Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 7, '12, 10:29 am

Default What can I be proud about myself

Hi

Recently I have been thinking....I have been trying to follow God's will and be a good man pretty much ever since I came to know Christ, and I am pretty proud about myself... but :

I just realized that....could it be that I am simply a servant of him because he MADE it so ?
For instance: I can imagine people saying "he's just being good and nice because he's a loser" or "he's a virgin simply because he can't get laid, not that he's better or anything". (which is true, someone who's good looking being a virgin sounds more of a virtue to me than someone who simply is not good with the ladies)

I gave it some thought and I must say I agree! A man with good life and STILL choose to do good is simply better than me, because he DOESN'T have to be good.
A man with good life doesn't need to do good to hope God will be nice to him, yet for someone like me people can say that "he's being good because he wants mercy, so his kindness is nothing compare to "someone already have a good life".

I've been thinking about this and I just feel so defeated, what's terrible is that I can't argue with it, I admit that maybe my goodness is simply sometimes me hoping God will do the same to me, I feel worthless for the things I have done for they may not have been from my heart but my selfness.

Any opinions? How is it fair that someone have good life AND his good deeds is more recognizable than a loser like me? what can I be proud about myself?
Old Jun 7, '12, 11:39 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: What can I be proud about myself

You have so very much to be proud of. My heart and prayers go out to you, love. You are God's creation. In all of this universe, all of this chaos, He stopped what he was doing, stilled everything, and created YOU. And you, unlike many people, are blessed with the wisdom and knowledge to appreciate the act of His creation. That is a beautiful, wonderful thing.

Old Jun 7, '12, 12:09 pm
Banned

Hihiip,,

I have had the same worries, truth is, if me n you were to switch places neither of us would be comfortable living the others life.

It may not seem to you that you have anything to be proud of, but look at others who have gone what you have been through and havent achieved half of what you have...

how does one figure that out ?

I look at my own life, and realize that my time in the army as much of a failure as it felt and in some aspects may have been, there were kids going through the same thing as me and couldnt handle it and went A.W.O.L or turned to drugs and their lives were destroyed. While at the same time there were kids my own age who enjoyed every minute of it at the exact same unit i was in and it just became aggrivating, or lol someone 2 yrs older than me all bright eyed and bushy tailed over his new butter bar rank he got from officer canadiate school and the jerk that i had to report to would have to turn to this kid and salute him and show him respect due to his rank, where as i get the stick and zero respect because of my rank, even though we all wore the same uniform....

it can be insane to try and wrap our heads around things like this sometimes.

and how we see ourselves is really subjective, to me .. one only really fails in life when they stop trying to succeed or stop trying to find solutions to the problems they face.

Be proud of the faith you do have, others have none and go to great lengths to make life worse for others or have become so jaded that they do not even want to try and comprehend how God loves them or is real.
Old Jun 7, '12, 12:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by john78 View Post
Hihiip,,

I have had the same worries, truth is, if me n you were to switch places neither of us would be comfortable living the others life.

It may not seem to you that you have anything to be proud of, but look at others who have gone what you have been through and havent achieved half of what you have...

how does one figure that out ?

I look at my own life, and realize that my time in the army as much of a failure as it felt and in some aspects may have been, there were kids going through the same thing as me and couldnt handle it and went A.W.O.L or turned to drugs and their lives were destroyed. While at the same time there were kids my own age who enjoyed every minute of it at the exact same unit i was in and it just became aggrivating, or lol someone 2 yrs older than me all bright eyed and bushy tailed over his new butter bar rank he got from officer canadiate school and the jerk that i had to report to would have to turn to this kid and salute him and show him respect due to his rank, where as i get the stick and zero respect because of my rank, even though we all wore the same uniform....

it can be insane to try and wrap our heads around things like this sometimes.

and how we see ourselves is really subjective, to me .. one only really fails in life when they stop trying to succeed or stop trying to find solutions to the problems they face.

Be proud of the faith you do have, others have none and go to great lengths to make life worse for others or have become so jaded that they do not even want to try and comprehend how God loves them or is real.

First off, please know that you are and will be in my prayers for a better situation than the one you are currently in(if you're still in it).

Well I understand that we don't always get the best out of life, but what kept me going is that - I admit - sometimes I am that Pharisee who pray to God " Thank you God that I am blah blah blah, I do all these good things and unlike the others".

But what bugs me is that .... good deeds coming from people who already have good life seem so much more recognizable. Good looking people doing good things, being a Christian= kind, generous, spiritual. People like me doing good things = fake, pathetic, loser. I mean cmon now how is that fair?

Make no mistake though I am not saying that I only do good out of selfishness, I know that you don't always get recognized for good deeds and if you still keep doing good then you are a TRUE children of God (this is the motto I live by). But doing the same deeds while others are praised and you are totally neglected is just .... sad.
Old Jun 7, '12, 12:27 pm

Religion: Catholic

Remember that we need to store up for ourselves treasure in heaven. Do not concern yourself with what other people think. It is easy to become trapped in the idea that the outward appearance is what matters most. Do your good deeds and thank God for the chance to do them. Don't worry about being praised, for in the end you will receive the reward for what you have done. I don't want anyone to know the charitable acts that I perform. The opinion of other people is of no matter to me. Could it be that you may be a little jealous that others are getting the attention you wish?

Saving yourself for marriage is virtuous, regardless of the doubts that persist about other peoples view of your reasons for doing so.
Old Jun 7, '12, 12:54 pm

You know the reasons for what you do far better than others.

"The Eucharist is the supreme proof of the Love of Jesus. After this, there is nothing more but Heaven."--St. Peter Julian Eymard

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence