Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: To what degree is the Catholic Church infected with secularism?
none 10 37.04%
a little 6 22.22%
moderately 5 18.52%
considerably 5 18.52%
extremely 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 12, '12, 6:22 am

Religion: Catholic - revert in 1993
Default To what degree is the Vatican and EWTN negatively affected by secularism?

It seems to me that secularism has infected the Catholic Church. It's true that the Church needs to preach to those in the secular world, but in doing so risks getting 'dirty' with the thinking of the secular world. The only safe place for the holy is a monastery.

Fighting abortion and euthanasia are certainly noble causes, but in fighting people lose sight of the main purpose of th Catholic Church: To preach the Gospels to the godless people in the secular world. People need to repent and be saved. Once saved, the problem of abortion will disappear.

Mark 12:30
ĎAnd you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.'
Old Jun 12, '12, 7:36 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: To what degree is the Vatican and EWTN negatively affected by secularism?

The two goals are not mutually exclusive.

God bless,
Bryan

I believe one of God's most under-appreciated gifts to us is the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
Old Jun 12, '12, 7:41 am

Religion: Catholic (Joined 2005)
Default Re: To what degree is the Vatican and EWTN negatively affected by secularism?

The Church is a hospital of sinners, not a hotel for saints.

We cannot and should not try to isolate ourselves from those who are too worldly. Else, we lose sight of the reason they are worldly and forget why we co-exist with these people to help them see what exists beyond. You create a false dichotomy.

Unlike the Olympian and Hindu myths, God did not keep Himself separate from us. He joined us, become one of us. Lived and died with us. Showed us how to fight without fighting. How to live without living it up. How to die without dying.

We, the Church, cannot fight back sin but not becoming part of the fight itself. Yet, Christ's teachings aid us in not becoming the monsters we fight.

"If I am not (in a state of grace), may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me." --St. Jeanne d'Arc

Old Jun 12, '12, 7:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
The Church is a hospital of sinners, not a hotel for saints.

We cannot and should not try to isolate ourselves from those who are too worldly. Else, we lose sight of the reason they are worldly and forget why we co-exist with these people to help them see what exists beyond. You create a false dichotomy.

Unlike the Olympian and Hindu myths, God did not keep Himself separate from us. He joined us, become one of us. Lived and died with us. Showed us how to fight without fighting. How to live without living it up. How to die without dying.

We, the Church, cannot fight back sin but not becoming part of the fight itself. Yet, Christ's teachings aid us in not becoming the monsters we fight.
I agree wholeheartedly that most of us should not isolate ourselves from the secular world (monks and hermits the exception). However, I still believe that to truly evangelize, one is necessarily affected by secularism to larger or lessor degree. Like the Pope, I believe that weekly sermons are not as effective as they should be.

ĎAnd you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.'
Old Jun 12, '12, 7:56 am

Religion: catholic

As the Pope said of the recent problem with his valet,[ he is not worried its in God's hands].
Old Jun 12, '12, 8:07 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sock View Post
The only safe place for the holy is a monastery.
Don't be so sure!
Old Jun 12, '12, 8:31 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByzCathCantor View Post
Don't be so sure!
You are correct!

Anywhere on earth, the best the holy can hope for is persecution...the only safe place for the holy is heaven!

Pax
Old Jun 12, '12, 9:17 am
Prayer Warrior

Talking Re: To what degree is the Vatican and EWTN negatively affected by secularism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencerian View Post
[b]The Church is a hospital of sinners, not a hotel for saints.[/

Very well said, yes Jesus expressed and led by "perfect" example; walk with, talk with, and teach with "love" for the sinner. We are the Christian Soldier and the Bible or Word our Armor "I shall fear no evil"! However, "Yes" we must beware of not becoming more worldly or sinful due this exposure, as at times, worldly acts often are glamorized...

I try to remind myself often of the high rate of depression, overdose, & unhappiness of the rich and famous! As one who has a degree in psychology, & who has then spent a few years reading stats within the mental health field of study here in the U.S. the rich actually have the highest rate of depression in the U.S. Why? What r the famous & rich missing?

Well they have all material needs met, they feed on delicacies everyday, they have the most wonderful shelter & clothing; the only needs left in the "Hierarchy of Needs" is Minding (a distinct type of hobby), Love relationship (a real one, not a lust filled or unfaithful one, & def. not a sinful live-in semi-commitment) as we see so often today these live-ins. But, Most importantly (I believe) found within the top of the individual's needs is Spirituality. The rich and famous just have a hole in their soul, Jesus and the Eucharist, is missing.
Old Jun 12, '12, 10:01 am
Prayer Warrior

Question Re: To what degree is the Vatican and EWTN negatively affected by secularism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sock View Post
It seems to me that secularism has infected the Catholic Church. It's true that the Church needs to preach to those in the secular world, but in doing so risks getting 'dirty' with the thinking of the secular world. The only safe place for the holy is a monastery.

Fighting abortion and euthanasia are certainly noble causes, but in fighting people lose sight of the main purpose of th Catholic Church: To preach the Gospels to the godless people in the secular world. People need to repent and be saved. Once saved, the problem of abortion will disappear.
I'm confused, are U saying "once saved, always saved" therefore, a person won't commit sinful acts once saved. A "Saved" individual won't be sent to Hell or Purgatory... Once saved a woman won't be tempted or won't commit adultery and/or won't have an abortion?

Also, I wish u to expand on why u feel the "Pope's Weekly" sermons are not as effective? Why, or why not are they less effective? Have they never been effective or weekly is too often, etc.? what's wrong with the Pope?

Thank you ahead for expanding on your comments to clarify for us Dizzy Red Heads, LOL!
Old Jun 12, '12, 10:59 am

I said none, because Christ promised Peter that "The gates of Hell will never prevail against it."

The rest we deal with.
Old Jun 12, '12, 11:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullchelle View Post
I'm confused, are U saying "once saved, always saved" therefore, a person won't commit sinful acts once saved. A "Saved" individual won't be sent to Hell or Purgatory... Once saved a woman won't be tempted or won't commit adultery and/or won't have an abortion?

Also, I wish u to expand on why u feel the "Pope's Weekly" sermons are not as effective? Why, or why not are they less effective? Have they never been effective or weekly is too often, etc.? what's wrong with the Pope?

Thank you ahead for expanding on your comments to clarify for us Dizzy Red Heads, LOL!
No, I do not say that once saved always saved.

It's not the Pope's weekly sermon that is lacking, but the sermons in the Church as a whole. This was something that was addressed by the Pope.

Old Jun 12, '12, 11:52 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian in the Holy Catholic Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post
I said none, because Christ promised Peter that "The gates of Hell will never prevail against it."

The rest we deal with.

Old Jun 12, '12, 12:29 pm

I voted "moderately". If you don't believe that secularism has made inroads into the Catholic Church... then just watch a video... most likely any video will do, from Michael Voris.

If there are priests who dissent, or nuns who dissent from Church teaching that doesn't suddenly make them not part of the Catholic Church. These people are part of the Catholic Church, and they along with millions of lay people have all been affected by secularism.

Here's 2 recent examples of what I'm talking about from Michael Voris btw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj-CQ...8&feature=plcp [May 29th]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Lqs...6&feature=plcp [May 30th]

Only 7% of what you communicate is through text alone. Thus:
Face to Face > Internet

-I'm a notorious thread ender
Old Jun 12, '12, 3:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy View Post

The rest we deal with.
Apples and oranges: The Church could be extremely affected by secularism but not at risk of having the gates of hell prevail against it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics