Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 5, '12, 8:13 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Holocaust Museau in Jerusalem Praised for Correction to Pius XII Exhibit

The best known piece in this leading museum in Israel was a plaque aimed against Pope XII, a plaque accepting the older view that had been spread by the media that the Pope had refused to oppose the Nazi regime and had ignored the holocaust of the Jews. In 2007 there was a diplomatic incident when the apostolic nuncio warned he would refuse to take part in a ceremony there because of this plaque. Now, since recent information has become public knowledge that contradicts this condemnatory view of Pope Pius, this museum has now put up a new plaque reflecting the Pope's efforts to save Jews.
see www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/world.php?id=5745
Old Jul 5, '12, 10:10 pm

Religion: I belong to God
Default Re: Holocaust Museau in Jerusalem Praised for Correction to Pius XII Exhibit

That's good. God bless.
Old Jul 5, '12, 11:44 pm

Default Re: Holocaust Museau in Jerusalem Praised for Correction to Pius XII Exhibit

About time. It would have been foolish for him to speak out once the war was well underway. There he was, surrounded by Nazis and hiding thousands of Jews at any given time.

Of course, he was vocal in his opposition in the early years, even before the Nazis came to power. Often a lone voice, even, but no one seems to remember that.
Old Jul 6, '12, 12:00 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgspencer View Post
The best known piece in this leading museum in Israel was a plaque aimed against Pope XII, a plaque accepting the older view that had been spread by the media that the Pope had refused to oppose the Nazi regime and had ignored the holocaust of the Jews.
The even older view was that the Pope had done a lot to save the Jews. Then came a calumnous play, The Deputy, written by a Protestant German with possible links to the USSR, and world opinion changed. The author of The Deputy wrote another play in which he libeled someone and lost a lawsuit about it. But people believe what they want to believe.

Quote:
In 2007 there was a diplomatic incident when the apostolic nuncio warned he would refuse to take part in a ceremony there because of this plaque. Now, since recent information has become public knowledge that contradicts this condemnatory view of Pope Pius, this museum has now put up a new plaque reflecting the Pope's efforts to save Jews.
see www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/world.php?id=5745
It's better, but from this one article, it looks like the museum could have done more to correct the falsehoods floating about.
Old Jul 7, '12, 10:11 am

Sainthood has been delayed way to long.
Old Jul 7, '12, 7:29 pm

I'm just so happy this finally happened. Praise God!
Old Jul 9, '12, 7:15 pm

Religion: catholic

Missed this story in MSM
Old Jul 9, '12, 7:21 pm

Religion: catholic

Missed this story in MSM
Old Jul 9, '12, 10:33 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus View Post
Missed this story in MSM
Surprise, surprise.

Your statement made me look for MSM mention of this story. At first I got nothing, but after changing key words, I found some articles.
(By the way, I did not do this to prove you wrong, but because it is a side-interest of mine, how the MSM portrays Catholicism, and I was curious).

I eventually found that the big papers had stories, but I doubt they were given prominence. For once, I think that the MSM headlines are rather better than the Catholic ones.
I don't think they truly "corrected" the anti-Pius stuff, but only "softened" it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...orld-headlines

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...us-xii-642958/
Old Jul 10, '12, 4:05 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

The truth must get out there!
Old Jul 10, '12, 5:40 am
Account Under Review

Some thread on CA said that it was immediately after WW2 that a group of 100 protestant ministers piled on Pius XII in an effort to diminish his high standing as the "lone voice" in Europe (per NY Times) denouncing NAZI's. So the slander didn't start in 1963 with Hochuth's snarky play.

Books on Pius XII and his amazing effort to save Jews include: the biography of his right-hand nun, Sister Pascalina, La Popessa by Paul Murphy. Sister Pascalina came up with the idea of printing fake Baptismal certificates and did so with Pius XII's full permission in the basement of the Vatican; http://www.amazon.com/La-Popessa-Con.../dp/0446512583

and the Smuggler Priest about a peasant-priest from a family of smugglers who hiked the old routes over the mountains to smuggle Jews out under orders of Pius XII via the open city of Assissi where a friendly printer forged identity papers for them;

and The Scarlet & The Black made into a Gregory Peck movie about the "Vatican Pimpernel" who smuggled Jews out of the Vatican and arranged the melting down of gold vessels with Pius XII's permission to ransom the Jews of Rome from NAZI's.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008J2PG/...sl_95cydlrf3_b

Last edited by nordskoven; Jul 10, '12 at 5:43 am. Reason: clarity

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News