Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 25, '11, 1:46 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Can bad spirits attach themselves to abused children?

I did not know where to post this question, so I hope that this forum will serve.

My question is about bad spirits attaching themselves to children that have been severely abused. In other words, can bad spirits follow a severely abused child into adulthood that could affect his life long faith in God?
Old Jun 25, '11, 4:19 am

Religion: THE MOST HIGH.
Default Re: Can bad spirits attach themselves to abused children?

I do not believe bad spirits can attach themselves to any person whether abused, victim, or a normal one UNLESS that person allows them by his/her own will.

Furthermore, I believe Christians have more advantage over others by being children of GOD, that means bad spirits/Satan will not even come near devoted Christians.

Christians: (1 Corinthians 6:9-10), Muslims: (John 8:58), Jews: (Zechariah 12).
Old Jun 25, '11, 5:26 am

Religion: Catholic

Demons can attach themselves to people. Our Baptismal rite includes an exorcism. Even infants can have demonic attachments.

Devils look for fractured or distressed people. Childhood abuse leaves deep wounds.

A demon can attach himself to anyone. A victim of abuse is probably more vulnerable.
Old Jun 25, '11, 5:46 am

Religion: THE MOST HIGH.

(1 Peter 5:8-9):
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour, resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

(Ephesians 6:13):
Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Christians: (1 Corinthians 6:9-10), Muslims: (John 8:58), Jews: (Zechariah 12).
Old Jun 25, '11, 6:12 am

Yet another reason why it's essential to ever-increase and maintain your spiritual strength through God. I think a lot of "possessed" or demon-plagued people are generally unaware that they are so. Many are unbelievers, so it's easier for demons to manipulate and harm them. Of course, Catholics are also one of the devil's biggest targets, if not the biggest - since we're his main threat on earth. He hates to see us have faith, hope and charity, especially when we praise the Lord, pray, or do good for others.
Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no schisms among you; but that you be perfect in the same mind, and in the same judgment. 1 Corinthians 1:10
Old Jun 25, '11, 10:11 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Thank you for the replies. I am glad I asked.
Old Jun 25, '11, 2:48 pm
Banned

If the child questioned, as a result of the abuse fell to sins, mortal sins.... and has become a habit, yes.

Maybe, if the child fell to anger... anger can be a mortal sin too, if done to the extent that it hurts the other person badly.

What makes the bad spirit attach himself, is mortal sin, not necessarily the abuse.

But if the abuse is the cause of that child to fall to mortal sins, the answer is yes.

If the child is in the state of grace, as in the case of St. Bakhita, no.

St Bakhita was a black slave who was severely abused several times, by her master. I think when she was young...

May the merciful Jesus bless you
Old Jun 25, '11, 8:32 pm

No personal experience, but I've heard from others, yes.

In one case I remember hearing about, the exorcists discovered that the exorcism couldn't be fully successful until the abuse victim (now an adult) had let go of his anger and forgiven his abusers. Given the terrible nature of the abuse, the extent of the damage, and the length of time it had gone on, it was pretty much impossible for the victim to fulfill that requirement on his own end. If memory serves, I think what they ended up having to do was to have the victim pray for God to forgive his abusers--- which was still a pretty difficult thing to pray for. I want to say that the case stayed open for a year or two before the exorcism was complete-- it definitely wasn't a quick fix.

FWIW.
Old Jun 26, '11, 12:09 am

Personally, if a child is abused, I think evil spirits are already attached to them through their abusers. These are people we should trust, people who should punish in fairness and love. USUALLY this is to establish order.

An abuser takes discipline adn trust and corrupts it. THey are disciplined unjustly and without love and mercy. This does nothing but corrupts the family household that God had intended for us.
Old Jun 26, '11, 12:27 am

Religion: Catholic - revert in 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by midori_ View Post
No personal experience, but I've heard from others, yes.

In one case I remember hearing about, the exorcists discovered that the exorcism couldn't be fully successful until the abuse victim (now an adult) had let go of his anger and forgiven his abusers. Given the terrible nature of the abuse, the extent of the damage, and the length of time it had gone on, it was pretty much impossible for the victim to fulfill that requirement on his own end. If memory serves, I think what they ended up having to do was to have the victim pray for God to forgive his abusers--- which was still a pretty difficult thing to pray for. I want to say that the case stayed open for a year or two before the exorcism was complete-- it definitely wasn't a quick fix.

FWIW.
I agree with this post. An abused victim cannot successfully be treated for their abuse until they are willing to forgive. Forgiveness is generally the last step in treatment.

Mark 12:30-31
'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength...’ [and] ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality