Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 5, '12, 12:57 pm

Religion: Orthodox
Default Re: Poll shows wide support for abortion rights, gay marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor135 View Post
Consider this Oscar Wilde quote: "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."

Nine_Two meant "experience life" more along the lines of "live" than "exist".

If human decency is of any value to you, it indeed is important.

Why not?

We can safely say that you do feel you have such a right when it comes to shoplifting or bank robbery. Why?

Fortunately, no American president is infallible. A proclamation of some court decision as final on his part doesn't settle the issue.

Not at all.

Do laws against infanticide also violate the privacy rights of women?

We must fight in the cause of justice for all of humanity.

We must institute by legislative means a set of basic standards for all citizens to abide by.

The pro-life stance has little to do with religion. Christopher Hitchens, I've read, held to this position and he's one of the most famous New Atheist personalities of our time (may his soul rest in peace).

And I believe it failed.

Let's set aside the platitudes and be blunt: "Leaving us with an interpretation of American law by which to mis-govern the land on this issue on a selfish, cruel earth indifferent to the plight of the most vulnerable."

Southern American Protestants in the early to mid-1800s would have said the same concerning abolitionism.

What other things, exactly, do you want to get done for Christ?

So, you claim to respect and understand others' positions, engage in egregious double standards, and preemptorily close the door on further discussion. Awesome.
You summed it up well.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams
Old Jul 5, '12, 1:00 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMatt25 View Post
Right and how unfair it would be for a woman in one state to have free will and choice on the issue and in a neighboring or another state not to. Not everyone can afford to relocate to a state more suited to their views. That's the problem with always leaving everything to the states.

About as unfair as paying income tax in MD when I didn't pay any in FL.
Old Jul 5, '12, 1:04 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMatt25 View Post
While I'm a bit confused by you saying "before they even get to experience life" if you believe a human person exists and experiences life at the moment of conception with full personhood rights, it's not important to me answering. I'm in the US so do you mean how can I in the US? First of all because I don't believe I have the right to force what I believe on this issue onto society at large. And the SCOTUS ruled on Roe V Wade nearly 40 yrs ago giving women the right to choose during the 1st trimester with state restrictions allowed after. The issue causes a clash of rights. Rights of the unborn vs the privacy rights of women. In an imperfect world, and in a country of plural beliefs, one which is not a theocracy, the SCOTUS decision I believe attempted a balance of this clash in rights. Leaving us with an interpretaton of secular law by which to govern the land on this issue on an imperfect earth. And I speak solely for myself, but I personally as a Christian, not a Catholic, and not of another conservative faith group, after 40 yrs can't devote such a degree of my time on this single issue if I want more time to devote to getting other things done for Christ. I respect and understand the perspective of others and hope this helps you understand mine. If not, there's nothing more I can say to help you understand my perspective and we will have to agree to disagree in good faith. In any case God bless you along your faith walk. Peace.
You say that you have not right to force your belief on everyone. Friend, there is no belief it is a reality that a baby in the womb is a full human person just as much as you are. I don't think it's right to murder and I would be a horrible person if I didn't speak out against it, I am sure you would say that my thoughts on murder are just a belief rather than an ultimate truth. Thou shalt not murder is a commandment I take very very seriously as should you.
Old Jul 5, '12, 1:12 pm

Religion: Orthodox (ACROD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine_Two View Post
You summed it up well.
And you were clear and concise in the answer you gave (post #30).

Let us experience a Coptic Orthodox Gospel proclamation.

Pray for the world's persecuted Christians.
Old Jul 8, '12, 7:21 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerz View Post
We need a sign that Christ will come again? Really? Is His promise not enough?
We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? Did I say I need a sign? His promise of a return is good enough for me, however, He also promised signs. Why did He do that?
The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth will unveil the "mystery of iniquity" in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth.
Old Jul 9, '12, 10:06 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic, "and loving it."

On a related note:
Quote:
On February 6, 2012, Member of Parliament Stephen Woodworth brought forward the following motion. It received its first hour of debate in the House of Commons on April 26, 2012 and is to be debated again and voted on later the same year.
I found the following comment on Not Yet Born. It sums up (for me) the challenges that the Canadian parliament must face up to. But they won't.
Quote:
The question Canada’s legislature must answer is this: What determines eligibility for human rights? Is it simply a living organism’s biological human status, or some further criteria? What reasons does Canada give for granting legal protection to the tiny human being in its mother’s arms, but not to the tiny human being in its mother’s uterus? Why does Canada’s law value one and not the other?
Parliament’s answers to these questions are important not only for the issue of elective abortion, but also for human rights in general.

“Experience teaches that the man who exercises a frequent and rigid censorship over his thoughts, words and actions, is better capable of hating and avoiding evil and of cultivating earnestly what is good”
- St Pius X
Old Jul 10, '12, 9:01 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
A new Gallup poll brings encouraging news on the subject of abortion. Fifty percent of American adults now define themselves as pro-life (up 5% from 2011), and 41% of American adults now define themselves as pro-choice (down 8% from 2011).
Polls are simply media tools.

Most people, when confronted with the biological facts of abortion, are pro-life.

VOTE RON PAUL if you are pro-life. Let your delegates know, there is still a chance to voice your values, voice your SOUL!!!

DR. PAUL is the only national politician who truly has defended the unborn with intelligent stratagy.

Mitt Romney, even after his so-called pro-life conversion, still appoints pro-abortion judges and signs taxpayer funded abortion into law - look it up! DO NOT BE FOOLED!!!!

John Roberts has proven the Supreme court is bought-and-paid-for by elitist scum.
Homicide is a state issue, not federal.

Roe Vs. Wade is bogus judgement based on bizzarre fantasy, with no reference in simple biology.
THE SUPREME COURT IS NOT ON THE SIDE OF LIFE AND NEVER WILL BE!!!!

MITT ROMNEY IS NOT PRO-LIFE!!!

The national leadership of the Republican party has sold out to planned parenthood big-bucks. Look into that Romney scumbags history, he has never legislated any significant pro-life law - EVER!!!!

Romney = Obama in the eyes of planned parenthood.

Last edited by Vangaurdian; Jul 10, '12 at 9:15 pm.
Old Jul 11, '12, 1:07 am

Religion: Orthodox (ACROD)

Vangaurdian--last I heard, Ron Paul dropped out of the presidential race. Not a positive turn of events: he's provided a refreshing alternative perspective on foreign policy.

This thread is about Canadian public opinion, though. Unless the Canucks posting in and reading the thread all have American citizenship, we can't vote in the elections and make a big impact.

May God save the world from the scourges of abortion, the culture of death, and the duplicity of politicians.

Let us experience a Coptic Orthodox Gospel proclamation.

Pray for the world's persecuted Christians.
Old Jul 11, '12, 1:25 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebor135 View Post
Vangaurdian--last I heard, Ron Paul dropped out of the presidential race.
He may have acknowledged he can't win, but he's not done yet.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...uls-last-stand

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News