Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 10, '12, 10:30 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default How/why the Catholic Church is not a denomination?

Hey everyone. I have heard it said before that the Catholic Church is not a denomination. I agree with this because I know it is orthodox theology but I do not know how/why the Catholic Church isn't a denomination. Could someone please explain this to me? Is it because the Catholic Church is the original Church and didn't split from any other church?

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Jul 10, '12, 10:59 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦
Default Re: Can someone please explain to me how/why the Catholic Church is not a denomination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
Hey everyone. I have heard it said before that the Catholic Church is not a denomination. I agree with this because I know it is orthodox theology but I do not know how/why the Catholic Church isn't a denomination. Could someone please explain this to me? Is it because the Catholic Church is the original Church and didn't split from any other church?
Denominations are an offshoot of the original. The Apostolic Churches (Catholic, Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Assyrian) are of true apostolic lineage, thus bearers of the true faith.
Old Jul 10, '12, 11:18 pm
Banned

Default Re: Can someone please explain to me how/why the Catholic Church is not a denomination?

Denomination means renamed. We were never renamed.
Old Jul 10, '12, 11:55 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguelita View Post
Technically we are. The Apostles called their "group" as The Way. Later on in Antioch, the followers of Christ were called Christians. Then even later on, Catholic and Orthodox were originally adjectives to describe the Church (catholic, universal) and the faith (orthodox, true, correct). Only after the schisms did those adjectives become nouns.
Old Jul 10, '12, 11:59 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic (Latin Rite)

Quote:
Denomination means renamed.
True. The word also shares the same root as "denominator" (the bottom number in a fraction, which is the number of fractional parts).

The Catholic Church is whole. Denominations are fractional parts.

Hooray!
Old Jul 11, '12, 1:09 am

Religion: roman catholic
Default Re: How/why the Catholic Church is not a denomination?

We are not a divided church, we are one. Brothers and Sisters, let us pray for this awareness.
Old Jul 11, '12, 4:03 am
Veteran Member
Greeter

Religion: Catholic Convert
Send a message via MSN to LegoGE1947 Send a message via Yahoo to LegoGE1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreashofer View Post
We are not a divided church, we are one. Brothers and Sisters, let us pray for this awareness.
Jesus prayed that his Church would be one, not 30+thousands!
Old Jul 11, '12, 5:24 am

Quote:
My understanding is that it actually indicates having been named, in which case the Catholic Church is certainly a denomination.

But this is a very silly semantic game over which to quibble.
Old Jul 11, '12, 7:09 am
Banned

To its credit, Wikipedia has an excellent article on this, which I encourage everyone to read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsistit_in
Old Jul 11, '12, 10:56 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
My understanding is that it actually indicates having been named, in which case the Catholic Church is certainly a denomination.
Ever since the year 325 we believe in unam, sanctam, cathólicam et apostólicam Ecclésiam. The Orthodox church - though not yet in full communion with the Catholic church - still professes to be part of the one Catholic church.

All other Christian communities are still part of the "one Church" which is the mystical body of Christ, to which belong all baptized. But the fullness of the Church subsists in the Catholic church, in which we are "one flock with one shepherd".
Old Jul 12, '12, 9:08 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian (seeking admission to the Catholic Church)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
"Denomination" can mean a lot of things. It's a vague term, and I don't think it's a term addressed in any official Catholic teaching. (I may be wrong on that.)

If it simply means "a religious organization," obviously the Catholic Church is one (though one could quibble about the "sui juris churches" and argue that the Catholic Church is actually 23 denominations!).

But the term has a fairly specific, narrow historical meaning. The roots of denominationalism, many would say, lie in 17th-century England with the collapse of the Church of England's attempt to unify all English Christians under one ecclesiastical roof. Dissenting churches were reluctantly recognized, and political thinkers began to articulate the idea that it was a good thing to have multiple expressions of Christianity within a nation.

In America, this theory found its fulfillment, with the First Amendment's disestablishment clause.

In America, a "denomination" came to be defined as one particular organization of Christians among others, none of them claiming to be the Church and all of them cooperating insofar as their differing views allowed. Denominationalism in the narrow sense means that multiple parallel organizations are accepted as the norm, with people choosing the one that best fits them.

In that sense the Catholic Church is clearly not a denomination.

As I said above, you could argue that the "sui juris churches" are denominations. Religious orders are clearly different from denominations, but in some ways function similarly. The recent invention of the "personal prelature" marks another kind of ecclesiastical organization that is somewhat like a denomination.

Catholics are often confused about this because on the one hand they claim not to be a denomination, while on the other mistakenly assuming that each Protestant denomination claims to be what the Catholic Church claims to be.

Edwin
Old Jul 12, '12, 9:29 am
Prayer Warrior

Well, the communion of the 24 sui iuris churches is the Catholic church, and they are not denominations, but autonomous particular churches that "share a specific liturgical, theological and canonical tradition". The Latin Rite or Latin Church is the largest sui iuris church. At a further subdivision we have the local particular churches such as the individual dioceses...

There is a nice explanation of the unity of the one Church founded by Christ and on its subsistence in the Catholic church here.

A religious order or, rather, institute, may be under the supervision of the bishop or of the Holy See itself.

A personal prelature is similar to a diocese, but the latter covers a territory, the former persons, regardless of their location (from this comes the name personal). In it, clergy or lay faithful carry out specific pastoral activities. The only one so far is the Opus Dei, under the governance of a prelate bishop appointed by the Pope, and is subject to the Congregation for Bishops, one of the 9 Congregations of the of the Roman Curia, the central administrative organism of the Catholic Church.

Last edited by R_C; Jul 12, '12 at 9:43 am.
Old Jul 12, '12, 5:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophyte View Post
But this is a very silly semantic game over which to quibble.
Yes, but it's the kind of thing we like to do around here.
Old Jul 12, '12, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBoop416 View Post
Yes, but it's the kind of thing we like to do around here.
Yup, take away the wordplay and CAF collapses into about 3 pages.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics