Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 27, '12, 11:19 am

Religion: Catholic revert
Default one with god and new age

What is the difference between what Jesus says about Him being the vine and us being the branches and the body of Christ, and the new age saying that we are God? Does the church consider us to be extensions of God as noted in the course in miracles?
Old Jun 27, '12, 11:20 am
Banned

Religion: Laid back trad
Default Re: one with god and new age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejp123 View Post
What is the difference between what Jesus says about Him being the vine and us being the branches and the body of Christ, and the new age saying that we are God? thx
One is true, one is not.
Old Jun 27, '12, 2:43 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
What is the difference between what Jesus says about Him being the vine and us being the branches and the body of Christ, and the new age saying that we are God? Does the church consider us to be extensions of God as noted in the course in miracles?
Jesus was using an analogy. It should not be taken so literally. You cannot take a single statement out of the context of the entire Gospel. Jesus taught humility and submission to the will of God as He revealed it; the New Age teaches that You are god, so YOU make the rules. The difference could not be greater.

Having been involved with New Age practices for several years, I can testify that it is little more than an attempt to have spirituality without discipline. It appeals to people's spiritual inclinations without making any demands on them; the ultimate cheat code in the video game of the soul!

"While truth is unchanging, it changes those who encounter it." - Fr. Cedric Pisegna
Old Jun 27, '12, 2:44 pm

Quote:
"A Course in Miracles" is not endorsed by the Church. It was written by a woman known by Father Benedict Groeschel, and he attests to its confusion.

If we become sanctified by prayers, sacraments, and the practice of the virtues we can be more and more filled with the life and grace of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

"New Age" does not acknowledge the need for Christ.
Old Jun 27, '12, 2:47 pm

Ah new age! Where you get to be your own false god!
Old Jun 27, '12, 3:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigalson2011 View Post
Jesus was using an analogy. It should not be taken so literally. You cannot take a single statement out of the context of the entire Gospel. Jesus taught humility and submission to the will of God as He revealed it; the New Age teaches that You are god, so YOU make the rules. The difference could not be greater.

Having been involved with New Age practices for several years, I can testify that it is little more than an attempt to have spirituality without discipline. It appeals to people's spiritual inclinations without making any demands on them; the ultimate cheat code in the video game of the soul!
I'd call it a virus
Old Jun 27, '12, 5:57 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
I recommend a book called Catholics and the New Age by Father Mitch Pacwa.
Old Jun 27, '12, 6:38 pm

Ah new age! Where you get to create God in your own image!
Old Jun 29, '12, 12:41 pm
Banned

Religion: Wiccan (Germanic)

Christianity teaches that god is a seperate entity and we are in his image.

New age either teaches that we are all our own gods, or that we are all linked to or part off god in a pantheistic way (like the force).

What I have never understood about the Christian is how if god is everywhere and we are inclined to seek him by our very nature, we are not directly linked.
Old Jun 29, '12, 12:49 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter24 View Post
Christianity teaches that god is a seperate entity and we are in his image.

New age either teaches that we are all our own gods, or that we are all linked to or part off god in a pantheistic way (like the force).

What I have never understood about the Christian is how if god is everywhere and we are inclined to seek him by our very nature, we are not directly linked.
It is kind of like if you were on an island, and someone (God) wanted to build a bridge out to reach you. He knows you, he sees you, he wants to get there, but you have to start building the bridge from your end, too in order for YOU to finaly meet HIM. Not a perfect analogy, but that is how I think of it. Linked, but disconnected.
Old Jun 29, '12, 1:09 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor of Light View Post
It is kind of like if you were on an island, and someone (God) wanted to build a bridge out to reach you. He knows you, he sees you, he wants to get there, but you have to start building the bridge from your end, too in order for YOU to finaly meet HIM. Not a perfect analogy, but that is how I think of it. Linked, but disconnected.
Very good analogy, its definitely a keeper. My counter would be that all living things are like a Birch grove. Everything is conected to eachother through roots not visible from the surface. the conection is alwase there no matter what, but depending on weither a person works at becoming one with the rest of existance the roots conecting them to the rest of life and the divine (the "Is All") can grow or wither away. if a person rejects that they are part of nature it will weaken their conection but it can never be destroie because we are all part of nature wether we like it or not.

that would be my personal response from a religion that isnt New Age its self, but has been pretty heavily infuenced by it.
Old Jun 29, '12, 1:44 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter24 View Post
Very good analogy, its definitely a keeper. My counter would be that all living things are like a Birch grove. Everything is conected to eachother through roots not visible from the surface. the conection is alwase there no matter what, but depending on weither a person works at becoming one with the rest of existance the roots conecting them to the rest of life and the divine (the "Is All") can grow or wither away. if a person rejects that they are part of nature it will weaken their conection but it can never be destroie because we are all part of nature wether we like it or not. that would be my personal response from a religion that isnt New Age its self, but has been pretty heavily infuenced by it.
Also, pretty good analogy. Very 'Avatar'!!
Old Jun 29, '12, 1:53 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor of Light View Post
Also, pretty good analogy. Very 'Avatar'!!
Haha now that I look at it, it kind of is. I don't know if I like that though, I can't stand all the political messages in the background of that movie.
Old Jun 29, '12, 4:10 pm

I hope I'm not God, what a disappointment that would turn out to be.
Old Jun 30, '12, 1:56 am

Quote:
The image Jesus evokes here is one in which his disciples are rooted in him, grow from him, and depend upon him. A branch separated from the vine is a dead thing, no longer able to bear fruit. So, the difference is that Jesus is stressing our dependence upon him, whereas the New Age movement is more likely to put forth the notion that we are God (or gods). These views are almost diametrically opposed.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics