Catholic FAQ

We were unable to reach our goal for the summer but we have reached 98%
Please consider donating if you can and keep us in your prayers.

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 25, '12, 1:38 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Do you buy/wear garage sale clothes for your family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOfThought View Post
Yesterday my hubby and I bought:

I got ALL of this for ... drum roll please..... $21!!!!! Cannot believe it!! Okay, I'm hooked!!!

It's in really good condition, nothings stained. This is going to save us a fortune!! Thank you everyone for the tips! Now I can't see why somebody would not do this!
Congratulations!! Welcome to the club!!!

Also - if bleach will ruin things, just use the warmest water the item can stand, and use soem oxy wash. It will brighten things up, and I doubt much will survive in the terms of germs. Besides - in order to really be effective in killing bacteria and germs with bleach, you need to use such a high concentration that it would ruin most clothing. Just wash the stuff and move on.

How fun!!!

Ohhh!!!!! Just remembered an item I bought recently at a yard sale. I found a HUGE gorgeous 1920s era numbered, framed lithograph in impressionist style, from a very sought after artist of the era. It is in black and white with touches of red, and depicts the Tower Bridge in London (most commonly mistakenly called "London Bridge"). I paid $7 for it. I looked up other numbered copies of these lithos and they have sold in auctions anywhere from the mid hundreds to low thousands of dollars depending on which image in the series. I won't sell it though, I really love it too much, and it looks fantastic in my office.

~Liza
Old Jun 25, '12, 9:53 pm

Religion: Monotheist

I don't do garage sales a lot, mostly because I rarely carry cash, but I love, love, love thrift stores!

Not only do I get great quality clothes at good prices, I don't have to give my money to large companies that may support questionable practices. Instead I can support local charities and good Christian programs. Sadly though, the St.Vincent near us is not a nice place to shop, but if I get over a couple towns there is a lovely one. I've gotten a beautiful silver rosary there for only $8!

Let's be honest, my girls do not want to wear Wal-Mart clothes. They want better quality, and I do also to be honest. A well fitting pair of a certain name brand jeans is worth 5 pairs of cheap ill fitting jeans, IMO.

Certainly I would never buy undergarmets, that's where my "yuck" factor would kick in. But real leather over the knee Prada boots for $15...oh yeah, I think I may have taken out a little old lady in my rush

New clothes come from grandma.
Old Jun 26, '12, 5:50 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamia View Post
I don't do garage sales a lot, mostly because I rarely carry cash, but I love, love, love thrift stores!

Not only do I get great quality clothes at good prices, I don't have to give my money to large companies that may support questionable practices. Instead I can support local charities and good Christian programs. Sadly though, the St.Vincent near us is not a nice place to shop, but if I get over a couple towns there is a lovely one. I've gotten a beautiful silver rosary there for only $8!

Let's be honest, my girls do not want to wear Wal-Mart clothes. They want better quality, and I do also to be honest. A well fitting pair of a certain name brand jeans is worth 5 pairs of cheap ill fitting jeans, IMO.

Certainly I would never buy undergarmets, that's where my "yuck" factor would kick in. But real leather over the knee Prada boots for $15...oh yeah, I think I may have taken out a little old lady in my rush

New clothes come from grandma.
undergarments is out for me too...can't do it LOL

Good for you!

Old Jun 26, '12, 6:25 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serap View Post
undergarments is out for me too...can't do it LOL

Good for you!
I have bought vintage slips at estate sales. Only if they are very new looking, I don't mind, I just wash them up. You can't find today the beautiful fabrics that older slips were made of, they just glide under a skirt or dress in a way that new fabrics just can't.

But that's my limit!!!! I'm not getting any more intimate than that with someone else's clothes! LOL

~Liza
Old Jun 26, '12, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
I have bought vintage slips at estate sales. Only if they are very new looking, I don't mind, I just wash them up. You can't find today the beautiful fabrics that older slips were made of, they just glide under a skirt or dress in a way that new fabrics just can't.

But that's my limit!!!! I'm not getting any more intimate than that with someone else's clothes! LOL

~Liza
Yeah...the quality of clothes was so much better 10 years ago.

Old Jun 26, '12, 12:36 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeah...the quality of clothes was so much better 10 years ago.
Oh no - I'm talking about stuff from the 50s/60s. Gorgeous lace and pleated bodices - beautiful things!!!

~Liza
Old Jun 28, '12, 4:57 am

Garage sales open today.. yay! Yes, you all may have really caused an addiction lol!

Old Jun 28, '12, 6:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOfThought View Post
Garage sales open today.. yay! Yes, you all may have really caused an addiction lol!
you were addicted before you even started this thread

Old Jun 28, '12, 6:24 am
Veteran Member

Check out this site for estate sales in your area: www.estatesales.net

Not typically a lot of kids stuff (at least I don't go to those types of sales, so maybe my experience is skewed) but great deals on grown up stuff if you are in the right neighborhood. How about men's Burberry suits for $5?? The deals are out there!!!

~Liza
Old Jun 28, '12, 7:58 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Yes.

Some of my purchases:

Sketcher shoes: $8
Nine West boots: $8
Banana Republic leather flats: $8

Tommy Girl Jacket: $10

Parasuco Jeans: $15
Guess skirt: $15

Aldo leather purse: $9

Dress pants: $10 each

My husband bought a pair of Armani pants for $20

My kids have gotten all kinds of toys. Tonka truck $5, Petshop House $5, Easy Bake Oven $5.

Kids' clothing all under $5 a piece (some with tags still on them)

Boy's Puma jacket for $8
My personal favourite was a Calvin Klein skirt for $4
Old Jun 28, '12, 8:17 am
Forum Master

For me it all started when I got pregnant the first time. I'd babysat for a family for two years while I was in nursing school and she had saved all her boys' clothes that was worth saving (i.e. Carter, OshKosh, and one other very excellent US brand that escapes me at the moment). She had newborn to 6. She asked if I'd like them. I guess I would!

I had a girl, but other than very special occasions when I'd dress her up, that kid was usually dressed in those boys clothes. She was comfortable and well dressed. It was kind of funny seeing her dressed in the clothes I could remember so well on those boys. She particularly liked one little pair of short overalls with tools appliqued on the bib. She outgrew most of those before she wore them out so when her brothers came along they also had full wardrobes. They all wore that little pair of short bib overalls.

One day I overheard them talk, "I think we should go shopping today." When I asked what they meant, they were talking about going through those boxes to see what they could find that they had grown into.

The two oldest now haunt Value Village for bargains and I usually accompany them when I'm visiting. In the provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia there is also a place called "Frenchy's" Most of the stuff is in bins, rather than hung up, but that's where I've picked up a Calvin Klein skirt for $4, black dress pants for work for $3, Land's End chinos for $3, etc.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting