Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 1, '11, 10:44 am
Observing Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Teaching in Catholic School?

Hey, I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but...
I'm a college freshmen working towards a BA in English and teacher certification for K-12, but whenever I think of myself as a teacher, I always end up imagining myself as a Religion teacher instead of an English teacher. I really have a desire to teach religion in a Catholic high school, but does anyone have any advice on how to go about this?
I've been thinking of double-majoring in English and Religious Studies, but I go to a public university (as much as I wanted to go to a Catholic one, I can't afford it) so I'm not sure if I should trust a secular institution to teach me about religion and I'm not sure how much weight it would hold in a Catholic setting. Can anyone give me some advice, or at least tell me the requirements for teaching religion in Catholic high schools?

Thanks for any help,
Cat
Old Apr 1, '11, 12:07 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Teaching in Catholic School?

I have read many of the posting for high school teaching jobs in the schools near me. To teach Theology at the high school level, the minimum requirement seems to be a Master degree in Theology although I know one teacher who has a Master in Philosophy but had a Bachelor degree in Theology. I doubt that course work in Religious Studies from a non-Catholic school would mean much since those programs tend to be more about comparative religions and not on passing on the Faith.

On the other hand, at the Junior High level, a person with a teaching degree, in any subject, and the diocisan Catechetical certification can teach Religion.

Good luck.
“Above all, the common outcry, which is justly made on behalf of human rights -- for example, the right to health, to home, to work, to family, to culture -- is false and illusory if the right to life, the most basic and fundamental right and the condition for all other personal rights, is not defended with maximum determination.” Blessed Pope John Paul II

"It is not “progressive” to try to resolve problems by eliminating a human life." Pope Francis
Old Apr 1, '11, 1:25 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives
Default Re: Teaching in Catholic School?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRain View Post
Hey, I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but...
I'm a college freshmen working towards a BA in English and teacher certification for K-12, but whenever I think of myself as a teacher, I always end up imagining myself as a Religion teacher instead of an English teacher.

an anyone give me some advice, or at least tell me the requirements for teaching religion in Catholic high schools?

Thanks for any help,
Cat
continue in your current program until you get your teacher certification, then look for grants or internships that will give you religion teacher certification in your diocese. Here you can do it through continuing ed.

If you are only a freshman it is not to late to transfer to a Catholic school that can give you both, nor to try for financial aid. Steubenville being the best first choice.
you can also look into religion teacher or catechist certification in summer conferences, Steubenville being among many such Catholic schools that offer this, or on- line or distance education. Ask at the Catholic schools office or Office of Catechetics at your diocese.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations