Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Feb 21, '13, 1:07 pm

Religion: Gnostic Christian
Default Re: Rosary for Non-Catholic, and wearing one.

I think people have covered that it's technically okay to wear a rosary, it's just unusual in some parts of the world -- so I won't comment on that. I personally like to wear a 1-decade rosary bracelet because it helps me remember to pray, and even when I'm not praying the rosary, just seeing it around my wrist is a good reminder to pray without ceasing. I don't have a problem with people who wear them around their necks, but for me it's not as noticeable that way, so it's not as much of a memory trigger as the wrist rosary.
Old Feb 25, '13, 12:33 pm
Banned

Religion: Evangelical Catholic-LCMS

Received my first brown scapular. It kinda itches.
Old Feb 25, '13, 12:45 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Católico

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1973 View Post
Received my first brown scapular. It kinda itches.

On a more serious note, maybe its made that way to help you ignore the itch and develop a stronger concentration on what is important.

Please don't ask how I know this

"If anyone says that man can be justified before God by his own works, whether done by his own natural powers or by the teaching of the Law, without divine grace through Jesus Christ, let him be anathema" Council of Trent; Session 6; canon 1.
Old Feb 25, '13, 12:47 pm
Banned

Religion: Evangelical Catholic-LCMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah45_9 View Post

On a more serious note, maybe its made that way to help you ignore the itch and develop a stronger concentration on what is important.

Please don't ask how I know this
Fair enough.
Old Feb 25, '13, 7:21 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_C View Post
Anyone can wear a Rosary. It is a wonderful aid for prayer that Christians have employed for over 800 years. In it is a summary of the Gospel in 3 groups of 15 "mysteries" regarding the life of our Lord, each of which bears a certain fruit:

The Annunciation: Humility
The Visitation: Charity
The Birth of Our Lord: Poverty, or detachment from the world
The Presentation of Our Lord: Purity of heart, obedience
The Finding of Our Lord in the Temple: Piety
The Agony in the Garden: Contrition for our sins
The Scourging at the Pillar: Mortification of our senses
The Crowning with Thorns: Interior mortification
The Carrying of the Cross: Patience under crosses
The Crucifixion and Death of Our Lord: That we may die to ourselves
The Resurrection: Conversion of heart
The Ascension: A desire for heaven
The Coming of the Holy Ghost: The Gifts of the Holy Ghost
The Assumption of our Blessed Mother into Heaven: Devotion to Our Lady
The Coronation of our Blessed Mother: Eternal happiness
There are 4 groups of 20 mysteries. The group left out was the Luminous Mysteries:
The Baptism in the Jordan
The Wedding at Cana
The Proclamation of the Kingdom of God
The Transfiguration
The Institution of the Eucharist

As has been touched on, wearing a Rosary is about the intention. It is a sacramental, a prayer tool. It is those things first. Generally frowned on wearing a Rosary for the reason of "when in doubt, don't".
Old Feb 26, '13, 12:17 pm

I believe I was told not to wear it unless it is blessed though I was never encouraged to wear it at all. If my dad has his with him it's in a rosary case in his pocket. One of the rosaries I was given came in a round container where I keep it. I have seen shirts for sale with what appear to be rosaries or similar looking to rosaries (attached to the shirt) and I found them highly offensive. Mostly when I see rosaries in public I automatically assume the person wearing it is not Catholic (I might not think that if, say, I saw a little old lady wearing it).

Although I am guilty of telling someone I am praying for them in a public forum (ie facebook) in general I'd say prayer is meant to be between you and God, behind closed doors ("But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you" Matthew 6:6). I feel like wearing the rosary can be seen as going against this.
Old Feb 26, '13, 12:22 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritzy View Post
Hi there.
I'm Christian, but not Catholic.
I've seen some rosaries and think they are absolutely beautiful.
I also am a jewelry crafter.

My questions are:
1. Is it wrong for Non-Catholic Christians to have/use rosaries?

nope its not wrong in any way unless they are using them to mock Catholics

2. I've read that it is inappropriate to wear a rosary as a necklace; why is that? If it's something beautiful and is used for it's intended purpose, why not display it openly? I've read that it's more effective and easier to remember to use it if it's kept in a pocket, but personally I'd find it easier to remember to use if I had it on my neck and in my constant view. Is it inappropriate to wear it on one's neck, even if it is still used for prayers in that manner?

nothing is wrong with wearing it as long as the person knows what its for, many people have worn the rosary more for fashion than anything to do with prayer and meditation

3. Is it inappropriate for me, as a Non-Catholic Christian, to make rosaries as gifts for friends who are Catholic or to sell to customers who have requested one to be made by me?

not inappropriate at all, encouraged actually

4. If it is acceptable for me to make a rosary, does it have to be blessed by a priest before it's gifted/sold? Would it be inappropriate for me to ask such a thing of a clergy member at a Catholic church that I do not attend?

it does not have to be blessed for whoever would buy it will get it bless most likely

Thanks for any answers.

pray the Rosary now - http://www.comepraytherosary.org/
Old Feb 26, '13, 1:18 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite

This is more of a side question about selling blessed rosaries. A monastery I live near sells beautiful (and affordable) cord rosaries, and they have each rosary blessed before they ship it out. Is that selling blessed rosaries?

In fact they do the same thing with their hand painted icons (which they also somehow manage to sell on the cheap).

By the way here is their website if you want to check it out: http://clearcreekmonks.org/index.html

Old Feb 26, '13, 1:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyuiop411 View Post
This is more of a side question about selling blessed rosaries. A monastery I live near sells beautiful (and affordable) cord rosaries, and they have each rosary blessed before they ship it out. Is that selling blessed rosaries?

In fact they do the same thing with their hand painted icons (which they also somehow manage to sell on the cheap).

By the way here is their website if you want to check it out: http://clearcreekmonks.org/index.html
Reading their site, it looks like one buys the item, and they then have it blessed before shipment as a courtesy.
Old Feb 26, '13, 2:23 pm

I have always thought of wearing the rosary as a hispanic cultural thing. Then I watched the movie "For Greater Glory" about the persecution of the Catholic Church in Mexico from 1926 - 1929. Its a shocking piece of history. Catholic priests were shot in the streets, parishioners were tortured and hung from the telegraph lines. Anyway, many of the "Cristeros" who fought against the government for religious freedom wore rosaries around their necks in an act of religious pride and defiance of the government. It made me want to put one around my neck.
"Let the time come when those who should oblige the servant of God, do the contrary to him, and what degree of patience and humility he has then, that is the degree he has and no more." - St. Francis of Assisi
Old Feb 26, '13, 2:37 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Evangelical Catholic (Lutheran Church Missouri Synod)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indifferently View Post
I would be uncomfortable doing the rosary. I don't see a theological problem for the most part, but apart from anything else it strikes me as a little effeminate. I would generally be more comfortable reciting the Daily Offices I already have.
I don't know, old Martin Chemnitz looks pretty good, here.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chemnitz.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	16381  
“This also is certain, that no one should rely on his own wisdom in the interpretation of the Scripture, not even in the clear passages, for it is clearly written in 2 Peter 1:20: ‘The Scripture is not a matter of private interpretation.’
"The best reader of the Scripture, according to Hilary, is one who does not bring the understanding of what is said to the Scripture but who carries it away from the Scripture. "
Chemnitz
Old Feb 26, '13, 3:23 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Católico

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonNC View Post
I don't know, old Martin Chemnitz looks pretty good, here.

Jon
Brilliant!

"If anyone says that man can be justified before God by his own works, whether done by his own natural powers or by the teaching of the Law, without divine grace through Jesus Christ, let him be anathema" Council of Trent; Session 6; canon 1.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions