Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 9, '12, 10:58 am

Religion: catholic
Question How to react

How do you react when when someone makes a statement that any woman should always have an abortion bacause of the mother's age or the unborn baby maybe stillborn, live a short time, or have medical problems his/her whole life (i.e. Down's)? If you or someone close to you had to make this type of situation, do you say anything about it?
Old Jun 9, '12, 1:09 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How to react

My Who are we to say that one life is more valuable than another? I say this as a younger sister of a mentally disabled brother and the proud Auntie of two autistic children, and best friend to a niece of someone with Down's. I have spent my whole life surrounded by people with mental disabilities, and I believe that God has made them unique and beautiful people, despite their challenges.
I truly believe that the people who want to kill these children (whether through abortion or euthanasia) are not doing it to spare the child from suffering, but to spare themselves the discomfort of having to see them, interact with them and help them.
Old Jun 9, '12, 3:51 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I totally agree with the previous post. In this culture, women don't want to be inconvenienced because it requires too much work (It's not easy!). A woman with a special needs child, has been given this child for a very special mission from Our Lord. I am sure it requires lots of patience, love, courage and I admire women that are so giving and loving.
When I was 38, I became pregnant with my 3rd child and I was told by the medical establishment that there was a possibility of 1 in 10 that she would have a chromosome abnormality. As a prolife Catholic, I realized that if this was the case, I was CHOSEN to take care of a special 'angel'. I placed myself in The Lord's Will and spent time in front of the blessed sacrament. As it turned out, my child was healthy.
Many times, women just panic and may not make the right decision. It is all in Our Lord's timing. It is always tricky when talking with prochoicers. First thing I would do is to ask questions gently. I usually try to find out what their moral guidelines are. Such as: do you believe in God? Do you believe in Christ? If you do believe in God/Christ, our commandments state 'You Shall not kill' If possible, quote the bible. See their reaction to basic moral questions, before you proceed. If they are Christian, you can discuss how much Jesus loved children and the beatitudes, etcc... If they are Catholic, show them the Catechism of the catholic church and how saints talk about pro-life, etc. I leave you with my favorite prolife quotes from Mother Theresa

If we accept that a mother can kill even her own child, how can we tell other people not to kill one another?

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."

"America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. It has sown violence and discord at the heart of the most intimate human relationships. It has aggravated the derogation of the father's role in an increasingly fatherless society. It has portrayed the greatest of gifts -- a child -- as a competitor, an intrusion, and an inconvenience. It has nominally accorded mothers unfettered dominion over the independent lives of their physically dependent sons and daughters"
And, in granting this unconscionable power, it has exposed many women to unjust and selfish demands from their husbands or other sexual partners. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign." (Mother Theresa -- "Notable and Quotable," Wall Street Journal, 2/25/94, p. A14)
~ Mother Teresa
Old Jun 9, '12, 7:27 pm

Post Re: How to react

:One of the reasons why I started this tread was because I have had people say that women shouldn't have a baby after age 35 and all babies should be aborted if their mothers were older then that. My Mom was three months short of her 40th birthday when I was born. I've been told that what I think bacause I never had children.
Old Jun 10, '12, 12:27 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabycat View Post
:One of the reasons why I started this tread was because I have had people say that women shouldn't have a baby after age 35 and all babies should be aborted if their mothers were older then that. My Mom was three months short of her 40th birthday when I was born. I've been told that what I think bacause I never had children.
This is so insane! I had three, one at 35, one at 39, and one at 43 (after my first at 33).

In our society, it is really crazy, the appropriate age for marriage keeps pushed upwards, and now it seems that the appropriate age for having children is being pushed down! Pretty soon there will be no time for anyone to have any children at all!

And anyone who thinks that all babies after the mother has reached a certain age should be aborted....?!?!?!?!? Who the ____ do they think they are to say anything at all? Are they not those who advocate "choice" and the woman's "right to choose"? Having allowed the slaughter of unborn children under these rubrics, are they now advocating forced abortions??????

Seems to me they are showing the true colors of the abortion-advocacy movement.

"The Church is intolerant in principle because she believes; she is tolerant in practice because she loves. The enemies of the Church are tolerant in principle because they do not believe; they are intolerant in practice because they do not love."
-Rev. Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange O.P

Old Jun 10, '12, 7:29 pm

I think that some of them don't check to see if their brains were a ware of who was around before they said something. I don't have any older sib (I was my perant's first born). There are some who are so 'pro-choice' that they come across as being 'pro-abortion'. When I've called one or two to what they have said, their faces have turned red and they don't know what to say.

It's something that I don't talk about much.
Old Jun 10, '12, 8:42 pm

While I don't have children of my own, I know the struggle my sister had with her last child. She was a high risk pregnancy due to many factors - and in fact would fit the criteria described for what many people would consider justifiable abortion. But to her it was not an option. And the dear child is such a blessing (and I know my sister wouldn't trade her for anything in the world).

And of course, let us not forget Saint Gianna Beretta Molla (also here)
Old Jun 11, '12, 5:42 am

Religion: Byzantine Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cath4life View Post
I totally agree with the previous post. In this culture, women don't want to be inconvenienced because it requires too much work (It's not easy!). A woman with a special needs child, has been given this child for a very special mission from Our Lord. I am sure it requires lots of patience, love, courage and I admire women that are so giving and loving.
When I was 38, I became pregnant with my 3rd child and I was told by the medical establishment that there was a possibility of 1 in 10 that she would have a chromosome abnormality. As a prolife Catholic, I realized that if this was the case, I was CHOSEN to take care of a special 'angel'. I placed myself in The Lord's Will and spent time in front of the blessed sacrament. As it turned out, my child was healthy.
Many times, women just panic and may not make the right decision. It is all in Our Lord's timing. It is always tricky when talking with prochoicers. First thing I would do is to ask questions gently. I usually try to find out what their moral guidelines are. Such as: do you believe in God? Do you believe in Christ? If you do believe in God/Christ, our commandments state 'You Shall not kill' If possible, quote the bible. See their reaction to basic moral questions, before you proceed. If they are Christian, you can discuss how much Jesus loved children and the beatitudes, etcc... If they are Catholic, show them the Catechism of the catholic church and how saints talk about pro-life, etc. I leave you with my favorite prolife quotes from Mother Theresa

If we accept that a mother can kill even her own child, how can we tell other people not to kill one another?

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."

"America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. It has sown violence and discord at the heart of the most intimate human relationships. It has aggravated the derogation of the father's role in an increasingly fatherless society. It has portrayed the greatest of gifts -- a child -- as a competitor, an intrusion, and an inconvenience. It has nominally accorded mothers unfettered dominion over the independent lives of their physically dependent sons and daughters"
And, in granting this unconscionable power, it has exposed many women to unjust and selfish demands from their husbands or other sexual partners. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign." (Mother Theresa -- "Notable and Quotable," Wall Street Journal, 2/25/94, p. A14)
~ Mother Teresa

This is very well put. I've been involved in discussions and debates with the "pro-choice" side of the argument, and it seems to come down to one unavoidable conclusion: That the conveinence of the mother is more important than the life of a human being. And I simply can not accept that.

"Quidquid latine dictum, altum videtur"
I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else. - C.S. Lewis
Old Jun 11, '12, 9:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizies View Post
My Who are we to say that one life is more valuable than another? I say this as a younger sister of a mentally disabled brother and the proud Auntie of two autistic children, and best friend to a niece of someone with Down's. I have spent my whole life surrounded by people with mental disabilities, and I believe that God has made them unique and beautiful people, despite their challenges.
I truly believe that the people who want to kill these children (whether through abortion or euthanasia) are not doing it to spare the child from suffering, but to spare themselves the discomfort of having to see them, interact with them and help them.
I agree as well.
Old Jun 11, '12, 9:10 pm

When asked if I have any children, I sometime answer that all my children have had four feet (cats amd dogs).
Old Jun 12, '12, 5:48 pm

Either give a blak stare, or say, in an incredulous "that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard" voice, "Why would you say something like that?"

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice