Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 27, '12, 9:46 pm

Religion: Roman-Catholic
Default two questions

Who is the Chancellor? Ive heard him talked about by Deacons, Priests, Bishops, etc. FOr eaxmple: I'll be asking Father something after Mass and someone ahead of me (theres always a few, right?). Someone will be asking Father about something and I'll overhear (unintentionally) Father will say 'oh I would but I have a meeting with the Chancellor that day.' Another time we were having Honor Guard practice for a ceremony we were doing the day after, and the Marshal and Deputy came in apologizing their tardiness explaining they were in a meeting with the Chancellor.

So Im curious who exactly is the Chancellor? In the governance of a Diocese there are all sorts of ranks, titles, positions, etc. Near I can tell, the Chancellor has something to do with oversight, advisor, or is coordinator in some capacity, or what is his job/role exactly?

my second question: many of you have probably seen 'Faith and Culture' on EWTN with Colleen Carol Campbell. Great show, and great analyst. She has a book entitled 'The New Faithful' about the younger generation in the Church. As a 23-year old, this is of course of great interest to me. Has anyone read it, how is it, and what are its main points?
Most Precious Blood Council #11238
Council Officer - Worthy Warden
Most Precious Blood Assembly #2987
Assembly Member - 4th Degree Sir Knight
Old Jun 27, '12, 10:04 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: two questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgain2010 View Post
Who is the Chancellor? Ive heard him talked about by Deacons, Priests, Bishops, etc. FOr eaxmple: I'll be asking Father something after Mass and someone ahead of me (theres always a few, right?). Someone will be asking Father about something and I'll overhear (unintentionally) Father will say 'oh I would but I have a meeting with the Chancellor that day.' Another time we were having Honor Guard practice for a ceremony we were doing the day after, and the Marshal and Deputy came in apologizing their tardiness explaining they were in a meeting with the Chancellor.

Quote:
In the Roman Catholic Church a chancellor is the chief record-keeper of a diocese or eparchy or their equivalent. Normally a priest, sometimes a deacon or layperson, the chancellor keeps the official archives of the diocese, as a notary certifies documents, and generally manages the administrative offices (and sometimes finances and personnel) of a diocese. He may be assisted by vice-chancellors. Though he manages the paperwork and office (called the "chancery"), has no actual jurisdictional authority: the bishop of the diocese exercises decision-making authority through his judicial vicar, in judicial matters, and the vicar general for administrative matters.
From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chancellor_(ecclesiastical)
Old Jun 28, '12, 5:25 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: two questions

I haven't read the book, but I do enjoy -- and find informative -- Campbell's prorgram. She has an impressive resume and it's good to know that there are some of these people who are unabashedly faithful Catholics.

God bless,
Dan

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence