Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 25, '12, 4:56 pm

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Desperatly need help over Sunday worship!

Made it to sola scriptura I usually do pretty well here. However this is his response to me asking what his church did 300 years prior to the cannonization of scripture.

Quote:
Before the new testament was formally canonized they still had the Tanakh "which is able to make you wise unto salvation" there is really nothing new in the so called new testament it's just a reaffirmation.
I really don't think these guys are SDAs they don't believe they can eat meat because of the law. They only believe the sacrafices of the old law was done away with. They don't believein the Trinity. And someone mentioned the early church was a Jewish sect called the Nazarenes?

This is all new to me. How would you handle the quote above?
Old Jun 25, '12, 5:25 pm

Religion: Cradle Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odell View Post
He has taken the time to respond to each passage and my silence has given him the comfort of believing he is right!
I'm surprised Heb 10 wasn't brought up

In scripture, missing mass deliberately on Sunday, is a mortal sin

Heb 10:
23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful; 24 and let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. 26 For if we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27* but a fearful prospect of judgment, and a fury of fire which will consume the adversaries. 28* A man who has violated the law of Moses dies without mercy at the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29* How much worse punishment do you think will be deserved by the man who has spurned the Son of God, and profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and outraged the Spirit of grace?

one will ask

By deliberately failing to meet on Sunday (the Day) as is the habit of some
  • why is that already considered a grave sin
  • why is there no sacrifice for sins for the one who deliberately fails to meet.
  • why is ther a profaning of the blood of the covenant for failing to meet
  • why does it spurn the son of God and outrage the spirit of grace by failing to meet
  • why is the punishment for that person a fearful prospect of judgement and a fury of fire because the person is considered an adversary of God for failing to meet
To answer that
  • What is it that they do when they meet? What is the sacrifice for sin and blood of the covenant ? Itís the Eucharist. The summit of our faith. Matthew 26:28 This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. Jesus the son of God said those words instituting the Eucharist. Jesus further describes the importance of the Eucharist for the soul. Jn 6:53 unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. Life of the soul is grace. And Jesus said, "do this in memory of me"[Lk 22:19]
Therefore, the one who deliberately misses the Eucharist on Sunday, after being given the knowledge of truth,
    • no sacrifice for sin is left for THEM
    • they profane the blood of the covenant
    • they spurn the son of God & outrage the spirit of grace
  • judgment awaits them
That's how important the Eucharist is. That's why it is a mortal sin to deliberately miss mass on Sunday. Protestants can't fulfill that command of Our Lord's because they don't have the Eucharist.
Old Jun 25, '12, 5:53 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odell View Post
Made it to sola scriptura I usually do pretty well here. However this is his response to me asking what his church did 300 years prior to the cannonization of scripture...
Although I only know a portion of your exchange with him, it seems like he is dodging your question. Did his response actually address what you asked?

Quote:
I really don't think these guys are SDAs they don't believe they can eat meat because of the law. They only believe the sacrafices of the old law was done away with. They don't believein the Trinity.
It sounds like they are really out there in the fringes of Judeo-Christian theology. This person's statement that there "is nothing new in the so called new testament" is almost too absurd to respond to. Without the New Testament there are no Scriptural teachings regarding the fulfillment of the messianic prophecies, atonement for the sins of humanity, full reconciliation between fallen creation and the Creator, the divinity of Christ, the Apostolic Church, deliverance from most of the observances of the Law of Moses, and the sacraments.

Quote:
And someone mentioned the early church was a Jewish sect called the Nazarenes?
I'm not sure exactly what they are referring to. I think they mean the Nazarites, which is an observance of Judaism according to special rules and strict living. They are considered consecrated to God in a very profound way. Both Samson and John the Baptist were Nazarites, and you can read more about this practice here.

On the other hand, a Nazarene refers to someone from the town of Nazareth, and the Christian denomination known as the Church of the Nazarene takes its name from this (referring, of course, to Christ).
Old Jul 22, '12, 1:23 am

Religion: Catholic

These are not SDA's. They're Christians (even though they wouldn't call themselves that) who call themselves Torah Observant Followers of Yeshua or Messianic Jews. And their beliefs on matters vary depending on congregations.
I dabbled around in this for 3+ years and every thing that person wrote to you Odell I used to spew out as well. I used to be a Sabbath keeping, feast keeping, kosher eating, His name is Yeshua, not Jesus, Torah keeping believer. It's really twisted considering they really do not keep the whole Torah anyway. They say it's not bondage, but I disagree. After my 3 year mark I was becoming miserable with trying to keep all the laws perfectly while believing in Jesus Christ's grace upon me. Eventually He removed the scales from my eyes and freed me from that mess. HalleluYAH!
It's a movement that's really taken off in the 2000's. Usually made up of disgruntled Christians fed up with the church world. They are extremely anti Catholic, more so than say a typical fundamentalist Protestant. The good thing is, I know of many folks who were also caught up in this who are now coming or returning back to the Catholic and Orthodox faith. Thank GOD He is opening up eyes, ears, and hearts and showing the way back home to His wayward sheep.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics