Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 7, '12, 2:29 pm

Default Re: Army's new drill sergeants teach rather than yell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
Thank you for your service. You are tough.
Aww shucks... I dunno. Being sick really changed me. Never thought it would beat me down so much, but it did. I guess I learned it isn't all in my hands, but Someone else's.

There's a place and time for the yelling/smok'n out... like before chow.lol.Tim
Old Jul 7, '12, 2:37 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson01 View Post
Aww shucks... I dunno. Being sick really changed me. Never thought it would beat me down so much, but it did. I guess I learned it isn't all in my hands, but Someone else's.

There's a place and time for the yelling/smok'n out... like before chow.lol.Tim

Sounds like a special story. Im sure if you shared your struggle on a thread you could touch many hearts.
Old Jul 7, '12, 3:12 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas2282 View Post
I think you are missing the point of the argument, its about yelling vs not yelling. And besides the point, you can maybe provide examples when referring to techniques that would have one thrown in jail. Again my argument is yelling isn't the only way.. talk and still intimidate, as far as conditioning one to stress, there are plenty of exercises and trainings a recruit can go thru without getting yelled at.
Heck I was yelled at and was hit once, by my DI when I was at the rifle range.

It was my screw up and I remembered never to make the mistake again.

Jim
Old Jul 7, '12, 4:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR-OCDS View Post
Heck I was yelled at and was hit once, by my DI when I was at the rifle range.

It was my screw up and I remembered never to make the mistake again.

Jim
you know what maybe you are right, after all who am I to discredit your experience. I was just saying there must be better ways right? or is it just wishful think from my part? who knows.
Old Jul 7, '12, 6:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Olszewski View Post
Nonsense. Our Army turned and ran with their tails between their legs.
That IS nonsense. American troops were not even there when the Communists broke the peace treaty and invaded the South (with the Viet Cong already there).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sLxzmvW41o < The treaty and release of US airmen and others held as Prisoners of War.

Abandoning the besieged Embassy using military helicopters is not the same thing at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AiyFF9qOls

Those brave helicopter pilots made many trips to try to rescue not only embassy staff but South Vietnamese friendlies who would have been in danger. To make room for REFUGEES on the decks of the air craft carriers the US commanders dumped the copters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdR2I...eature=related < copters dumped at 4:00 on this tape. The media commentator is painfully neutral and never mentions the broken treaty - at times verges on lionizing the North Vietnamese on their "day of victory".

That day was April 30, 1975 (Valpergis Night - a satanic pagan holiday six months from Halloween for those inclined to spiritual thrillers: eve of May Day, atheistic Communism's unholiday).

I was proud of the Army's people-over-helicopters priorities that day.

Presidents Nixon and Ford were undercut by Congress regarding funding of the war - and forced to abandon free Cambodia in the bargain, resulting in a Communist bloodbath called the Killing Fields IMO. This even though Nixon began withdrawing troops as early as 1969.

We did get (at least some) of our POWs returned to us with the "peace treaty;" but RICH, your comments came off as gloating that the US had been beaten. If that wasn't what you meant - be more careful.

The US was blessed with many new citizens and their descendants via the "war" - but the silver lining was attached to a cloud of shame. The situation was clouded by the logistics of Red China being so near by and a possibility of nuclear war - but America's non-intervention in the broken truce was abandoning an ally. And the Communist troops took advantage.

I might say that the idea of "Vietnamization" (the South Vietnamese taking over for the US troops when they left) failed -- but "Our Army turned and ran with their tails between their legs." ??? Moly Hoses - for your health's sake don't shout that sentence in a bar in a weak moment.

Germane to this thread I remember a quick story of an army chaplain who confronted a foul mouthed sergeant who kept taking the Lord's name in vain.

"God doesn't DAMN anything - He died for us on a CROSS to keep us from being DAMNED!" the good chaplain said (yelling as WELL as teaching come to think of it).

The Sergeant took him aside, apologized for his lack of discipline, then went back to training his men. He yelled a lot - but never - so the story goes saying "God Damn" or its variations again.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News