Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 8, '11, 7:43 am

Religion: Catholic
Default sacramentals, novenas and chaplets

Aren't sacramentals, novenas and chaplets our way of trying to force God's power to do something or change something for us? Does superstition come into this? For instance is the Chaplet of St. Gertrude (designed to release souls from purgatory) still condoned by the Church. How do Chaplets compare to The Rosary?
Old Jul 8, '11, 8:32 am
Banned

Default Re: sacramentals, novenas and chaplets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarg77 View Post
Aren't sacramentals, novenas and chaplets our way of trying to force God's power to do something or change something for us? Does superstition come into this? For instance is the Chaplet of St. Gertrude (designed to release souls from purgatory) still condoned by the Church. How do Chaplets compare to The Rosary?
Take out the "force God" and all is well.........................
Old Jul 8, '11, 9:19 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarg77 View Post
I was thinking the same thing! Ask! Beg! Plead! Pray for! I really don't think Chaplet of St. Gertrude is not condoned by the Church. Jesus instructed St. Gertrude to share and promote the chaplet.

Quote:
How do Chaplets compare to The Rosary?
The Rosary is No.1 in my weapon list against Satan. The Brown Scapular is right there next.

The Chaplet of The Divine Mercy has me begging for mercy.

The Chaplet of St. Gertrude completes my day knowing I've prayed for the release of Holy Souls from purgatory.

Then there's PRAYER TO THE HOLY SPIRIT
(By Cardinal Mercier)

(If you do this, your life will flow along happily, serenely, and full of consolation, even in the midst of trials. Grace will be proportioned to the trial, giving you the strength to carry it and you will arrive at the Gate of Paradise, laden with merit. This submission to the Holy Spirit is the secret of sanctity. )

O Holy Spirit, beloved of my soul, I adore You.
Enlighten me, guide me, strengthen me, console me.
Tell me what I should do; give me Your orders.
I promise to submit myself to all that You desire of me
and to accept all that You permit to happen to me.
Let me only know Your Will.

Does praying help? Does for me! Like I told my sister yesterday, " I can only help you so much by praying for you. You've got to start some where, today, because you may not make tomorrow!"

So what's an hour and a half honoring God in prayer. Once I started I've never questioned praying. Does it help? You bet it does! I'm here typing to you as I sit! I'll put you on my list. But you're going to have to start somewhere, at some time. What about now, today?
Old Jul 8, '11, 9:29 am
Prayer Warrior

There are certainly people out there who treat such things as novenas, etc. as a way to make God do something for them. But these people are misusing these sacramentals. Novenas, chaplets, etc. are all forms of prayer. Usually they involve petitionary prayer, but this is not always the case. But asking God to help us is not wrong. Christ Himself tells his disciples numerous times to ask for God's help (much of the last dialogue of Christ before his crucifixion in John emphasizes this heavily).

When we ask for God's help we should not be thinking that by doing so we are "changing God's mind" or "forcing" God to do something. God cannot be coerced. So aside from the fact that such thinking is immoral, it is also irrational because it is impossible. But God did create us to have a relationship with Him. And God is our Heavenly Father who cares about us and wants to help us. Sometimes though, a good father must refrain from helping their children until they are asked. Otherwise the father would prevent the children from growing up and learning to stand on their own. However, a good father will also rush to his children's aid when they need him and call to him.

And so God always wishes to help us, but often waits for us to ask Him for His help before giving it because He respects our freedom. And sometimes we confuse what is truly good for us with what is only a passing good, or even bad for us. Fortunately, we have a Father who knows what is truly good for us and sometimes when we think we are not being answered by God it is really that God has answered us by quietly telling us "No." because whatever we are asking for is not truly good for us.

To use novenas, chaplets, etc. rightly means using them to draw closer to God. To better understand His will and to try our best to align our own wills with His. This is not a battle of wills though, because His desires for us are truly better than the desires we have for ourselves though we cannot always see it. Often I think we would be better in such prayers to tell God we know that He knows better than us and that we pray that He will guide us to do His will instead of stubbornly trying to have it our way.

Anyway, I've clearly rambled on for far too long. And unfortunately as I look back on what I've written I see it is far less coherent than I wanted it to be. Hopefully it helps to some extent in spite of my poor way of explaining the matter.

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those most in need of Thy mercy. Amen
Old Sep 29, '11, 4:02 pm

I am looking for Chaplet of Blessed Sacrament (but not that one of 33 beads).
It will be better if you give me Chaplet from pre-Vatican II Council books.
Please, help me to find it! Thank you so much!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality