Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 3, '12, 6:51 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (newbie)
Default SFO questions

I have barely begun to investigate Third Orders and I may need to wait a year or more before discerning a vocation, but I am curious. I have contacted a local fraternity of Secular Franciscans for advice and information, but I haven't given them very much time to respond.

I came across an interpretation of the Rule of 1221 that allows only "earthy" or blue colors for clothing. Is this universal among Secular Franciscans, or do some fraternities allow greater variety? (I notice that the author of "Reflections of a Secular Franciscan", which I've only skimmed so far, appears to be wearing a white shirt in her cover photo.)

I very rarely remember to pray before meals, partly because eating is just another activity that I do occasionally throughout the day. Any advice on being mindful about food is welcomed.

I notice that meals are restricted to 2 per day, 3 if difficult labor is required, and no snacks between. I assume that this means that the whole meal must be consumed in one sitting. As I mentioned above, I eat small amounts throughout the day (out of habit, not for medical reasons); am I correct in thinking that it would be unacceptable to seperate the equivalent of 2-3 meals into snack-size chunks?

Would the SFO community help me or tell me what to do to be useful to society besides my job and family responsibilities, or do I have to invent my own plan?

When I read the Morning and Evening LOTHs (or any prayer), am I really praying, or am I just processing information out loud? Does this require meditation? I don't meditate well. For example, it is very difficult for me to imagine the mysteries of the rosary while reciting the accompanying prayers.

Is there a "how-to" guide for monthly confession? I am very skittish about approaching the sacrament of reconciliation in general, but especially for non-mortal sins.

I think that is all for now. I apologize if I have misused terminology; it is still unfamiliar to me.
“...one cannot arrive at Bethlehem by skipping over Jerusalem, or rather, without taking into account what the Scriptures say. The star–in the heavens and in one’s heart–confirms that the Messiah is born, but where and why are revealed by the prophets.”
Sr. Elena Bosetti, SJBP
Old Jun 4, '12, 6:13 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic, OFS
Default Re: SFO questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretaryMonday View Post
I came across an interpretation of the Rule of 1221 that allows only "earthy" or blue colors for clothing. Is this universal among Secular Franciscans, or do some fraternities allow greater variety? (I notice that the author of "Reflections of a Secular Franciscan", which I've only skimmed so far, appears to be wearing a white shirt in her cover photo.)
The Secular Franciscan Order goes by a newer Rule then the Rule of 1221. There is no requirement on what color of clothes you should wear.

Quote:
I very rarely remember to pray before meals, partly because eating is just another activity that I do occasionally throughout the day. Any advice on being mindful about food is welcomed.
SFO has no requirements on praying before or after meals. However it is a good practice.

Quote:
I notice that meals are restricted to 2 per day, 3 if difficult labor is required, and no snacks between. I assume that this means that the whole meal must be consumed in one sitting. As I mentioned above, I eat small amounts throughout the day (out of habit, not for medical reasons); am I correct in thinking that it would be unacceptable to seperate the equivalent of 2-3 meals into snack-size chunks?
Again, there is no requirement to do this, except on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday like everyone else in the Catholic Church that is of right age and physically able. To see the current rule go to the following web-site.

http://www.nafra-sfo.org

You can see the Rule, the Constitutions and the US statutes.

Quote:
Would the SFO community help me or tell me what to do to be useful to society besides my job and family responsibilities, or do I have to invent my own plan?
As long as there is no conflict between what you do in your life and Catholicism, SFO itself will not step into your duties. That is between you, your family, and/or your spiritual director. You may change how you do things based on the development of Franciscan ideals. If you want advice I am sure people will be willing to give it to you.

Quote:
When I read the Morning and Evening LOTHs (or any prayer), am I really praying, or am I just processing information out loud? Does this require meditation? I don't meditate well. For example, it is very difficult for me to imagine the mysteries of the rosary while reciting the accompanying prayers.
If you are just reading it, without no thought into what you are saying then you may not be doing it right. I highly suggest getting a spiritual advisor.

Quote:
Is there a "how-to" guide for monthly confession? I am very skittish about approaching the sacrament of reconciliation in general, but especially for non-mortal sins.
I have not seen a guide that shows any difference between going monthly, daily or yearly. Frequent reception of the sacrament of Reconciliation is required in SFO but they don't say how often.

Quote:
I think that is all for now. I apologize if I have misused terminology; it is still unfamiliar to me.
Feel free to ask any questions. If you want you can PM me. I am a professed member of SFO/OFS. You can also look at the Franciscan Spirituality social group. There is an entire thread on SFO questions.
where there is error, truth;
where there is doubt, faith ...
Old Jun 4, '12, 12:30 pm

Thank you very much for your response, Marauder. Wow! That is very different from what I had been reading.
“...one cannot arrive at Bethlehem by skipping over Jerusalem, or rather, without taking into account what the Scriptures say. The star–in the heavens and in one’s heart–confirms that the Messiah is born, but where and why are revealed by the prophets.”
Sr. Elena Bosetti, SJBP
Old Jun 4, '12, 3:17 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (Oblate of St Benedict-MotRC)

Quote:
Thank you very much for your response, Marauder. Wow! That is very different from what I had been reading.
There are some Associations that do do that. They are not the OFS (as the SFO is now called), though. They are following the old rule....that has been replaced, twice (if my count is correct). The only approved rule is the new one (1978).

<--click
Totus Tuus
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Jun 4, '12, 6:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Daniele View Post
There are some Associations that do do that. They are not the OFS (as the SFO is now called), though.
Oh, I see, they are SFO only backwards. Are they dyslexic? "What! You're wearing BROWN? No, no! We meant RED!"

(Kidding, sorry.)
Sr. Elena Bosetti, SJBP
Old Jun 4, '12, 7:16 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Oh, I see, they are SFO only backwards. Are they dyslexic? "What! You're wearing BROWN? No, no! We meant RED!"

(Kidding, sorry.)
Hi, Secretary Monday.

There are a lot of threads on this board about the Secular Franciscans and other lay Franciscan groups. You might try searching this forum.

I think what you read probably belonged to one of the lay groups, not the Secular Franciscans. The main OFS website is here: http://ciofs.org/portal/

Also there is a friar on these boards who knows a lot about Franciscans because he is one. He's especially knowledgeable too, about the OFS, because he's a spiritual assistant for a fraternity of Secular Franciscans in his local area. He's been very helpful and kind to all of us. His screen name is JReducation, his signature is Br JR.
Old Jun 5, '12, 3:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveangels View Post
Hi, Secretary Monday.

There are a lot of threads on this board about the Secular Franciscans and other lay Franciscan groups. You might try searching this forum.

I think what you read probably belonged to one of the lay groups, not the Secular Franciscans. The main OFS website is here: http://ciofs.org/portal/

Also there is a friar on these boards who knows a lot about Franciscans because he is one. He's especially knowledgeable too, about the OFS, because he's a spiritual assistant for a fraternity of Secular Franciscans in his local area. He's been very helpful and kind to all of us. His screen name is JReducation, his signature is Br JR.
Thank you!
Sr. Elena Bosetti, SJBP
Old Jun 5, '12, 1:25 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Thank you!
You're welcome!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations