Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 7, '12, 11:39 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic, Cradle Catholic (10 Days Old)
Smile Isn't it important to be married in the Church? ...

I am so, so, so very happy that my oldest son was recently married in the Catholic Church, at West Point... the day after he graduated. I was also honored, to be able to read one of the readings at their marriage mass. I don't know if I'm more excited that he graduated from West Point, or that he married a good Catholic girl and that he had a Catholic wedding. For those here who think that God is "wherever you are", and I believe that too but probably in a difference sense.... isn't it important to be married in the Church? ...
Your thoughts?

Jimmy B.

May the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all - Go in Peace.
Old Jun 7, '12, 11:44 pm

Religion: Catholic - Roman rite
Default Re: Isn't it important to be married in the Church? ...

Thanks for sharing. May God bless them, and guide them in this new important life as one flesh!. I hope I may marry a good catholic girl someday, Amen!.

(By the way, I think this is more appropriate for family life sub-forum.)

...And so I take my sister E_7 NOT for any lustful motive, but I do it in singleness of heart. Be kind enough to have pity on her and on me and bring us to old age together.
Old Jun 8, '12, 1:25 am

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to jonathanw

My wife and I got married in the Church, and we both believed it was the right way to start our marriage. Earlier that year I received confirmation and my first holy communion, so for me it was a very special thing.
Old Jun 8, '12, 1:28 am
Banned

Religion: Not a believer

Congratulations! Great photo. When I first glanced at it I mistook that elegant bouquet for a Maltese dog! Old eyes, I am afraid. Leaving aside the religious issues, I think those of us who do not believe do miss out on the benefits of Church architecture. So many buildings available for functions are well, functional. Churches invest in beauty. We non-believers often miss out in the choices we have to make. Not that I don't think my in-laws have a nice living room...
Old Jun 8, '12, 6:03 am

Yes, vitally important. Can't imagine doing it any other way.

And on a side note...my what a handsome lad! And his bride is just lovely! Ahhhhhh, memories...
Old Jun 8, '12, 6:44 am

Congratulations--what a beautiful couple! May God bless their marriage always.
Old Jun 8, '12, 7:55 am

Religion: Episcopalian

My wife and I were civilly married and later had a convalidation, in a Catholic Church of course, which was important to her and her family. Her younger brother had just been ordained as a Catholic priest, and he was able to officiate.

My parents were in a similar situation, Dad was a lapsed Catholic and Mom was non-Catholic and they married in a civil ceremony. They had a convalidation when I was a teenager. It may have been helpful for them on some level, but it didn't make sense to their kids. We knew that our Catholic relatives didn't consider Mom and Dad married, and it just seemed like they were buying into that. My older brother was really bitter about that, me, not so much.

I think if the couple believe it's important, it is, but civil marriage is important too. I wouldn't want to tell anybody that they or their parents aren't really married without a church ceremony, Catholic or not.
Old Jun 8, '12, 2:27 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post

I am so, so, so very happy that my oldest son was recently married in the Catholic Church, at West Point... the day after he graduated. I was also honored, to be able to read one of the readings at their marriage mass. I don't know if I'm more excited that he graduated from West Point, or that he married a good Catholic girl and that he had a Catholic wedding. For those here who think that God is "wherever you are", and I believe that too but probably in a difference sense.... isn't it important to be married in the Church? ...
Your thoughts?
I pray God's countless blessing on your son and his wife, and may you be blessed as well, Jimmy.

I absolutely agree with you. My personal experience is we were married in the parish my wife and I were members of. We had a full Eucharistic service, and my dad, who was a Lutheran pastor, travelled to assist our pastor in our wedding. As he passed away not long after our wedding, I have received great joy and memories of that day - receiving His grace through word and sacrament, with my dad present.

Jon
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Jun 8, '12, 2:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post

Your thoughts?
Congratulations! I am not married,but I absolutely believe a couple should marry in the church. I actually was accepted into the U.S. Air Force Academy,but I turned it down due to the fact my mother became ill. I have no regrets going to a four year university and still joined the Air Force afterwards. May God bless them both and your families.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions