Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 2, '12, 2:29 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: "Catholic" By title, driving me nuts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillianRose View Post
Thank you!! It is true. My husband and I sent our kids to Catholic School so they could be with "Like" minded people to build their foundation and INVEST in their heart. We teach them and practice our faith at home. I want them to learn now to talk about Christ and learn about their faith, because in this secular world you can't. It makes me sick that their are people volunteering and in the administration that hold VERY anti-CAtholic and Anti-Christian beliefs. It should not be ok in a Catholic School to tell other parents, which most, don't know alot about their own Catholic Faith. I am not going to tattle. I just know that it has been a failed dream of the Catholic School to think that these people are going to turn to the Catholic Faith. They don't have any intention of being coming Catholic and I think it is time the Catholic Church becomes more exclusive. I hear what they say and what draws the line for me is when they say the bible isnt real and Jesus is not the only way to heaven. Things like that is CRAZY talk!!!! IMO I am fine with their nonsense until they start bad mouthings, Jesus, Church and Priest. How is that different then the public schools. I am preparing my Children for when they are out of their bubble and have a strong foundation. For that I will have to answer to God!
I would take a deep breath and start correcting these statements when you hear them. You have to be prepared to do this in kindness, and with more respect than the speakers are affording the Church. "Excuse me, I don't mean to intrude, but did I hear you say just now that the Bible is nothing but a collection of stories? Are you implying that the Bible is not the revealed truth of Jesus Christ" And then be prepared to follow up after they answer! If this is a teacher or administrator, be sure to speak loudly enough for others to hear! "Mrs. Smith, does this belief of yours enter into your classroom?"

I would confront it wherever and whenever it reared its head. Also, talk to the principal about your concerns. Do it kindly and charitably, but express your concern that there are people teaching the children what amounts to heresy. If you get nowhere with the principal, consider taking it to your Diocese.
Old Jul 2, '12, 2:53 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
I would take a deep breath and start correcting these statements when you hear them. You have to be prepared to do this in kindness, and with more respect than the speakers are affording the Church. "Excuse me, I don't mean to intrude, but did I hear you say just now that the Bible is nothing but a collection of stories? Are you implying that the Bible is not the revealed truth of Jesus Christ" And then be prepared to follow up after they answer! If this is a teacher or administrator, be sure to speak loudly enough for others to hear! "Mrs. Smith, does this belief of yours enter into your classroom?"

I would confront it wherever and whenever it reared its head. Also, talk to the principal about your concerns. Do it kindly and charitably, but express your concern that there are people teaching the children what amounts to heresy. If you get nowhere with the principal, consider taking it to your Diocese.
Thanks...I love the Catholic School. I love the Religous education. I love that the children start with our Faith in Kindergarten. I love that they love MASS!! I love that my three year old runs around the grocery store telling people Jesus died for you but he lives!!! I love that they ask me every nite to read them "Jesus" stories. I love that my son draws pictures of the Crucifiction and reserrection. We love our Priest, We love our Sister. I just don't know why the care "about things, not your neighbor", say what ever you want to who ever you want, attitude is coming from. It is not the Catholic School I grew up in. Maybe the first 20 people are just bad seeds. I do have 520 more families at my sons school I have not met yet!!!
“Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven." Matthew 10 vs 32 NASB
Old Jul 2, '12, 2:57 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjohnson View Post
As a parent, you have my sympathy!

I send my children to the Lutheran school - it costs $5000 per year too. They do such a good job in faith formation that my children wind up teaching me! I think it's reasonable to expect that from your child's school, so in my opinion, you are wise to be concerned.

You may want to look around for another Catholic school - I know the local parish that is filled with immigrant children would have been a great fit for my child,but we couldn't get the parish discount

I did get some advice from someone who I respected and they said that any child can survive almost any educational environment as long as mom and dad continue the child's education at home - I needed that advice when I didn't know if I could afford a christian school. If you have to pull you child out, and the money savings could free up your family's time to continue their education at home, you may want to consider that as well.

The LUtheran School in our neighborhood is a lot smaller, but they beat the Catholic School Hands down in religion. I was blown away at their religious education program. I have this root of being Catholic that the Guilt is too great to leave. Not to mention Luther's catecism and the Catholic Church are very different in a lot of aspects. Its not something I could do lightly. Actual, it would make me just as bad as the parents I complain about!! lol
“Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven." Matthew 10 vs 32 NASB
Old Jul 2, '12, 3:15 pm

Religion: Catholic .

In addition to standing up for the faith when it's appropriate, we also need to have working realtionships with people who are "deficient" iin their faith. If you don't have a charitable, patient, and tolerant working realtionship with those who offend you, they will not listen to you anyway. So then, what's the point? You will be correct on your theology, but people will not absorb it. So that just makes you correct, it doesn't make you an evangelist. This is one of the huge challenges of the Christian life. It requires humility,wisdom, discretion. We are not called to simply correct people's deficiencies whenever and wherever we hear them. The world is a difficult and messy place, and if you get this irritated over people's varying stages of faith, it will be tough for you to find peace, -or to bring it to anyone else-.
Old Jul 2, '12, 3:19 pm

Religion: Catholic .

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
It has taken 40 years for Catholics to be influenced to live mostly as the world does. This did not happen overnight. Please realize that. The Church needs faithful Catholics like you. No, none of us are perfect, but we are to focus on Jesus and living out our faith.

Peace,
Ed
40 years? (I gues that would take us back to like 1962??)
The struggle with faith starts in the garden.
Old Jul 2, '12, 4:02 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem456 View Post
In addition to standing up for the faith when it's appropriate, we also need to have working realtionships with people who are "deficient" iin their faith. If you don't have a charitable, patient, and tolerant working realtionship with those who offend you, they will not listen to you anyway. So then, what's the point? You will be correct on your theology, but people will not absorb it. So that just makes you correct, it doesn't make you an evangelist. This is one of the huge challenges of the Christian life. It requires humility,wisdom, discretion. We are not called to simply correct people's deficiencies whenever and wherever we hear them. The world is a difficult and messy place, and if you get this irritated over people's varying stages of faith, it will be tough for you to find peace, -or to bring it to anyone else-.
I never said I know everything. God did not make me an evangelist. I read what the others write and I will never be able to absorb the details they know. I do know not to run my mouth and make statements against CHRIST!!
Old Jul 3, '12, 9:53 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Yes mark that is what i mean. They are saying things that we don't need jesus to go to heaven. They are using it as a private school and some are not even Catholic and hate the Catholic Faith.......So yes, I will judge them not to have my children hang out with them.
Jullian,

It is one thing to judge "someone" and quite another to make the prudential judgment to limit yours and your childrens contact with them.

I would refer you to CCC 1861 the last sentence of which says, "However, although we can judge that an act is in itself a grave offense, we must entrust judgment of persons to the justice and mercy of God" Possibly I am incorrect but I have always been taught that the judgment of "persons" is reserved to God.

Do you see the distinction? You have every right to judge their actions and statements and to limit your contact with them based on their actions and statements. But as to judging them, the person, and the state of their immortal soul--that I do not think you have the right to do--and when we do this--we do it at our own peril. If I am wrong I am sure someone will quickly chastise and correct me.

The peace of Christ,
Mark
Old Jul 3, '12, 10:00 am

Quote:
I never said I know everything. God did not make me an evangelist. I read what the others write and I will never be able to absorb the details they know. I do know not to run my mouth and make statements against CHRIST!!
We are all called to be evangelists. If you live your life in accordance with Christs teachings, if you love your neighbor as yourself, if you pray for your enemies--you will be evangelizing. Do not sell yourself short--you know more than you think. You know enough to answer questions that might arise based on how you live--you can tell people who ask why you live as you do--and you know where to get the answer or where to send them to get the answers that you don't know.

The peace of Christ,
Mark
Old Jul 4, '12, 11:17 am

Quote:
or where to send them to get the answers that you don't know.
Yea, you send them to me, at least if it pertains to scripture

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism