Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 20, '11, 6:39 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB
Default Re: How common are locutions, and what does God's voice sound like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roveau View Post
I haven't heard of locutions either but they do make sense when God may have some simple advice to give us in time of need. I don't think they are common. But it seems some of you guys really have experienced them. Something for which you appear to be very thankful for.
Another very common saint who experienced these pretty much daily is Joan of Arc. Some considered her "voices" to be demonic, others a manifestation of mental illness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roveau View Post
I haven't heard of spiritual directors either before I joined CAF (sorry for raising this again). Who are these spiritual directors that can discern such matters, what qualifications do they have to be able to solve such issues? I haven't heard of any in my part of Australia.

This is a very interesting topic, thanks.
Some people who do spiritual direction, such as Joan of Arc's parish priest and her bishop, were not necessarily qualified to discern such matters. Although a spiritual director may be very well educated, they may not have experienced all the spiritual gifts, and may still not recognize them.

One of the best and simpliest ways to discern is "you will know them by their fruits". As has been testified by several on this thread, receiving a special gift of the HS will enrich a persons life, bring one closer to God, and make one more productive for the Kingdom.

Another good way to discern is whether the person is in submission to their authority. If they follow in obedience what they are directed by those whom God has placed over them they will sometimes be told not to speak of their expereinces, such as Hildegard of Bingen. If they are obedient, this shows the fruit of the Spirit.

Padre Pio was another one who experienced the Charisms mightily, but was directed to seclude himself while a period of discernment and investigation occurred to validate the many tales of his deeds.

St. John Bosco was deemed by his local authorities and spiritual director to be out of his mind, so they sent some priests, who kidnapped him and attempted to put him into the insane asylum.

Sometimes the powerful work of the HS in the life of a person frightens people.
"The tradition of the Apostles has been made manifest throughout the world, and can be found in every Church by those who wish to know the truth." -- Irenaeus, writing about A.D. 189, on how the unity of the Church was based on the Apostolic Tradition everywhere handed down (paradosis).

Old Jan 20, '11, 9:27 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Pentacostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell Jr View Post
hi dear friends ,,,

a definition for the last poster and all first ,

LOCUTION. A supernatural communication to the ear, imagination, or directly to the intellect. The locution is supernatural in the manner of communication, that is, beyond the ordinary laws of nature. Spurious locutions may come from the evil spirit and can be recognized by their lack of coherence or clarity, the disquiet they cause in the one who receives them, and the evil effects they produce in those who listen to them. (Etym. Latin locutio, a speaking, speech, discourse; from loqui, to speak.)

... i have had some good locitions and it's like a thought in your mind is deposited and just expounds as if being spoken to but no sounds or words , in your thoughts in your ,mind , a true locution from god is engraved on the memory so it can never be forgotten , some i had are : in order to understand how much our lord suffered one must first be able to love as perfectly as god loves then be sunbjected to the rejection , torture and crucifixion out lord was subjected to , since gods love is infinite gods sufferiung was infinite ( if we reject god this causes the real suffering i deduced ...

... 2 others are : god does everything his children need , and , everything god does is motivated by love ( i had this at the end of several yrs of extreme suffering ) ...

... i had one from the devil telling me i wanted to suffer more than anyone , a sort of test and though the voice was in thought it was evil ...

... hope this sheds some light on the subject ???

... god bless you ,,,

... john ...
John-

Thank you very much for the definition, and indeed for the etemology of the word as well. It does indeed help. This topic is interesting to me, of course as a Pentacostal I have heard of such things, just under different terms. I personally have not had an experience like this, but it sounds both wonderful and scary at the same time. Like I said, interesting. I look forward to reading what others have to say on this topic in the future.
Old Jan 20, '11, 9:27 am
Trial Membership

Religion: Pentacostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Russell Jr View Post
hi dear friends ,,,

a definition for the last poster and all first ,

LOCUTION. A supernatural communication to the ear, imagination, or directly to the intellect. The locution is supernatural in the manner of communication, that is, beyond the ordinary laws of nature. Spurious locutions may come from the evil spirit and can be recognized by their lack of coherence or clarity, the disquiet they cause in the one who receives them, and the evil effects they produce in those who listen to them. (Etym. Latin locutio, a speaking, speech, discourse; from loqui, to speak.)

... i have had some good locitions and it's like a thought in your mind is deposited and just expounds as if being spoken to but no sounds or words , in your thoughts in your ,mind , a true locution from god is engraved on the memory so it can never be forgotten , some i had are : in order to understand how much our lord suffered one must first be able to love as perfectly as god loves then be sunbjected to the rejection , torture and crucifixion out lord was subjected to , since gods love is infinite gods sufferiung was infinite ( if we reject god this causes the real suffering i deduced ...

... 2 others are : god does everything his children need , and , everything god does is motivated by love ( i had this at the end of several yrs of extreme suffering ) ...

... i had one from the devil telling me i wanted to suffer more than anyone , a sort of test and though the voice was in thought it was evil ...

... hope this sheds some light on the subject ???

... god bless you ,,,

... john ...
John-

Thank you very much for the definition, and for the etemology of the word as well. It does indeed help. This topic is interesting to me, of course as a Pentacostal I have heard of such things, just under different terms. I personally have not had an experience like this, but it sounds both wonderful and scary at the same time. Like I said, interesting. I look forward to reading what others have to say on this topic in the future.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality