Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 22, '12, 7:04 am
Banned

Default What do religious leaders think of biological psychiatry?

Do religious leaders believe that biological psychiatry is good? The actual biological aspects such as chemical theories or modern drugs used and other treatments that are physical rather than talk therapy or spiritual.

Do they honor the profession and respect it and think it's good?

If they do, what is their line of thinking?

I would really like to know the answer to these questions.

And please provide factual information rather than your personal opinion. Thank you.

Last edited by TreeOfLife123; Jun 22, '12 at 7:15 am.
Old Jun 22, '12, 7:41 am
Banned

Default Re: What do religious leaders think of biological psychiatry?

I'm sorry I wrote this in the wrong section. I meant for it to go to religions other than Catholic section. Oh well.
Old Jun 22, '12, 8:02 am
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeOfLife123 View Post
Do religious leaders believe that biological psychiatry is good? The actual biological aspects such as chemical theories or modern drugs used and other treatments that are physical rather than talk therapy or spiritual.

And please provide factual information rather than your personal opinion. Thank you.

It is funny though your distinction between "factual information" from "personal opinion". What would be in Catholic Theology "factual information" ?

And what would be "personal opinion" ? Would St. Augustin Opinion be interesting or useless? What about if the person who replied here was a Cardinal ?

Intriguing...
Old Jun 22, '12, 8:20 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:

There is no doctrine in either Catholicism or Judaism that is opposed to the use of biological psychiatry, including medication, for the alleviation of psychological suffering. Most religious leaders do honor and respect the profession. There may be a couple of Protestant denominations that are opposed to it (perhaps Christian Scientists, for example), but the vast majority are also in favor.
Old Jun 22, '12, 8:22 am
Banned

Factual information regarding the actual question. Meaning what their actual opinion is. The fact about what the opinion is of the leaders. Understand now?

It's pretty obvious what the question was. Too bad you don't understand. I want to know the FACT about what their view is. Understand now?

It's pretty obvious yet you have to make it into a garbled mess.
Old Jun 22, '12, 8:24 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Hopefully you consider the Catechism to be factual.
CCC 159 Faith and science: "Though faith is above reason, there can never be any real discrepancy between faith and reason. Since the same God who reveals mysteries and infuses faith has bestowed the light of reason on the human mind, God cannot deny himself, nor can truth ever contradict truth." [37] "Consequently, methodical research in all branches of knowledge, provided it is carried out in a truly scientific manner and does not override moral laws, can never conflict with the faith, because the things of the world and the things of faith derive from the same God. The humble and persevering investigator of the secrets of nature is being led, as it were, by the hand of God in spite of himself, for it is God, the conserver of all things, who made them what they are." [38]

[37] Dei Filius 4: DS 3017.
[38] GS 36 ß 1.
and
CCC 2292 Scientific, medical, or psychological experiments on human individuals or groups can contribute to healing the sick and the advancement of public health.

CCC 2293 Basic scientific research, as well as applied research, is a significant expression of man's dominion over creation. Science and technology are precious resources when placed at the service of man and promote his integral development for the benefit of all. By themselves however they cannot disclose the meaning of existence and of human progress. Science and technology are ordered to man, from whom they take their origin and development; hence they find in the person and in his moral values both evidence of their purpose and awareness of their limits.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Jun 22, '12, 9:46 am
Banned

Thank you Meltzerboy. I will have to give this all more thought and seek understanding from the Creator.

Regardless of their view on this issue it does seem I need the Catholic Church though. I believe strongly that I do.
Old Jun 22, '12, 9:55 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
I can say that my personal experience has not been one of an alleviation of suffering by taking certain medicines. In fact I have suffered worse from certain medicines than how I was prior to taking them. I believe the actual suffering from psychiatry is what played a major role in leading me to Christ. .
Cardinal Javier Lozano Barragan, as President of the Pontifical Council for Health Pastoral Care, gave a speech in 2006 about the treatment of persons with mental illness.

Its a difficult read, perhaps partly because English is not his first language, but also because he is a cardinal. Church officials aren't known for the clarity of their prose.

Still, he makes a point similar to your own experience:

Quote:
On the other hand, when referring to the treatment of a mentally ill person, Psychiatry presents a wide grey area of uncertainties that clinical practice and scientific research help to identify under three different aspects: the precariousness of the theories on mental illnesses and therapeutic strategies, the high emotional involvement of the mental health care professional and the technology. Some scholars believe that the level of technology in Psychiatry is indeed low, in fact the therapy used is not technological but interpersonal.[7]
http://www.catholicculture.org/cultu...fm?recnum=6824

He stresses the need for holistic care, which treats all dimensions of a person, not just the physical dimension. But he also notes that medication can sometimes be helpful and that it should be made available to patients who will benefit from it.
Old Jun 22, '12, 10:07 am
Banned

How nice of you Dale. You answered my question beautifully I believe. I am greatful and may the Lord bless you!

I just was confused. Thank you so much for your kind and helpful answer. I will save it.
Old Jun 22, '12, 10:09 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
Thank you Meltzerboy. I will have to give this all more thought and seek understanding from the Creator.

Regardless of their view on this issue it does seem I need the Catholic Church though. I believe strongly that I do.
It's not an either-or situation. Therapy can be combined with faith. Any psychiatrist or clinical psychologist worth their salt realizes this. And within therapy itself, so-called non-specific factors, including trust in the therapist and the therapist's empathy for the patient, play an essential role in one's recovery.
Old Jun 22, '12, 10:20 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

Hi, did I send you a PM?
Old Jun 22, '12, 11:44 am
Banned

Anon, you didn't send me a PM.
Old Jun 22, '12, 1:12 pm
Banned

Let me say this please. I'm SORRY if I hurt anyone's feelings or upset them with this post. I sincerely wasn't trying to "stir the pot". I really wanted to know the opinion just to know of the leaders. I didn't know how else to get the answer.

I feel Dale_M's answer was what helped me understand the most.

But thanks to all. And I apologize to the person I was a little rude to.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism