Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: What do you do when you have a decision to make and God is silent?
Wait for an answer 8 29.63%
Ask for a sign 4 14.81%
Consult others 4 14.81%
Take a step of faith and hope it the right choice 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 30, '12, 2:14 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Dissenting Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Re: When God is Silent

I usually either wait for an answer or go ahead and take a step of faith hoping that it is the right choice.
Old Jun 30, '12, 2:27 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Matthew 7:7-11

'Ask, and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened to you.
Everyone who asks receives; everyone who searches finds; everyone who knocks will have the door opened.
Is there anyone among you who would hand his son a stone when he asked for bread?
Or would hand him a snake when he asked for a fish?
If you, then, evil as you are, know how to give your children what is good, how much more will your Father in heaven give good things to those who ask him
!

When I look back at what I have asked for I realise that some I seemed to ask for with all my being and others I asked for in a more standard way.

It is all about Trust, His will and whether it is good for you.

Remember the parable about the widow and the unjust judge?
Old Jun 30, '12, 2:33 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgal49 View Post
Hi everyone,

I love the forums so much. I learn so much about myself and the faith and feel they help me draw closer to God and I have all of you to thank for that assistance.

I am wondering what to do when you are in a state of indecision and God is silent.

I had a horrible situation with a priest at my home parish--we had a bad falling out and I don't want to rehash all that but he has moved...his last day was yesterday. I have been away from my home church since after my son's memorial mass on May 20th because I felt it best to let him say goodbye to those who loved him and not be there while that he was getting ready to leave. In that time, I found a church I really liked and a priest that met with me and answered the questions re: confession that caused the falling out with the other priest. I like this new parish but it's a 50 minute drive for me. My home parish was 30 minutes. This priest at the newest parish has over 25 years of experience as a priest and with the mental illness and OCD issues that made Confession hard for me, I feel that he was best experienced to help me. He has in ways that I never thought possible--some of the advice was wild but it worked. For instance, he told me whenever I fall into "stinkin' thinkin'" and hate myself to think of something that will make me laugh. He said it's impossible to feel both of those things at the same time. I was in that space one night and I did it and it worked and it's worked ever since! For the first time I was able to get past my deep-seated self-hatred and I actually felt a little wave of God's love for me praying by the statue of Our Lady of Guadelupe. I was so happy as I have been consumed with self-hatred and that has blocked me from feeling God's love. I trust that when people tell me God loves me they mean it and I trusted them but to finally feel it for myself--even just that little taste, that was so amazing. I had asked Our Lady of Guadelupe to help me and I told her, "I really don't know you, I want to know you, please help me know you more."

I want a home church but I am sincerely not getting any answers to my prayerful inquiries on where I should go. Should I go to my former home parish and meet the new priest and see how it goes? I did not withdraw my membership from the home parish yet, as I have not received direction in that regard. I also have not pursued joining the new parish as it's only been 5 weeks and I feel that's too soon--but again, no direction in that regard. I have no friends at the new parish, it's summer and people are in and out and I just started attending. I'm sure once activities resume in the fall I can find things to do and meet people. Also I attended their divorce support group for 10 weeks and that ended but a new one will resume in the fall. I didn't know I was in such bad shape about my divorce. I was devastated and that group help me stop beating on myself and put my life in order a little--I will go again in the fall and then I sense I will be on better ground. My lack of form anulment is in process and should be done in a couple weeks (so I am told).

While I am finally feeling God loves me, it just seems He's very silent and I would really like to know what to do about this. I am going to the last 10 week class I had been committed to at the old parish and then I will be done with all ties to that church. I am feeling a little sad but I want to do God's will and have no idea what that is in this situation.

Please pray for me and any advice would be deeply appreciated,

Thank you,

Lorrie
The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

Don't give in to discouragement....... If you are discouraged it is a sign of pride because it shows you trust in your own powers. Never bother about people's opinions. Be obedient to truth. For with humble obedience, you will never be disturbed.
-- Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality