Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 27, '11, 7:26 pm

Religion: Converted to traditional Roman Catholicism in 1978
Default Ven. Catherine Anne Emmerich Shrine, Feasterville, PA, 1970s

Is anyone here old enough to remember this storefront shrine that was one of the few places in the 1970s to have the Tridentine Mass?

I heard Mass there every Sunday for several years, and then it closed up because the priest passed away. I always wondered what happened to Mr Ed Heffernan who ran the shrine, as well as all the beautiful life-size traditional statues and altar rails that he stored there, which he had rescued from the devastation that took places in the beautiful, old churches in the years right after Vatican II.

Is anyone here old enough to remember the shrine? I was a teenager then, and although many of the people who also attended were older (and probably gone by now), there were some children too...maybe one of them, now grown, can contact me? I'd like to share old memories!
Old Mar 28, '12, 8:04 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Smile Re: Ven. Catherine Anne Emmerich Shrine, Feasterville, PA, 1970s

I was one of the children there at the shrine ,my name is Glenn and what is your name?
Old Apr 18, '13, 7:20 am
Trial Membership

Religion: traditional catholic
Default Re: Ven. Catherine Anne Emmerich Shrine, Feasterville, PA, 1970s

The shrine closed because the ATF were called because old dynamite was found on the property. Fr. Marian did pass away but other independent priests came to say mass prior to the dynamite incident.
Mr and Mrs Heffernan are both dead. Mr. Heffernan was a child molester. His reason for opening the "boys school" which later turned into a girls school as well. His wife knew what was going on........both of her daughters were victims as well. I personally know other victims.
Looking back and seeing the damage to the students that attended the school........it was a cult. I thank God that it did close.
When a friend of mine contacted law enforcement about pressing charges against the abuse, they said the statute of limitations didn't allow it.
If you'd like more information you can email me. I believe there's a link that allows it. My children and I could write a book...........to this day, they still are haunted by what happened there.
Old Oct 19, '13, 8:37 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ven. Catherine Anne Emmerich Shrine, Feasterville, PA, 1970s

I also attended the school here for part of my junior year 1978. I lived at the Heffernan's house. Cooked the Sunday family dinners. Did the Saturday begging, it was a very interesting time in my life. I have good memories of Mrs. Heffernan who I felt was a good Catholic, and very loving woman. Just don't ever fall asleep at the school rosary in the chapel. I'll keep them both in my prayers.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism