Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 4, '12, 8:17 am

Religion: (confused) pagan
Default how do you feel when your prayers are listened too?

Hi all,
Sometimes, say maybe one a week out of all the times that I pray I feel a real close connection to Mary, Jesus and God. I love these moments as I actually feel that someone is listening, that I can for a brief moment just glimpse at the grace of God. Its a similar feeling I have during the eucharist prayers in Mass, and as the bread and wine become the Body and Blood I feel such a deep peace and 'knowing' which is beyond words. If there is one thing that is bringing me closer to the Church during my own confused time is the Eucharist and being before the Blessed Sacrament.

But its led me to wonder if others feel the same, if perhaps you only feel that you get that 'connected' feeling once in a while through prayer? Or do you get it everytime? Sometimes I feel like I could be on my knees begging and there is no comfort, no solace and no presence around me, which other times I do. And when you feel that presence does it feel similar to you as well you are before Body of Christ?
Old Jul 4, '12, 8:38 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: how do you feel when your prayers are listened too?

Earlier today I almost felt I could see Mary looking at me. I couldn't see her visually, of course, but in my mind I said, "its Her!" And I felt that she really was concerned about me and knew I needed her. Then Ijust started saying the Divine Praises.

I felt like she was maybe connecting with me to let me know she really is my Mom and is not going to leave me, as I sometimes feel she might. Make sense?
Old Jul 4, '12, 9:19 am

As we grow and mature in our prayer life we do not focus on what we are feeling. Through prayer we grow in love and trust in our Lord, and focus on our commitment to practice virtue whether we feel good about it or not.

At Mass and Holy Communion if we feel nothing at all we make acts of faith in the Presence of the Lord and ask Him for what we need to follow Him more closely.
Old Jul 4, '12, 9:24 am

Religion: CATHOLIC

I feel at peace,when my prayers are listened to. It's a feeling I can't put to words but I am taking it . Having been away for 20 years and doing a lot of things I am not to proud of, it's a miracle I am able to pray. Since my journey back to GOD, I feel happy and at peace, knowing I am in good company with GOD, JESUS, and MOTHER MARY. Keep the faith, it is amazing
Old Jul 4, '12, 9:36 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
As we grow and mature in our prayer life we do not focus on what we are feeling. Through prayer we grow in love and trust in our Lord, and focus on our commitment to practice virtue whether we feel good about it or not.

At Mass and Holy Communion if we feel nothing at all we make acts of faith in the Presence of the Lord and ask Him for what we need to follow Him more closely.

Yes, yes, yes............ However, Our Lord gave us feelings to use too! We commune with Our Lord with feelings as well as the will. Assuredly, not all of the time of course.
Old Jul 4, '12, 9:36 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirandaRiver View Post
......Sometimes I feel like I could be on my knees begging and there is no comfort, no solace and no presence around me, which other times I do.......
Dear MirandaRiver thank you for sharing about this part of your spiritual journey. I assure you that you are NOT alone! One thing that may help is to put your feelings or your emotions into perspective. Although human emotions are a gift from God, how you "feel" is not necessarily an accurate way to measure things, especially on how close you are to God or how close God is to you.

Many people have experienced spiritual dryness. Read about St. John of the Cross and the "Dark Night of the Soul" That feeling that God is not there, that he is distant, far away and not listening. I have come to beleive that these are the times we can really grow in our spiritual life!

Praying to God when it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling is wonderful! When I am at Mass and I seem to feel God's love it is the best thing ever! Then there are all the rest of the times, and dare I say the majority when prayer life seems stagnant. My mind wanders, the readings at Mass don't seem to inspire me, God seems distant and far away and I don't feel the power of his presence. Yet I PERSIST in the prayer because I know he is there. God loves prayer of course, but praying to him when it makes you feel all warm and loved can be, well, easy. I beleive that when God sees me struggling and bored and sees that I am praying anyway, that he rewards me with more grace then I can ever imagine! That is because I am worshipping Him out of obedience because he is my Almighty God and Savior and He gave His life for me.

Think of the cross, do you think Jesus "felt connected" to God the Father at that time? At the time he felt pain, humiliation and cried out in sadness feeling abandoned, yet he was more CONNECTED to God the Father then anyone will ever be since He and the Father are one with the Holy Spirit in the Trinity and the crucifixion is the ultimate act of love!
Old Jul 4, '12, 10:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirandaRiver View Post
Hi all,
Sometimes, say maybe one a week out of all the times that I pray I feel a real close connection to Mary, Jesus and God. I love these moments as I actually feel that someone is listening, that I can for a brief moment just glimpse at the grace of God. Its a similar feeling I have during the eucharist prayers in Mass, and as the bread and wine become the Body and Blood I feel such a deep peace and 'knowing' which is beyond words. If there is one thing that is bringing me closer to the Church during my own confused time is the Eucharist and being before the Blessed Sacrament.

But its led me to wonder if others feel the same, if perhaps you only feel that you get that 'connected' feeling once in a while through prayer? Or do you get it everytime? Sometimes I feel like I could be on my knees begging and there is no comfort, no solace and no presence around me, which other times I do. And when you feel that presence does it feel similar to you as well you are before Body of Christ?
When you are at Mass, you are literally in heaven. No wonder you feel a special closeness to the heavenly occupants. Yes, that feeling of peace is real and satisfying. If you always keep in mind that you are listened to when you pray, you will not be concerned when your emotions are not heightened. God is there. Sometimes He chooses not to make His presence obvious. There was one time, however when, after returning from reception of Communion, I asked a favor of Him. He chose to answer me with a human voice. I can't tell you the effects of an experience like that. We so often wonder if our prayers are being heard. No longer will that question ever again enter my head. I was not expecting to hear the voice of God until I met Him at my personal judgment. So, don't be discouraged if you feel that no one is listening, and no one caes. I can tell you from personal experience that God cares and is always aware of your prayers. God bless.
Old Jul 4, '12, 10:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimzovik View Post
Yes, yes, yes............ However, Our Lord gave us feelings to use too! We commune with Our Lord with feelings as well as the will. Assuredly, not all of the time of course.
Right!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality