Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 2, '12, 1:29 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic. Gender: Female
Default Re: Romney campaign bucks Republican line on 'Obamacare' as 'tax'

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltzerboy View Post
Do you think most people pay so much attention to the niceties of Roberts' argument that it is a tax or the disagreement between the justices on the status of Obamacare? What's the percentage of people in the country who don't even vote? And among those who do vote, they'll just hear Romney's campaign say it is a tax, or penalty, or whatever, and Obama's say something else. I would predict the whole SC decision will become boring to most of the electorate in a month or so and the state of the economy will resurface as the major issue in both campaigns.
I do not think people are going to ignore this issue, not when the outcome of the election and the implication of health care depending on who the next president is is going directly impact so many peoples wallets in an already near recession economy, and not when polls have shown the intensity against ObamaTax is stronger than intensity in support of ObamaTax
Old Jul 2, '12, 1:38 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Abyssinia View Post
Supreme Court majority opinion declared it as a tax. Most people know that, it was declared so across the screens of all cable and broadcast news stations. I think trying to wade around the fact that it was declared a tax is going to make ObamaTax even more unpopular, because Pelosi etc. are having to defend that is not a tax and more attention is brought to it
I think the people who know it is tax, always new it would be a tax--yet many millions will believe it is not a tax. It does not help that Romney is not actually calling it a tax.

"I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history."
Old Jul 2, '12, 1:40 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Abyssinia View Post
I do not think people are going to ignore this issue, not when the outcome of the election and the implication of health care depending on who the next president is is going directly impact so many peoples wallets in an already near recession economy, and not when polls have shown the intensity against ObamaTax is stronger than intensity in support of ObamaTax
Sadly, I think people will lose attention by the end of this month, maybe earlier.

"I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history."
Old Jul 2, '12, 1:45 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpatrick View Post
I think the people who know it is tax, always new it would be a tax--yet many millions will believe it is not a tax. It does not help that Romney is not actually calling it a tax.
If I heard the word penalty I would think a charge for not purchasing something. People are assuming Romney is not going to use the word tax because of what his campaign aide said, but Romney has said of the taxes, why would he change this wording when it is the truth

Quote:
'Americans “don’t want to see $500 billion in new taxes,” he said. “They don’t want to see a $500 billion cut to Medicare. They don’t want to see what the CBO [Congressional Budget Office] said.'
Old Jul 3, '12, 1:02 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpatrick View Post
Sadly, I think people will lose attention by the end of this month, maybe earlier.
If they ever paid attention at all.
Old Jul 3, '12, 1:09 pm
Prayer Warrior

Team Romney: No, we’re not declaring ‘cease-fire’ on Obamacare

Quote:
In the days since the Supreme Court decision upholding Obamacare, some Democrats and commentators in the press have suggested that Mitt Romney is declaring a “cease-fire” on the issue and will no longer make it a centerpiece of his campaign to defeat President Obama.

“Romney Campaign Declaring Cease Fire on Health Care,” reads the headline of a story on the National Journal website. “For an issue that’s supposedly potent against Democrats, Romney’s campaign is declaring a cease fire,” writes National Journal’s Josh Kraushaar. Less definitively, Scott Conroy at RealClearPolitics writes that as Romney spends the Fourth of July holiday in New Hampshire, “the extent to which he will emphasize health care in the months ahead remained uncertain.”

If Romney has, in fact, declared a “cease-fire” over Obamacare, that would certainly be welcome news to the Obama campaign, where officials have expressed a desire to move on from the troubled and unpopular health care law. “After SCOTUS ruling, poll says Americans want to move on,” tweeted top campaign aide David Axelrod Monday. “But GOP Congress? They want to have themselves a Tea Party.” Axelrod was referring to a new Kaiser Family Foundation survey in which, according to a Los Angeles Times report, “a majority of Americans now want to put the fight over the Affordable Care Act behind them.”

So is the Romney campaign, in fact, declaring a “cease-fire” on Obamacare? No, no, no, says Romney spokesman Ryan Williams. “From our perspective, Obamacare has been and will continue to be a central issue in the campaign,” says Williams. “It presents voters with a bright line that divides the two candidates. Gov. Romney is going to repeal Obamacare and President Obama is going to keep it. There is a clear choice in November.”

“It is something that [Romney] has been discussing on the campaign trail for the past year and that he will continue to discuss,” Williams adds. “It is bad law, it is bad policy, and it’s something that Gov. Romney is going to address on his first day in office. His commitment to repealing Obamacare is as strong as it was on the day Congress jammed it down the throat of the American public.”

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News