Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 27, '11, 7:49 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Living off the grid - Catholic style

Hi Palomas~

I live off the grid. We made the move recently from the city to about 30 acres of woods, stream, and a few semi-cleared patches of blackberries and sunlight. Right now, we live without electricity or plumbing in a 24' yurt (nomadic, mongolian dwelling). We are in the process of building a premanent house, clearing, planting huge gardens, and generally making our little piece of land into a proper homestead.

Honestly, it isn't as daunting as it sounds. We live very much "off the grid," tucked away in privacy at the far end of a dirt road, but we are only about 20 minutes from our parish, my gym (for showers right now it's essential), schools, hospitals, cafes, and the bustle of city life. You can find areas (they're more common than you'd think) where you can be both secluded and within range of everything you might want.

Obviously too, you don't have to go as primitive as we have. If you find a property that has some necessities on it already, it saves you the "extreme primitive" step that we are living right now. You'll still be off the gird and homesteading. We don't know too many Catholics living this way, but they are out there, and I've discovered, since moving onto our land, that the lifestyle is ideally compatible with Catholic family life. Doing so much with your hands, in connection with nature and the seasons makes me more in tune with the liturgical seasons and gives me a greater appreciation of God's hand in all of life. It's also a wonderful way to give children an understanding and appreciation of the mysteries of life and death as they raise animals to sustain your family and watch the world be reborn each spring.

I'm not sure if I answered your questions, but I'm usually online a couple times a week, so feel free to respond if you wanted something more specific.

Blessings,
Masha
only that it enraptures us
makes us familiar with it."
Rainer Maria Rilke
Old Jan 27, '11, 11:52 am

Religion: Catholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats123 View Post
Came across this today and remembered this thread...hope this helps someone!

http://directory.ic.org/21324/Catholic_Ecovillage
Thanks! This may be more of the direction we're thinking.

Old Jan 27, '11, 12:07 pm

Religion: Catholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masha View Post
Hi Palomas~

I live off the grid. We made the move recently from the city to about 30 acres of woods, stream, and a few semi-cleared patches of blackberries and sunlight. Right now, we live without electricity or plumbing in a 24' yurt (nomadic, mongolian dwelling). We are in the process of building a premanent house, clearing, planting huge gardens, and generally making our little piece of land into a proper homestead.

Honestly, it isn't as daunting as it sounds. We live very much "off the grid," tucked away in privacy at the far end of a dirt road, but we are only about 20 minutes from our parish, my gym (for showers right now it's essential), schools, hospitals, cafes, and the bustle of city life. You can find areas (they're more common than you'd think) where you can be both secluded and within range of everything you might want.

Obviously too, you don't have to go as primitive as we have. If you find a property that has some necessities on it already, it saves you the "extreme primitive" step that we are living right now. You'll still be off the gird and homesteading. We don't know too many Catholics living this way, but they are out there, and I've discovered, since moving onto our land, that the lifestyle is ideally compatible with Catholic family life. Doing so much with your hands, in connection with nature and the seasons makes me more in tune with the liturgical seasons and gives me a greater appreciation of God's hand in all of life. It's also a wonderful way to give children an understanding and appreciation of the mysteries of life and death as they raise animals to sustain your family and watch the world be reborn each spring.

I'm not sure if I answered your questions, but I'm usually online a couple times a week, so feel free to respond if you wanted something more specific.

Blessings,
Masha
Hi Masha,

Kudos to you -- you sound braver than I at this point! It sounds like you have it figured out and are making your living situation work until you can get into a more permanent house. Like you, we are thinking along the lines of living somewhat close to city or a bigger town. There are a few areas we have in mind already but are by no means locked into those at this point. We'd prefer that our house already have some of the amenities in place, but with a sustainable power source or two (not electric-powered) so that we wouldn't have to invest so much time and energy getting it to a point we'd consider livable.

You brought up a good point about doing things with your hands and how being so much closer to and part of nature and the cycle of seasons makes you have a greater appreciation for God's work. That is very appealing to us as we want to raise our children to understand and appreciate the totality of God, His church, the liturgical seasons, and how they are all interconnected.

I do have a question, though -- did you just find your place to live before finding out that there are other Catholics that are living off the grid or did you already know about that before you decided to move? Did knowing this influence your decision in where to live?

Pax,
Palomas

Old Jan 28, '11, 8:51 am

Palomas~

I knew, in a broad sort of sense that there were other Catholics somewhere doing something similar, but it didn't really affect my decision. Around here there are none. We picked the area because we wanted to stay close to my husband's job and the parish we liked, but if we had gotten desperate, we would have moved further and just started over to get out on land of our own. I guess we have always just felt that this lifestyle is ideally Catholic (at least for our family), and we didn't want to lose that just because we don't know any other Catholics doing it. We've definately raised some eyebrows at our parish, but they all love being shown around and seeing how we do it.

I hope you find what you're looking for!

Blessings,
Masha
only that it enraptures us
makes us familiar with it."
Rainer Maria Rilke
Old May 9, '12, 9:03 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

There is a wonderful Catholic Homesteading Forum which is quite informative.
http://mommynovenas.org/
http://caminolamancha.org/
http://onethirdacrefarm.org/
Old May 9, '12, 9:12 am

Religion: Thank you POPE BENEDICT XVI We LOVE YOU! GOD BLESS YOU.
Thumbs up Re: Living off the grid - Catholic style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palomas View Post
Hi all,

I hope this the best place to put this thread.

Anyways, we have been doing some investigation into living "off the grid" and have found it to be a somewhat daunting task to convert a regular house into a self-sufficient one. This got us looking into off-grid communities that cater to this lifestyle. However, every community we've found is from the "non-religious" and "free thinking" types, and this just doesn't fit with our families' faith (we take the Faith seriously). The one Catholic website I did find, http://rosariansofthepoorchrist.blogspot.com/, does have the idea of what we're looking for, although it seems to be focused on creating a religious society built on farming. The idea sounds intriguing, but I don't know that we are being called to be part of an actual religious society like this. So it got me thinking that there must be other practicing Catholics out there who are thinking along the same lines as us. Does anyone know of something like this or is anyone thinking in that direction? My intention by starting this thread is to try to generate some good sources of information for us and anyone else interested. Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

God bless,
Palomas

Great thread & link!

Thanks!

Pax
Old May 9, '12, 9:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameButterfly View Post
Here are some websites that may interest you:

Catholic Homesteading (no longer active, but has some good articles)
http://home-n-stead.com/about/blog.html

Simple Catholic Living
http://www.cukierski.net/library/simplecatholic.shtml

Catholic Homesteading Movement
http://catholichomesteadingmovement.blogspot.com/

Natural Gardening
http://www.naturalgardening.com/shop/indexD.php3

Urban Homemaker
http://www.urbanhomemaker.com/productcart/pc/home.asp

Homesteading Supplies
http://www.homesteadersupply.com/

I had some more resources, but my computer crashed and I lost all my links...sigh. I'll try to find them.

MadameButterfly...a simple living/homesteading wannabe

Thanks!

If people have more links, please post them here! This is a very helpful thread!

Pax
Old May 9, '12, 9:44 am

I know of one of these Catholic homeschooling communities. neighbors dont alway agree. some friendships have been ruined over disagreements like very strange addtions built on ruining the neighbors views. also always keep in mind resale value a 4000 sq house built for 12 kids with a homeschooling class room and bulit in Catholic statues may not resale well.....limited buying pool. they built 5 of them one has already been forclosed on.
Old May 9, '12, 10:25 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita77 View Post
I know of one of these Catholic homeschooling communities. neighbors dont alway agree. some friendships have been ruined over disagreements like very strange addtions built on ruining the neighbors views. also always keep in mind resale value a 4000 sq house built for 12 kids with a homeschooling class room and bulit in Catholic statues may not resale well.....limited buying pool. they built 5 of them one has already been forclosed on.

would you feel comfortable sending a link to the house listing? I'd love a home like that!
Old May 9, '12, 10:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palomas View Post
Hmmm... well so far you and Semper Zelare expressed an interest in a group like this. If there are more people that express interest, I just might consider starting a group on CAF!
I'd join such a group. I'm trying to learn some of those homesteady kind of skills. Don't know how far I'll ever get, but... .
Old May 9, '12, 10:42 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita77 View Post
Interesting. Is it on a large piece of land or just on a street within a community? Do you mind sharing what area of the country it is in? I have never heard of such a thing for just homeschooling families. I know there are some Catholic retirement communities, but people will always be people with different personalities and views.
Old May 9, '12, 4:15 pm

the forclosed on house happended a few years ago. the communities start out with a handful of familys buying acreages next to eachother and had a common interest of being Catholic and homeschooling. several years later the extra land was sold, non Catholic moved in, so its not really a community anymore, but some of the original Catholic homeschoolers still live there. I don't want to give the location out on the internet. it is kinda a unique situation and I've said to much already.
Old May 9, '12, 5:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSG View Post
There is a wonderful Catholic Homesteading Forum which is quite informative.

Which one?

Thanks!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life