Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 26, '12, 11:00 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Mary's Queenship

Dear community,

my interest in the Blessed Virgin is growing quite rapidly, to be honest! I know the Catholic Church has Mary as the Queen of Heaven, and I have some questions on that and some on other Marian doctrines. I trust you can answer them for me!

1. I've read about some verses that underlie the doctrine, but I have a difficulties understanding the following two verses:
John 2:1-5 is used to show Mary's intercession for us. I find it a bit difficult to grasp, as to me it doesn't really sound like intercession but only rather normal.
And then there is 1 Kings 2:12-21 that is also used to show the Queen's intercession. Now, while I agree that this can be used as evidence or a type of the Queenship of Mary, I'm wondering why in the verses up to verse 25 King Solomon refuses his mother? If one says that Jesus as King will grant the requests of his Mother and Queen, then why does Solomon refuse the request?
2. Are there any more types in the Old Testament that prefigure Mary as Queen or intercessor? If so, which ones?

3. What is meant by the title "Mediatrix of all Graces" and "Advocate"?

By the way, I've already come to believe in the Immaculate Conception and her Assumption.

I look forward to your responses! :9
Old Jun 26, '12, 12:02 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Mary's Queenship

If you really want to go in depth on this topic, I recommend Ed Sri's book Queen Mother. It goes on at length about the biblical basis for it, including a large amount of stuff from the Old Testament.

As for the "Mediatrix of all Graces" and "Advocate" titles, they appear in the Second Vatican Council's Constitution on the Church, Lumen Gemntium 62. Those two titles (along with the title "Co-redemptrix") are the subject of a proposed "Fifth Marian Dogma" that is being sought after by some within the Church.

There is some debate about it which I won't get into, but the basic take-home message of the teaching is that it has to do with Mary's role in our lives. The other four Marian dogmas that have already been declared (Perpetual Virginity, Mother of God, Immaculate Conception, and Assumption) all have to do with who Mary is and her relationship with the Lord. This one has a lot more to do with her role in helping us (though, of course, it is hardly disconnected from her relationship with the Lord and how He works in our lives). In her role as Mediatrix, all graces come to us through her cooperation (because God wills it, not because He has to do it that way). As Advocate, she intercedes for us as she did for the newlyweds in Cana.

Dr. Mark Miravalle is one of the main proponents of this proposed Fifth Marian Dogma. He has a lot of books about it where he outlines the foundation for it from Scripture and the documents of the Magisterium. If you're looking for a detailed explanation / justification for the titles, he would be the one to read.

There is obviously a lot more that can be said about all of this, but hopefully this is a good start for you.

The Catechesis of the Popes
The more I follow the online discussions ... the more I follow the debates and disagreements in the Church about administrative unity, or the concerns expressed about the moral or personal or administrative or leadership failings of the bishops or the clergy, the more I become convinced that whatever might be the truth of these concerns, ALL of this is simply a distraction. No, it’s more than that. It’s a justification, an excuse, for not helping each other and those outside the Church fall in love with Jesus Christ. How easy it is to talk about everything, but about Jesus hardly at all.

- Fr. Gregory Jensen
Old Jun 26, '12, 12:03 pm

I would suggest reading Hail Holy Queen by Scott Hahn. That's what helped answer all my questions about Mary (although I don't know it well enough to explain very well yet - hopefully someone else can)
Old Jun 26, '12, 12:06 pm

Thumbs up Re: Mary's Queenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutlerB View Post
Dear community,

my interest in the Blessed Virgin is growing quite rapidly, to be honest! I know the Catholic Church has Mary as the Queen of Heaven, and I have some questions on that and some on other Marian doctrines. I trust you can answer them for me!

1. I've read about some verses that underlie the doctrine, but I have a difficulties understanding the following two verses:
John 2:1-5 is used to show Mary's intercession for us. I find it a bit difficult to grasp, as to me it doesn't really sound like intercession but only rather normal.
And then there is 1 Kings 2:12-21 that is also used to show the Queen's intercession. Now, while I agree that this can be used as evidence or a type of the Queenship of Mary, I'm wondering why in the verses up to verse 25 King Solomon refuses his mother? If one says that Jesus as King will grant the requests of his Mother and Queen, then why does Solomon refuse the request?
2. Are there any more types in the Old Testament that prefigure Mary as Queen or intercessor? If so, which ones?

By the way, I've already come to believe in the Immaculate Conception and her Assumption.

I look forward to your responses! :9
Let me try some of them:

1. While the incident in John 2: 1-5 may sound "normal", it is remarkable to note that, chronologically, this is Our Lord's first miracle. The fact that Christ's first miracle occurs following his mother's intercession should clue us in that something important is happening here.

1a. Another point of interest is the unusual form of address that Christ uses for His Mother - "Woman" rather than "Mother". The point of this is revealed right at the end of the 19th chapter of St. John's Gospel, where Our Lord tells her, "Woman, behold your son", and then tells St. John "This is your mother". "Woman", here, is a reference to Mary as the new Eve, whose "Seed" has crushed the serpent underfoot (Genesis 3:15). By giving her to St. John - and by extension, to all of us - as our Mother, Christ implicitly states that she will hear our prayers and intercede for us, just as she did in John 2: 1-5.

1b. The passage in 1 Kings is more "typological" than literal. As the kings of Israel had the Queen Mother at their right hand to intercede with them, so does the King of Kings have His Mother at His right hand. (See also Psalm 45:9 - "At your right hand stands the queen, in gold of Ophir"). In the Epistle to the Hebrews, Psalm 45 is applied to Christ - from which it follows that the "Queen" in Psalm 45:9 can be applied to Mary.)

2. The one type that comes to mind from the Old Testament - as both Queen and Intercessor - is Esther, wife of the Persian king Ahasuerus (Xerxes). Besides being an example of piety, Esther also intercedes on behalf of her people, and wins a victory for them. The temporal events of the Old Testament often prefigure the spiritual realities of the New.

3. "Advocate" implies that Mary intercedes for us, and - as Queen of Heaven and highest of all the Saints - literally pleads our case for us before Christ, in a way that no other saint can do.

I need to do a bit more homework to answer your third question completely, but I'm sure there are wiser heads than I out here!

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 26, '12, 2:00 pm

Thanks for your answers!

I have ordered Mr Sri's book "Queen Mother" and am looking forward to reading it. Your responses helped, too!
Old Jun 26, '12, 5:20 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
3. What is meant by the title "Mediatrix of all Graces"
Nobody knows. It's not an official title. Some people want to make it an official title, but there is a lack of consensus about what it means. There was a lot of discussion about this 20 or 30 years ago, but it seems to be loosing support, and I doubt it will ever be an official title.

Hooray!
Old Jun 26, '12, 7:41 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Adonijah did ask Bathsheba to intercede with King Solomon on his behalf, asking her to acquire Abishag the Shunamite for a wife.

Remember that it is the Old Testament, and God is slowly revealing to us the role of the Queen. The Queen's role is as yet imperfect, just as Solomon is an imperfect forshadowing of Jesus.

Both Adonijah and Solomon were sons of King David, but by two different wives - Solomon by Bathsheba and Adonijah by Haggith. Adonijah tried to take the throne of his father David as David was nearing death. David however, wanted Solomon to be king, not solomon's half brother Adonijah. But adonijah tried to steal the kingship, annointed himself and declared himself king. The prophet Nathan however, annointed Solomon and made Solomon king instead.
When King David was old and advanced in years, though they spread covers over him he could not keep warm. His servants therefore said to him, "Let a young virgin be sought to attend you, lord king, and to nurse you. If she sleeps with your royal majesty, you will be kept warm." So they sought for a beautiful girl throughout the territory of Israel, and found Abishag the Shunamite, whom they brought to the king. The maiden, who was very beautiful, nursed the king and cared for him, but the king did not have relations with her. Adonijah, son of Haggith, began to display his ambition to be king. He acquired chariots, drivers, and fifty henchmen. (1 Kings 1:1-5)
We see that Abishag the Shunamite was one of King David's concubines. Solomon inherited his father's concubines. To sleep with another man's concubines was sybolic of taking his power from him. Sleeping with another's concubines was considered theft and a subversion of power.

It wasn't enough that Adonijah had tried to take the throne which was rightfully Solomon's, but now he has the audacity to request one of Solomons concubines. Solomon is indignant, and orders him killed.

Bathsheba did intercede on behalf of Adonijah, and King Solomon said no, and had him killed. We can expect the same treatment from Jesus if we request things while we are in a state of sin.

-Tim-
Old Jun 26, '12, 7:52 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
When God repeats something two or three times in the Bible, he is trying to tell us something. When God repeats something twenty nine times, we had better take notice.

Jerobo'am the son of Nebat, an E'phraimite of Zer'edah, a servant of Solomon, whose mother's name was Zeru'ah, a widow, also lifted up his hand against the king. (1 Kings 11:26)

Now Rehobo'am the son of Solomon reigned in Judah. Rehobo'am was forty-one years old when he began to reign, and he reigned seventeen years in Jerusalem, the city which the LORD had chosen out of all the tribes of Israel, to put his name there. His mother's name was Na'amah the Ammonitess. (1 Kings 14:21)

And Rehobo'am slept with his fathers and was buried with his fathers in the city of David. His mother's name was Na'amah the Ammonitess. And Abi'jam his son reigned in his stead. (1 Kings 14:31)

Now in the eighteenth year of King Jerobo'am the son of Nebat, Abi'jam began to reign over Judah. He reigned for three years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Ma'acah the daughter of Abish'alom. (1 Kings 15:1-2)

In the twentieth year of Jerobo'am king of Israel Asa began to reign over Judah, and he reigned forty-one years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Ma'acah the daughter of Abish'alom. (1 Kings 15:9-10)

Jehosh'aphat was thirty-five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned twenty-five years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Azu'bah the daughter of Shilhi. (1 Kings 22:42)

Ahazi'ah was twenty-two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Athali'ah; she was a granddaughter of Omri king of Israel. (2 Kings 8:26)

In the seventh year of Jehu Jeho'ash began to reign, and he reigned forty years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Zib'iah of Beer-sheba. (2 Kings 12:1)

In the second year of Jo'ash the son of Jo'ahaz, king of Israel, Amazi'ah the son of Jo'ash, king of Judah, began to reign. He was twenty-five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned twenty-nine years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Jeho-ad'din of Jerusalem. (2 Kings 14:1-2)

In the twenty-seventh year of Jerobo'am king of Israel Azari'ah the son of Amazi'ah, king of Judah, began to reign. He was sixteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned fifty-two years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Jecoli'ah of Jerusalem. (2 Kings 15:1-2)

In the second year of Pekah the son of Remali'ah, king of Israel, Jotham the son of Uzzi'ah, king of Judah, began to reign. He was twenty-five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned sixteen years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Jeru'sha the daughter of Zadok. (2Kings 15:32-33)

In the third year of Hoshe'a son of Elah, king of Israel, Hezeki'ah the son of Ahaz, king of Judah, began to reign. He was twenty-five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned twenty-nine years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Abi the daughter of Zechari'ah. (2 Kings 18:1-2)

Manas'seh was twelve years old when he began to reign, and he reigned fifty-five years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Heph'zibah. (2 Kings 21:1)

Amon was twenty-two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned two years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Meshul'lemeth the daughter of Haruz of Jotbah. (2 Kings 21:19)

Josi'ah was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned thirty-one years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Jedi'dah the daughter of Adai'ah of Bozkath. (2 Kings 22:1)

Jeho'ahaz was twenty-three years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Hamu'tal the daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah. (2 Kings 23:31)

Jehoi'akim was twenty-five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Zebi'dah the daughter of Pedai'ah of Rumah. (2 Kings 23:36)

Jehoi'achin was eighteen years old when he became king, and he reigned three months in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Nehush'ta the daughter of Elna'than of Jerusalem. (2 Kings 24:8)

Zedeki'ah was twenty-one years old when he became king, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Hamu'tal the daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah. (2 Kings 24:18)

So King Rehobo'am established himself in Jerusalem and reigned. Rehobo'am was forty-one years old when he began to reign, and he reigned seventeen years in Jerusalem, the city which the LORD had chosen out of all the tribes of Israel to put his name there. His mother's name was Na'amah the Ammonitess. (2 Chronicles 12:13)

In the eighteenth year of King Jeroboam, Abijah became king of Judah; He reigned for three years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Micai'ah the daughter of U'riel of Gib'e-ah. (2 Chronicles 13:1-2)

Thus Jehosh'aphat reigned over Judah. He was thirty-five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned twenty-five years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Azu'bah the daughter of Shilhi. (2 Chronicles 20:31)

Ahazi'ah was forty-two years old when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Athali'ah, the granddaughter of Omri. (2 Chronicles 22:2)

Jo'ash was seven years old when he began to reign, and he reigned forty years in Jerusalem; his mother's name was Zib'iah of Beer-sheba. (2 Chronicles 24:1)

Amazi'ah was twenty-five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned twenty-nine years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Jeho-ad'dan of Jerusalem. (2 Chronicles 25:1)

Uzzi'ah was sixteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned fifty-two years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Jecoli'ah of Jerusalem. (2 Chronicles 26:3)

Jotham was twenty-five years old when he began to reign, and he reigned sixteen years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Jeru'shah the daughter of Zadok. (2 Chronicles 27:1)

Hezeki'ah began to reign when he was twenty-five years old, and he reigned twenty-nine years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Abi'jah the daughter of Zechari'ah. (2 Chronicles 29:1)

Zedeki'ah was twenty-one years old when he became king; and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem. His mother's name was Hamu'tal the daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah. (Jerimiah 52:1)
God points out who the mother of the King was because the Mother of the King was a Queen.
Old Jun 26, '12, 8:13 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Judith single handedly saved all of Israel by cutting off the head of the commander of Israel's enemy.
When all had departed, and no one, small or great, was left in the bedchamber, Judith stood by Holofernes’ bed and prayed silently, “O Lord, God of all might, in this hour look graciously on the work of my hands for the exaltation of Jerusalem. Now is the time for aiding your heritage and for carrying out my design to shatter the enemies who have risen against us.” She went to the bedpost near the head of Holofernes, and taking his sword from it, she drew close to the bed, grasped the hair of his head, and said, “Strengthen me this day, Lord, God of Israel!” Then with all her might she struck his neck twice and cut off his head. (Judigh 13:4-8)
Judith returns to to the city with the head of Holofernes and the people celebrate that God granted Israel a great victory through Judith. The King of Israel sings Judith's praise.
All the people were greatly astonished. They bowed down and worshiped God, saying with one accord, “Blessed are you, our God, who today have humiliated the enemies of your people.” Then Uzziah said to her, “Blessed are you, daughter, by the Most High God, above all the women on earth; and blessed be the Lord God, the creator of heaven and earth, who guided your blow at the head of the leader of our enemies. Your deed of hope will never be forgotten by those who recall the might of God. May God make this redound to your everlasting honor, rewarding you with blessings, because you risked your life when our people were being oppressed, and you averted our disaster, walking in the straight path before our God.” And all the people answered, “Amen! Amen!” (Judith 13:17-20)
One cannot help but be reminded of the Annunciation to Mary by the angel Gabriel in Luke 1, and of God's promise that Eve's seed would crush the head of the serpent Genesis 3:15.

-Tim-
Old Jun 26, '12, 8:18 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Mary alone is "Full of grace."

Mary has been given command of the treasury of grace won by her son Jesus Christ on the Cross. Mary freely distributes that grace according to her will, which is always conformed to her Son's will.

Every grace we recieve from every prayer, every return to a state of sanctifying grace because of every confession, every grace we recieve from worthy reception of the Eucharist, it all comes to us through the hands of Mary - Full of Grace - who as Queen of Heaven and Earth, has been given command of the treasury of Grace by her Son the King, our Lord Jesus Christ.

-Tim-
Old Jun 27, '12, 3:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidFilmer View Post
Nobody knows. It's not an official title. Some people want to make it an official title, but there is a lack of consensus about what it means. There was a lot of discussion about this 20 or 30 years ago, but it seems to be loosing support, and I doubt it will ever be an official title.
I wouldn't say it's losing support. There are many bishops and people within the Church asking for it. In this "Year of Faith" declared by Pope Benedict XVI, there is a list I found on EWTN on what will consist in this year...

http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=119962

Quote:
-- the opening of the year on Oct. 11, with a solemn Eucharistic celebration concelebrated by the Synod Fathers, the presidents of the world's episcopal conferences and by Council Fathers who are still alive.

-- the Oct. 21 canonization of seven martyrs, including Kateri Tekakwitha and Marianne Cope.

-- Jan. 25, 2013, during the traditional ecumenical celebration at the Roman basilica of St. Paul's Outside-the-Walls, participants will pray that, "through their joint profession of the Symbol, Christians ... may not forget the path of unity."

-- April 28, 2013, the Holy Father will impart the Sacrament of Confirmation to a group of young people

-- May 18, 2013, the eve of Pentecost, Catholic movements, both old and new, will gather in St. Peter's Square.

-- on June 2, 2013, Corpus Christi, the Blessed Sacrament will be adored at the same time all over the world.

-- June 16 will be dedicated to the Gospel of Life.

-- on July 7, seminarians and novices from all over the world will conclude a pilgrimage by gathering in St. Peter's Square.

-- September 29 will be dedicated to catechists on the 20th anniversary of the publication of the Catechism of the Catholic Church

-- Oct. 13 will focus on the presence of Mary in the Church

-- Finally, the closing celebration of the Year of Faith will take place on 24 November 2013.
I would say we may get a definition soon by the looks of things. With all the support that is given it will happen sooner or later!....

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart,
and with all your soul,
and with all your strength,
and with all your mind;
and your neighbor as yourself. And he said to him,
You have answered right; do this, and you will live."
(Luke 10:27-28)

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics