Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 9, '12, 2:54 pm

Religion: none
Default evangelization as opposed to proselytizing?

I came across a "sticky" at one of the forums that read basically no proselytizing or your account will be closed. I'm at a loss to understand the difference between evangelization and proselytizing. Is it a matter of degree? Is there a defined line that lets one know this is one and that is the other? Thank you for any light you may shed. Blessings and stay safe.
Old Jul 9, '12, 4:18 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: evangelization as opposed to proselytizing?

Evangelization is the process/mission/ministry of bringing the Gospel to those who do not know Christ. In the case of what the Catholic Church calls the "new evangelization" it is the ministry of bringing the Gospel to those who have fallen away from the Faith.

Although in a broad sense, proselytizing also means sharing the Good News with those who don't know the Gospel, in the context that it is banned on this forum it means an attempt to convert a Catholic to another Christian denomination, arguing that Catholic doctrines are false, etc.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jul 9, '12, 4:49 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreashofer View Post
What I also learned is that we are not allowed to make up our own teachings of the Catholic Church. Very good, thanks be to God.
Well of course not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreashofer View Post
Does she know the teachings of the Catholic Church so well in order to distinguish what is false and what is right without giving me her sources (church documents)?
Of course she does.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jul 10, '12, 5:50 pm

Religion: Catholic (Roman Rite)

I can understand why we have the policy for not letting people come in here and try to convince people to leave the Catholic Church, but at the same time, part of me thinks it would be a good idea to allow people to try to do it if they want. They'd get soundly refuted pretty quickly, and would in all likelihood run into some strong arguments in favor of Catholicism in the process. In short, it would be a good evangelism opportunity on our part, kind of like when door-to-door evangelists ring the bell at the Catholic men's house that I live in...
Old Jul 11, '12, 11:21 am

Religion: none

So it seems to me that evangelization is getting another to believe my faith while proselytizing is another trying to get me to believe their faith? While my question came up because of something I read here on caf, I didn't quite understand (and maybe still don't) the difference between the two in any setting. Seems to me there is no difference at all except in who is trying to convince who (whom?).
Old Jul 12, '12, 1:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Evangelization is the process/mission/ministry of bringing the Gospel to those who do not know Christ. In the case of what the Catholic Church calls the "new evangelization" it is the ministry of bringing the Gospel to those who have fallen away from the Faith.
Could the effort to share the teachings of the Catholic Church with non-Catholic Christians also be considered evangelization because you are bringing them the FULL Gospel? This is my view, but I got slammed on it from some who thought that evanelization was only for non-Christians.

novusCatholic on YouTube
Old Jul 12, '12, 7:03 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by novusCatholic View Post
Could the effort to share the teachings of the Catholic Church with non-Catholic Christians also be considered evangelization because you are bringing them the FULL Gospel? This is my view, but I got slammed on it from some who thought that evanelization was only for non-Christians.
I think the Church's documents on ecumenism are the best guide on that.

Old Jul 12, '12, 8:30 am
Forum Elder

I always think of evangelizing as proposing and proselytizing as imposing.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, itís more than that. Itís a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Jul 13, '12, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 5859 View Post
I always think of evangelizing as proposing and proselytizing as imposing.
This might be a tangent in a number of perceptions, but it fits well with the above quote. A recent homily from Pope Benedict XVI says, "Christianity, in highlighting those values which sustain ethics, does not impose, but rather purposes Christ's invitation to know the truth which sets us free."

And in the same homily, prior to the above quote, he said, "there are those who wrongly interpret this search for the truth, leading them to irrationality and fanaticism; they close themselves up in 'their truth', and try to impose it on others...Anyone who acts irrationally cannot become a disciple of Jesus." (March 28, 2012)

As regards to the right reason, the web page of this site in which to 'sign in' states, we search for truth in charity. It's a weighty demand to me.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Evangelization