Catholic FAQ


Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jun 27, '12, 11:19 am
ejp123 ejp123 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 9, 2012
Posts: 177
Religion: Catholic revert
Default one with god and new age

What is the difference between what Jesus says about Him being the vine and us being the branches and the body of Christ, and the new age saying that we are God? Does the church consider us to be extensions of God as noted in the course in miracles?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jun 27, '12, 11:20 am
Armor of Light Armor of Light is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: April 16, 2011
Posts: 1,862
Religion: Laid back trad
Default Re: one with god and new age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejp123 View Post
What is the difference between what Jesus says about Him being the vine and us being the branches and the body of Christ, and the new age saying that we are God? thx
One is true, one is not.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jun 27, '12, 2:43 pm
prodigalson2011's Avatar
prodigalson2011 prodigalson2011 is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: July 31, 2011
Posts: 2,529
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: one with god and new age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejp123 View Post
What is the difference between what Jesus says about Him being the vine and us being the branches and the body of Christ, and the new age saying that we are God? Does the church consider us to be extensions of God as noted in the course in miracles?
Jesus was using an analogy. It should not be taken so literally. You cannot take a single statement out of the context of the entire Gospel. Jesus taught humility and submission to the will of God as He revealed it; the New Age teaches that You are god, so YOU make the rules. The difference could not be greater.

Having been involved with New Age practices for several years, I can testify that it is little more than an attempt to have spirituality without discipline. It appeals to people's spiritual inclinations without making any demands on them; the ultimate cheat code in the video game of the soul!
__________________
“Sometimes the only way the good Lord can get into some hearts is to break them.”
― Fulton J. Sheen

"While truth is unchanging, it changes those who encounter it." - Fr. Cedric Pisegna
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jun 27, '12, 2:44 pm
Dorothy Dorothy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 8,680
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: one with god and new age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejp123 View Post
What is the difference between what Jesus says about Him being the vine and us being the branches and the body of Christ, and the new age saying that we are God? Does the church consider us to be extensions of God as noted in the course in miracles?
"A Course in Miracles" is not endorsed by the Church. It was written by a woman known by Father Benedict Groeschel, and he attests to its confusion.

If we become sanctified by prayers, sacraments, and the practice of the virtues we can be more and more filled with the life and grace of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

"New Age" does not acknowledge the need for Christ.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jun 27, '12, 2:47 pm
Polycarp1's Avatar
Polycarp1 Polycarp1 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 19, 2007
Posts: 924
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: one with god and new age

Ah new age! Where you get to be your own false god!
__________________
Tolerance is an attitude of reasoned patience toward evil ... a forbearance that restrains us from showing anger or inflicting punishment. Tolerance applies only to persons ... never to truth. SHEEN
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jun 27, '12, 3:21 pm
SaintPatrick333 SaintPatrick333 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: January 10, 2012
Posts: 1,071
Default Re: one with god and new age

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodigalson2011 View Post
Jesus was using an analogy. It should not be taken so literally. You cannot take a single statement out of the context of the entire Gospel. Jesus taught humility and submission to the will of God as He revealed it; the New Age teaches that You are god, so YOU make the rules. The difference could not be greater.

Having been involved with New Age practices for several years, I can testify that it is little more than an attempt to have spirituality without discipline. It appeals to people's spiritual inclinations without making any demands on them; the ultimate cheat code in the video game of the soul!
I'd call it a virus
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jun 27, '12, 5:57 pm
thistle thistle is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: August 23, 2005
Posts: 20,526
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: one with god and new age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejp123 View Post
What is the difference between what Jesus says about Him being the vine and us being the branches and the body of Christ, and the new age saying that we are God? Does the church consider us to be extensions of God as noted in the course in miracles?
I recommend a book called Catholics and the New Age by Father Mitch Pacwa.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Jun 27, '12, 6:38 pm
Polycarp1's Avatar
Polycarp1 Polycarp1 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 19, 2007
Posts: 924
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: one with god and new age

Ah new age! Where you get to create God in your own image!
__________________
Tolerance is an attitude of reasoned patience toward evil ... a forbearance that restrains us from showing anger or inflicting punishment. Tolerance applies only to persons ... never to truth. SHEEN
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Jun 29, '12, 12:41 pm
Hunter24 Hunter24 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 22, 2012
Posts: 407
Religion: Wiccan (Germanic)
Default Re: one with god and new age

Christianity teaches that god is a seperate entity and we are in his image.

New age either teaches that we are all our own gods, or that we are all linked to or part off god in a pantheistic way (like the force).

What I have never understood about the Christian is how if god is everywhere and we are inclined to seek him by our very nature, we are not directly linked.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Jun 29, '12, 12:49 pm
Armor of Light Armor of Light is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: April 16, 2011
Posts: 1,862
Religion: Laid back trad
Default Re: one with god and new age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter24 View Post
Christianity teaches that god is a seperate entity and we are in his image.

New age either teaches that we are all our own gods, or that we are all linked to or part off god in a pantheistic way (like the force).

What I have never understood about the Christian is how if god is everywhere and we are inclined to seek him by our very nature, we are not directly linked.
It is kind of like if you were on an island, and someone (God) wanted to build a bridge out to reach you. He knows you, he sees you, he wants to get there, but you have to start building the bridge from your end, too in order for YOU to finaly meet HIM. Not a perfect analogy, but that is how I think of it. Linked, but disconnected.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Jun 29, '12, 1:09 pm
Hunter24 Hunter24 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 22, 2012
Posts: 407
Religion: Wiccan (Germanic)
Default Re: one with god and new age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor of Light View Post
It is kind of like if you were on an island, and someone (God) wanted to build a bridge out to reach you. He knows you, he sees you, he wants to get there, but you have to start building the bridge from your end, too in order for YOU to finaly meet HIM. Not a perfect analogy, but that is how I think of it. Linked, but disconnected.
Very good analogy, its definitely a keeper. My counter would be that all living things are like a Birch grove. Everything is conected to eachother through roots not visible from the surface. the conection is alwase there no matter what, but depending on weither a person works at becoming one with the rest of existance the roots conecting them to the rest of life and the divine (the "Is All") can grow or wither away. if a person rejects that they are part of nature it will weaken their conection but it can never be destroie because we are all part of nature wether we like it or not.

that would be my personal response from a religion that isnt New Age its self, but has been pretty heavily infuenced by it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Jun 29, '12, 1:44 pm
Armor of Light Armor of Light is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: April 16, 2011
Posts: 1,862
Religion: Laid back trad
Default Re: one with god and new age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter24 View Post
Very good analogy, its definitely a keeper. My counter would be that all living things are like a Birch grove. Everything is conected to eachother through roots not visible from the surface. the conection is alwase there no matter what, but depending on weither a person works at becoming one with the rest of existance the roots conecting them to the rest of life and the divine (the "Is All") can grow or wither away. if a person rejects that they are part of nature it will weaken their conection but it can never be destroie because we are all part of nature wether we like it or not. that would be my personal response from a religion that isnt New Age its self, but has been pretty heavily infuenced by it.
Also, pretty good analogy. Very 'Avatar'!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Jun 29, '12, 1:53 pm
Hunter24 Hunter24 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 22, 2012
Posts: 407
Religion: Wiccan (Germanic)
Default Re: one with god and new age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor of Light View Post
Also, pretty good analogy. Very 'Avatar'!!
Haha now that I look at it, it kind of is. I don't know if I like that though, I can't stand all the political messages in the background of that movie.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Jun 29, '12, 4:10 pm
J_Peterson J_Peterson is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 7, 2012
Posts: 1,493
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: one with god and new age

I hope I'm not God, what a disappointment that would turn out to be.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Jun 30, '12, 1:56 am
Non sum dignus Non sum dignus is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: February 6, 2007
Posts: 269
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: one with god and new age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejp123 View Post
What is the difference between what Jesus says about Him being the vine and us being the branches and the body of Christ, and the new age saying that we are God? Does the church consider us to be extensions of God as noted in the course in miracles?
The image Jesus evokes here is one in which his disciples are rooted in him, grow from him, and depend upon him. A branch separated from the vine is a dead thing, no longer able to bear fruit. So, the difference is that Jesus is stressing our dependence upon him, whereas the New Age movement is more likely to put forth the notion that we are God (or gods). These views are almost diametrically opposed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
8570Meet and talk,talk talk
Last by: SueZee
5243CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: James_OPL
4436Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4037OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: eschator83
3902Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: DesertSister62
3877SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2
3471Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: Amiciel
3322Poems and Reflections
Last by: Purgatory Pete
3237Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: 4elise
3172For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: SueZee



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:55 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.