Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 7, '14, 6:41 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: moving in a Catholic direction
Exclamation Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane flying to Beijing [flight MH 370]

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-26492748

Quote:
Malaysia Airlines says it has lost contact with a plane travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, with 239 people on board.

The airline said in a statement that flight MH370 disappeared at 02:40 local time on Saturday (18:40 GMT on Friday).

It was expected to land in Beijing at 06:30 (22:30 GMT).
Old Mar 7, '14, 6:51 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane flying to Beijing [flight MH 370]

Some additional information on this tragedy:

A passenger flight carrying 239 people from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing is missing and would likely have run out of fuel, Malaysia Airlines said Saturday.

"At the moment we have no idea where this aircraft is right now," Malaysia Airlines Vice President of Operations Control Fuad Sharuji said on CNN's "AC360."
At the time of its disappearance, the plane was carrying about 7.5 hours of fuel, Sharuji said
"It doesn't sound very good," retired American Airlines Capt. Jim Tilmon told CNN's "AC360." He noted that the route is mostly overland, which means that there would be plenty of antennae, radar and radios to contact the plane.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/07/world/...plane-missing/
Old Mar 7, '14, 6:56 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: moving in a Catholic direction
Default Re: Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane flying to Beijing [flight MH 370]

Thread in the Prayer Intentions forum:

Pray for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370
Old Mar 7, '14, 7:50 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic/OFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granum Frumenti View Post
Praying for the safety of all.
Old Mar 8, '14, 7:31 am
Forum Master

My prayers are with them also. No turbulence, clear weather, no may-day call. Occurred quick.

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old Mar 8, '14, 8:27 pm

Religion: Hardcore Catholic!

Does anyone else find it odd that they still haven't found the aircraft?
Old Mar 8, '14, 9:43 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintjohnxxiii View Post

"By early Sunday morning, there was little to go on: no wreckage of the jet, a Boeing 777-200 with 239 people aboard, and other than oil slicks on the surface of the Gulf of Thailand that may have been from a crash, no clue that an accident had even taken place. The airline said the plane, which departed from Kuala Lumpur, had recently passed inspection"

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/wo...t.html?recp=12

"Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the universal church, those in my own home and within my family. Amen." St. Gertrude
Old Mar 8, '14, 9:58 pm

Quote:
I know nothing about the difficulty in locating a downed airline. However, when an Air France jet crashed into the Atlantic few years ago, finding it was very difficult, If I recall correctly, the search took two years.

On the other hand, it was laying in the deep ocean, rather than the much shallower sea which separates Malaysia and Vietnam. Still, I would think that an underwater recovery might take longer than one on land.
Old Mar 8, '14, 10:05 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278

I have been following this story since I found out about it on Saturday morning. I really hope that everyone is okay but I have almost no hope for that. I imagine that it crashed.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Mar 9, '14, 2:20 pm
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

This crash is a real mystery. Very suspicious that 2 passengers had stolen passports.

I hope they soon find the debris and find some clues to what happened.

My prayers are with the families of those on board.
DO NOT BE OVERCOME BY EVIL, BUT OVERCOME EVIL WITH GOOD. ~~~ Romans 12:21
Old Mar 10, '14, 1:28 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Sorrows View Post
Very suspicious that 2 passengers had stolen passports
This part I think there are a good deal of investigators from the around the world helping out. I believe we will hear more about this.

Old Mar 10, '14, 2:20 pm

Religion: Hardcore Catholic!

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/03/...nd-only-holes/

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I don't believe what we are being told about this flight. Airplane's crash all the time. They crash in water as well but you find the aircraft within hours. Its 3 days now and they still haven't found it?

Something stinks.
Old Mar 10, '14, 3:06 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic since Easter 2013!

Quote:
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/03/...nd-only-holes/

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I don't believe what we are being told about this flight. Airplane's crash all the time. They crash in water as well but you find the aircraft within hours. Its 3 days now and they still haven't found it?

Something stinks.
I have to say that I know very little about aircraft disasters. But a plane seemingly disappearing completely and without trace is very weird nowadays with all the technology that's around. If it had blown up, you'd think there would be traces of it around that would already have been found. If it had been hijacked and forced to go 'somewhere', there aren't many places a full-sized plane could land, other than an airport, which wouldn't attract attention. And if such a thing had somehow happened and the local population was being forced to keep quiet - then why?

I hope the plane and all its occupants are found safe and well somewhere, but quite how that's possible I don't know
May God rebuke him we humbly pray
And do thou o Prince of the Heavenly Host
By the power of God cast into hell
Satan and other evil spirits
Who prowl throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Old Mar 11, '14, 5:37 am
Forum Master

The identification of the two passengers in question with illegal passports progressed. One is an Iranian National with apparently no ties to terrorism. He was headed to Germany and when he didn't arrive his family reached out. He apparently was fleeing Iran. The other they still don't have anything but a photo.

The time it takes to find the aircraft debris, I don't think that's uncommon?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News