Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 14, '12, 9:01 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Tattoo of an Aztec "god"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorillaman View Post
What's that see tide roll thing mean?
A famous University of Alabama Crimson Tide cheer is "Roll Tide" or "Roll Tide Roll". I was just having some fun with it, playing off of the famous "Dick and Jane" quote. The Tide certainly seems to be rolling this year, since we just picked up our fourth National Championship of the year in Women's Softball.
Old Jun 15, '12, 3:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide View Post
A famous University of Alabama Crimson Tide cheer is "Roll Tide" or "Roll Tide Roll". I was just having some fun with it, playing off of the famous "Dick and Jane" quote. The Tide certainly seems to be rolling this year, since we just picked up our fourth National Championship of the year in Women's Softball.
Nice. I go to Texas state, but I'm on summer break. Idk if we compete with y'all.
Old Jun 15, '12, 3:26 am

Regardless of what the tattoo is of, getting any kind of tattoo would be self-mutilation.

Getting a tattoo of a demon worshipped by a cult centered around human sacrifice adds to the problem, but it isn't the only problem.

Pax
Old Jun 15, '12, 3:41 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

If it's just for the art, it's just for the art. Just take the time to find a VERY good tattoo artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamp10988 View Post
I am mexican and have been infatuated with the indigenous populations of Mexico especially the Aztec and Mayan people. I would love to have a tattoo of quetzalcuatol wrapped around my arm not because I believe in him but because of the artwork and what he stands for. Supposedly it was their "god" of art and knowledge which are two main themes in my life. One I am a serious musician and engineering student. When most people think about engineering they think about nothing but math and science (which wouldn't be wrong) but I see more opportunities for creativity than that.
Old Jun 15, '12, 5:23 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTiming View Post
Sometimes we do have to think more about how things look to other people than to us.
So I guess Samuel should've talked back to God form chastising Him about counting on what his eyes told him huh? I mean, God should've thought about how Jesse's bigger sons would look to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTiming View Post
Why on earth would you want a representation of a false god etched onto your body?
The same way one of our most popular superheroes is based on one?

To the OP: I wouldn't worry about. As a fantasy nerd AND a Catholic, myths are in fact one of the most ancient yet most awesome products of human imagination. Much of the things we geeks love in the genre (from games to novels) can trace its roots all the way back to the mythologies of the world (along with the mythological side of medieval Christianity as well).

It's also funny how you mention the Guadalupe tattoo. That indeed is just further proof that people shouldn't judge you for what you decorate your body with. There are just as many criminals who deceived people's trust by dressing themselves in the garb of integrity (e.g. police, doctors, teachers, and let's not forget the priests) as those who looked the part. Symbols themselves don't stand the test of time when it comes their meaning. Look at the cross. Once, a symbol of death and Roman tyranny. Now, it's a symbol of faith.

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Jun 15, '12, 8:15 am

I assume you are still young? I am too, I'm 24. But I know that most people when they get older regret getting tattoos. If you think about it, tattoos are really, really stupid. They aren't impressive and the older you get the trashier they look. What would you accomplish in putting this permanent mark on your body? If you like art, then take up painting. Don't mark yourself up.
Old Jul 3, '12, 6:16 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to John oxios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamp10988 View Post
I stated it was because of my heritage, artwork, and what it stands for. Those are the only 3 reasons why I want it. The reason I ask is because you are not supposed to have any other gods besides our God. quetzalcuatl is not my god nor do I believe in him. That is my argument. But I can also see the otherside's argument.

Your Gifts and talents come from the One True God, and you'd want honor quetzalcuatol (the feathered serpent god) as your ancestry imagery?

It's like the 10 lepers, only one came back to Worship and praise Christ.

Similarities is not sameness,

Among the Aztecs, whose beliefs are the best-documented in the historical sources, Quetzalcoatl was related to gods of the wind, of Venus, of the dawn, of merchants and of arts, crafts and knowledge. He was also the patron god of the Aztec priesthood, of learning and knowledge.

he Aztec later made him a symbol of death and resurrection and a patron of priests. The higher priests were called Quetzalcoatl too. The god has a great affinity with the priest-king Topiltzin Ce Acatl Quetzalcoatl, who ruled the Toltecs in Tula in the 10th century. The cult of Quetzalcoatl was widespread in Teotihuacan (ca. 50km northeast of Mexico City), Tula (or Tullán, capitol of the Toltecs in middle Mexico), Xochilco, Cholula, Tenochtitlan (the current Mexico City), and Chichen Itza.

Apparently this god fits into the Mormon theology

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Some Mormon scholars believe that Quetzalcoatl, who has been described as a white, bearded god who came from the sky and promised to return, was actually Jesus Christ. According to the Book of Mormon, Jesus visited the American natives after his resurrection.[13]

Mormon church President John Taylor wrote:

The story of the life of the Mexican divinity, Quetzalcoatl, closely resembles that of the Savior; so closely, indeed, that we can come to no other conclusion than that Quetzalcoatl and Christ are the same being. But the history of the former has been handed down to us through an impure Lamanitish source.[14]
These ideas were adapted by science fiction author and Mormon Orson Scott Card in his story America.

But the Mormons believe Christ as a god, not God.

May I suggest Our Lady Od Guadeloupe.

God bless,
John

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality