Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 9, '12, 7:15 am
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic since Easter 2013!
Default Re: Passion of Christ

I have watched it once, and I was shocked by how violent it was, and I thought that a man who suffered so much under flogging would not even live long enough to be able to get up again, let alone pick up a cross and carry it through a town.

And some of you have said that it might have been far worse? I am not sure how much a human body could bear. I am sure that I would not have been able to get up having been whipped like that
Old Aug 9, '12, 7:25 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCamellia View Post
I have watched it once, and I was shocked by how violent it was, and I thought that a man who suffered so much under flogging would not even live long enough to be able to get up again, let alone pick up a cross and carry it through a town.

And some of you have said that it might have been far worse? I am not sure how much a human body could bear. I am sure that I would not have been able to get up having been whipped like that

Isaiah 53- The man of sorrows.
Old Aug 9, '12, 9:32 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCamellia View Post

But Jesus wasn't just a man, he was/is the Son of God. In everything he did he relied on his Father and did all his actions through the power of the Holy Spirit. We have to remember that Jesus never left the Godhead, but rather embodied the Godhead as a human being. One of the things that points to his divinity is how he could endure the tortures of scrouging, carrying the cross, and still be living until the afternoon while on the cross.

Tiber Swim Team, Class of '87.

Inklings!

"Sanctum erit, facere bonum" Della's blog: http://dellakmg.blogspot.com/
Old Aug 9, '12, 10:37 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

I try to watch it every year around Good Friday. I find it to be a good tool to reflect and contemplate all that Christ has done for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Scott View Post
Actually, I think scholars and researchers have said that The Passion was still too light on the violence, compared to what actually happened during flogging and crucifixion.
I have heard the same thing. To think how much pain and suffering Jesus endured to save us. How truly blessed we are to have so wonderful a savior.

: Some of the greatest saints that history will ever know have not even had their conversion yet. Never give up on a soul. Never.
Old Aug 9, '12, 2:30 pm

I own a copy of the movie and try to watch it 1-2 a year.

For those who are concerned about the blood in it, the scourging, etc., it is important to note to you, to really point out to you, that the human body was not given much reverence back then.

In fact, take a look at some of the penalties and punishments of the 18th century! If you want more, go to Discipine and Punishment by Foucault.

You would be surprised. It's only recently that people have really not been so physically abusive toward prisoners.

No, the Romans were good at being brutal. If you need any more evidence of this, read some of the lives of the early saints.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media