Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 27, '10, 11:34 pm

Religion: Catholic (RCIA)
Default Lighting a candle at Mass

at my parish there is a statue of St. Monica, the patroness of the parish. Are there any traditions or guidelines to lighting prayer candles.
Old Feb 28, '10, 3:18 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: catholic
Default Re: Lighting a candle at Mass

Hi i usually put my coins in the box light a candle and stand or kneel and pray for my intention to the saint or in my case Our Lady and Our Lord for my intentions.I normally pray and light candles on the anniversary of a deceased family member.My son's anniversary is January 13th so i like to light a candle & say many prayers for him. We pray to Mother Mary and the Saints to intercede for us.God bless

For Special Intentions
Almighty and loving Father, I thank you for giving St. Gerard to us as a most appealing model and powerful friend. By his example, he showed us how to love and trust you. You have showered many blessings on those who call upon him. For your greater glory and my welfare, please grant me the favors which I ask in his name.

(For the intentions of LeadMeHome)

And you, my powerful patron, intercede for me before the throne of God. Draw near to that throne and do not leave it until you have been heard. O good saint, to you I address my feverent prayers; graciously accept them and let me experience in some way the effects of your powerful intercession. Amen.

"Whatsoever you do for the least of my brothers and sisters you do unto me"
Old Feb 28, '10, 3:58 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Lighting a candle at Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Me Home View Post
at my parish there is a statue of St. Monica, the patroness of the parish. Are there any traditions or guidelines to lighting prayer candles.
well it is not part of Mass, but you can light a candle any time you visit the church, before or after Mass, if they have a votive stand. Usually people purchase candles in the parish office which meet fire code regulations. If there is a candle in place which has gone out but still has wax you can light it again. don't purchase a candle from an outside source until you find out what is approved in your area, or you could be posing a fire hazard. the popular candles sold in grocery and dollar stores are particularly dangerous.

St Monica is a good saint to ask prayers for a family member to become Catholic, or who has fallen away from the Faith

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Prayer Intentions