Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 9, '12, 5:27 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: 1 John 4:20. We must love Satan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagal View Post
No one said you should hate him. I don't hate him either (or anyone else for that matter). I guess I just don't understand feeling bad for him.
Just because it is an entirely tragic situation in my opinion. To have everything that anyone could possibly desire, and to have the chance to have it for eternity, and then blindly throwing it away for pride. It's similar to a good kid falling into doing drugs or being in a gang or something. Maybe I'm naive, but it's how I feel about the whole thing.
Old Jun 13, '12, 11:07 am

Religion: Catholic - revert in 1993

In Judaism, worshiping God with your whole heart refers to both the good and evil (Satan) inclinations.

Mark 12:30
ĎAnd you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.'
Old Jun 14, '12, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sock View Post
In Judaism, worshiping God with your whole heart refers to both the good and evil (Satan) inclinations.
But Satan isn't an aspect of God. He is a created being who revolted against Him, and has neither equality or any form of connectedness with God. It is really quite the opposite, as Satan consciously rejects all connection to God.
Old Jun 14, '12, 3:04 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Informed, practicing RomanCatholic

Quote:
=JD27076;9380800]

If we do not love our neighbor, we hate God..

So does that mean we must love Satan too?
Your kidding; RIGHT

What's the point your trying to make?

God Bless,
Pat

http://working4christtwo.wordpress.com

A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it."
Old Jun 15, '12, 3:51 am
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic n Catholic (pie is a convert)

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
Angels had a single opportunity to decide, for all eternity, whom they would serve. The devil and his cohorts began in heaven and knowing of its complete and total goodness, and after enjoying the beatific vision, they rebelled and were cast out of heaven. This was effectively their death after which there can be neither repentance, no redemption. They are irretrievably lost and no prayer can help them. This is a message for us - that even though we may have rejected God, we can repent - turn back - and He will welcome us just as the prodigals we are. From the catechism:

392 Scripture speaks of a sin of these angels.269 This "fall" consists in the free choice of these created spirits, who radically and irrevocably rejected God and his reign. We find a reflection of that rebellion in the tempter's words to our first parents: "You will be like God."270 The devil "has sinned from the beginning"; he is "a liar and the father of lies".271

393 It is the irrevocable character of their choice, and not a defect in the infinite divine mercy, that makes the angels' sin unforgivable. "There is no repentance for the angels after their fall, just as there is no repentance for men after death."

414 Satan or the devil and the other demons are fallen angels who have freely refused to serve God and his plan. Their choice against God is definitive. They try to associate man in their revolt against God.
I have been taught that It is not clear that the fallen angels saw the beautific vision as no one seeing it could ever sin. Somehow the angels were tested before this and some of them did not chose God.
Old Jun 15, '12, 9:09 am

Religion: Catholic

Yes, actually I heard this same thing the other day on an old Fr. Hardon tape, and also in some patristic materials. The angels were in God's presence somewhere, but not in Heaven and not with the beatific vision. They had enough info to know that God was all-good and all-powerful, but not the beatific vision. God gives Heaven to beings who actively choose it.
Old Jun 15, '12, 11:33 am
Banned

Religion: Raised Catholic

I'm sure Satan was fairly confident in his plan to overthrow God, as unbelievably delusional as that sounds. His irrevocable decision was to turn against God. If he had known what the outcome of his rebellion would have been and where it would have landed him, he might have had second thoughts. Can't wait to see him being sentenced to hell on Judgment Day, if that is an indication of what my "feelings" for him are.
Old Jun 15, '12, 11:44 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertanthony View Post
I'm sure Satan was fairly confident in his plan to overthrow God, as unbelievably delusional as that sounds. His irrevocable decision was to turn against God. If he had known what the outcome of his rebellion would have been and where it would have landed him, he might have had second thoughts. Can't wait to see him being sentenced to hell on Judgment Day, if that is an indication of what my "feelings" for him are.
He's already sentenced. He is already in Hell.

Everyone who has died is also already judged and sentenced. On Judgement Day, the sentences will be revealed for all mankind, but they all will have already happened.

God Bless
Old Jun 15, '12, 11:50 am

Religion: PROUD Roman Catholic

I in no way feel compelled to have love for Satan. That being said, GOD LOVES SATAN which is why Satan still exists. God loves us just the same, the difference is that Satan made the choice of rejecting God and was thus cast into eternal damnation. Let God love Satan but let's not deceive ourselves into thinking we need to do the same or else we could end up in the pit with him and WITHOUT God's love that he wants to share with us at the other end of eternity.
Old Jun 18, '12, 7:24 am
Book Club Member

No. On the contrary, Jesus wants us to be protected from the Evil One.

John 17:15
"I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the Evil One.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture