Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 30, '12, 11:09 pm

Default music in Jesus's presence

I try to spend 2-3 lunch hours a week with Jesus. Not at the Adoration chapel, we only have Adoration on Fridays. Just at church. So this question pertains to church time only, not formal Adoration where there are always others present.

I have been thinking about taking my iPod with me to spend time with Jesus at church. There is almost never anyone else there so I don't think I will be scandalizing anyone who might think I am being disrespectful. During Confession on Saturdays they play religious music - hymns or chant - quietly in the background and I find it helps me get into a meditative/respectful mood. I am thinking that the same kind of music on my iPod might do the same for my 'lunches with Jesus.'

If it helps, these times are in addition to my regular prayer time and daily Mass. I don't have an 'agenda' for them. Sometimes I just talk to Jesus about what is going on in my life, sometimes I petition Him for things, and occasionally if I feel stuck I will be praying vocal prayers. But mostly I just like to sit quietly and enjoy being in His presence.

So here's the question... does it seem like it would be disrespectful to listen to music during this time? (earbuds of course so I wouldn't disturb anyone else who happened to show up) or can you think of any other reasons why this would be a bad idea?

Also, any of you who do this, do you have favorite recordings for this purpose? Please share and be as specific as possible so I can track down mp3s.

Thank you!
Old Jul 1, '12, 12:45 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: music in Jesus's presence

That is something I do. I use my iPod to listen to the rosary or the Divine Mercy chaplet as well as read the Magnificat and other APs that are Catholic. I have a wonderful collection of Jon Sarta Catholic piano music as well as some Catholic praise and worship music downloaded too. It doesn't interfere with what other people are doing. It isn't secular in nature. I sometimes listen before Mass especially if people are chatting around me. Once I used the Magnificat at Mass because I had forgotten my book, but that distracted me too much so I haven't used it since. I don't listen to music during the Mass.
Old Jul 1, '12, 2:04 am

As long as the music / audio is appropriate (screaming death metal might be right out ), sounds fine to me.
Old Jul 1, '12, 7:25 am
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

I listen to hymns on my way to Church to prep myself up.

In Church, I have an absolutely no music policy while I pray as I can't concentrate while talking to Him. I also read that you can only hear God in silence, as in total silence like during nativity in Bethlehem, prayer at Mt Olives and prayer at Gethsemane.

I get very vivid and intense imagination while praying the rosary in silence. Sometimes, 10 Hail Mary are not sufficient to meditate on each mystery. I need total silence to visualize in my head what happened during each mystery.

On my way back home from Church, I listen to hymns again and recollect on the resolution I made to Him.

I find Mozart's Requiem in D Minor very relatable when I have a bad day because it is very melodramatic. Dies Irae expresses the confusion and fear I feel. Lacrimosa expresses my despair of life in general and hope in God. Agnus Dei is very uplifting. All the lyrics are in Latin. Very meaningful.
Old Jul 3, '12, 1:41 pm

Tried it today with some Gregorian chant and it was lovely. I'll never do it during Mass or vocal prayer but for times when I just want to soak in His presence, I will do it again. It quieted the noise in my head and I had a strong sense that Jesus appreciated the time I spent with Him.
Old Jul 3, '12, 3:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing4Jesus View Post
Tried it today with some Gregorian chant and it was lovely. I'll never do it during Mass or vocal prayer but for times when I just want to soak in His presence, I will do it again. It quieted the noise in my head and I had a strong sense that Jesus appreciated the time I spent with Him.
Old Jul 3, '12, 5:13 pm
Forum Master

I use to listen to the Monks of the Weston Priory, during my time in meditation.

Some time God speaks to you though the music.

Jim

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality