Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 12, '12, 7:33 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default Answering a calling

Good Evening Everyone,

I didn't find an 'Introduce Yourself' section so I figured it would be ok to introduce myself here. I am a lifelong Catholic and for years I have felt a deeper calling to the church. I am researching with great joy the process of becoming a catholic priest. Unfortunately, I am overwhelmed by a feeling of unworthiness I have never before felt in my life. I know this path is the highest, most righteous path one can follow in a lifetime and I hope God gives me the strength and love I need to face my fears and live in Jesus' name. I look forward to my journey and hope to meet all of you here at Catholic Answers. Here's a little about me.

I am 25, going on 26
Studied International Relations at Boston University
Speak English and Spanish and have a penchant for learning other foreign languages
Worked in Sales and Management for Fortune 50 companies all the way down to brand new start ups
I am told I am a great listener and can exercise great empathy

If there are any current seminarians on this forum who would like to get in touch with me I would greatly appreciate it. I'd love to hear about your experiences and learn what to expect on this incredible journey I am about to embark on.

Thank You
Old Jul 12, '12, 8:01 pm
Greeter

Default Re: Answering a calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarciabu View Post
Good Evening Everyone,
Good evening!

Quote:
I didn't find an 'Introduce Yourself' section so I figured it would be ok to introduce myself here.
http://forums.catholic.com/showthrea...55#post9506255

That should help But welcome to CAF!

Quote:
I am a lifelong Catholic and for years I have felt a deeper calling to the church. I am researching with great joy the process of becoming a catholic priest. Unfortunately, I am overwhelmed by a feeling of unworthiness I have never before felt in my life. I know this path is the highest, most righteous path one can follow in a lifetime and I hope God gives me the strength and love I need to face my fears and live in Jesus' name. I look forward to my journey and hope to meet all of you here at Catholic Answers. Here's a little about me.
Unworthiness is very normal. If we go back to the time of Jesus, we see this. An example is when Jesus washes the feet of his 12 Apostles. The Apostles try to prevent him from doing this, but he insists. This just goes to show how generous Jesus was as a human. We begin to realize in our own lives that God invites us to share in His generosity. Every human is unworthy, but because God is loving, He allows us to praise Him (which we are all called to do).

Quote:
I am 25, going on 26
Studied International Relations at Boston University
Speak English and Spanish and have a penchant for learning other foreign languages
Worked in Sales and Management for Fortune 50 companies all the way down to brand new start ups
I am told I am a great listener and can exercise great empathy
That is great!

Quote:
If there are any current seminarians on this forum who would like to get in touch with me I would greatly appreciate it. I'd love to hear about your experiences and learn what to expect on this incredible journey I am about to embark on.
I am not a seminarian, but I feel I may have a special calling. I am glad to hear you are hearing the call. We can PM if you just want to talk. You are in my prayers!

Quote:
Thank You
Old Jul 12, '12, 8:13 pm

Religion: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic.

May God bless your journey!
Old Jul 12, '12, 8:50 pm

Religion: roman catholic

Praise the Lord! We need holy priests, ultimate sacrifice for the reparation of sins, eternal happiness, ultimate instruments of Love and Mercy.

Please answer His calling generously!

May our dear Lady, Mama Mary, guide and protect you. You are a man of prayer.

You are unworthy, which qualifies you for being even more Jesus Christ, rather than yourself.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, now and forever. Amen

In the name of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, may your Guardian Angel watch over you, not letting the devil ever win you for his culture of death. (I make the sign of the cross)
Old Jul 12, '12, 8:56 pm

Religion: New Catholic (former Pentecostal as of early 2011

I was in seminary but not the Catholic kind. Feelings of unworthiness are normal but it's important to have courage to take those steps, ask your questions and see where it leads. If the doors don't open 100%, remember it is ok. Sometimes we aren't meant to finish the plan we think God has. For example, I started seminary, but I was only able to complete one course before God opened a different door called Catholicism. Being a woman, obviously meant, I had to close those doors, but God opened others instead. Go after your dreams and please feel free to use this forum to ask whatever questions you have. We are a diverse bunch who love God and who are also asking questions as we talk along our own journeys.

Good luck,

SG
Old Jul 12, '12, 9:09 pm
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJohn View Post
May God bless your journey!
PeterJohn, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreashofer View Post
Praise the Lord! We need holy priests, ultimate sacrifice for the reparation of sins, eternal happiness, ultimate instruments of Love and Mercy.

Please answer His calling generously!

May our dear Lady, Mama Mary, guide and protect you. You are a man of prayer.

You are unworthy, which qualifies you for being even more Jesus Christ, rather than yourself.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, now and forever. Amen

In the name of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, may your Guardian Angel watch over you, not letting the devil ever win you for his culture of death. (I make the sign of the cross)
andreashofer, thank you for your blessing and lovely prayer. They both brought a beaming smile to my face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretGarden View Post
I was in seminary but not the Catholic kind. Feelings of unworthiness are normal but it's important to have courage to take those steps, ask your questions and see where it leads. If the doors don't open 100%, remember it is ok. Sometimes we aren't meant to finish the plan we think God has. For example, I started seminary, but I was only able to complete one course before God opened a different door called Catholicism. Being a woman, obviously meant, I had to close those doors, but God opened others instead. Go after your dreams and please feel free to use this forum to ask whatever questions you have. We are a diverse bunch who love God and who are also asking questions as we talk along our own journeys.

Good luck,

SG
SecretGarden, I used to make 200 cold calls a day to angry business owners to sell small business loans. Calling my local diocese to simply inquire about becoming a priest was a test of willpower and fearlessness I never anticipated. More than anything, it shows me just how deep my love for God and my desire to be closer to him is.

I have lived a full life up to this point having travelled and lived abroad, worked to support myself after college, and having been in a long term relationship. While that life was certainly fun and I regret none of it, there is a much deeper calling that I feel and hear that a wife and children cannot fulfill. I spoke to a very good friend of mine today and expressed to him my desire to be a father to millions as opposed to just 2 or 3.

Thank you for relating your experience and I'm glad that you found God in a different capacity than what you originally anticipated.
Old Jul 14, '12, 2:39 am
Trial Membership

Bump Update

I have been invited to St. Joseph's Parish in Manhattan on July 20th by Father Benedict Croell for a vocation event. Please keep me in your prayers that God's will may be done, whatever it may be.

Old Jul 14, '12, 8:05 am
Greeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarciabu View Post
Bump Update

I have been invited to St. Joseph's Parish in Manhattan on July 20th by Father Benedict Croell for a vocation event. Please keep me in your prayers that God's will may be done, whatever it may be.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations