Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 11, '17, 6:13 am

Religion: Catholic
Default How do you like Mary

Or maybe 'why' do you like Mary?

I have been Catholic for all my life, but I have never, ever felt a connection to Mary. I've tried, but it doesn't seem to work? There is not much information about Mary, I don't know her personality or her life, unlike Jesus. Praying to her never helps (but then again, so is praying to God) so I just want to understand your reasons for being so close to her. The stuff we know about her doesn't seem enough for me to have any sort of connection with her.
Old Jan 11, '17, 11:29 am

Default Re: How do you like Mary

Interestingly, I find the more I pray the Rosary, the closer I feel to Mary. I don't think it is a coincidence.

Blessings,
Stephie
Old Jan 11, '17, 11:31 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

I love my mama.
So I can readily identify with Mary. She's our mother. I also AM a mother.
I get it.
She loves. I've always loved her because my mother revered her so, and I grew up in a Marian dedicated parish. She seems so much more approachable than the stern looking portrayals of God the Father, for example.
Also, the Gospels portray Christ as our brother. It all makes perfect sense to me.

Music is the only art of heaven on earth...
and the only art of earth that we take to heaven.
Old Jan 11, '17, 11:39 am
Forum Master

Lea 101,

Our Lord Jesus Christ gave His Blessed Mother to us at the foot of the cross. She was graced from the first moment of her conception in her mother's womb that is why she is called the Immaculate Conception.

She pondered what was happening in her life and grew in faith, hope, and love by accepting all the circumstances she was brought through in her life.

When I see a painting or icon of our Blessed Mother holding the Infant Jesus, I picture that the Infant is me and she loves me very much. I also meditate on the Infant being a person that I am praying for.

There are wonderful books about our Lady that inspire us to know her better. Through her intercession many graces come to us. One may not "feel" those graces or notice them until some time passes....but they do come.
Old Jan 11, '17, 11:55 am

Religion: Thankfully Catholic - Roman Rite

She is the most humble creature ever created. I love and venerate my mother and my Queen!
Equal parts serpent and dove (Mt. 10:16)
To all my fellow Catholics, PLEASE correct me if I am theologically incorrect in any of my posts!
Always invoke your Guardian Angel for help.
Old Jan 11, '17, 12:14 pm
Prayer Warrior

I've been participating in a study of the Gospel of Luke and it's really made me appreciate Mary a lot more. Luke's Gospel is told from Mary's point of view and actually, it's likely that he got much of his information directly from her.

You can say, "We don't know much" but what do you base that on? It's true that the historical record is not as clear as what we would establish for today in almost completely literate societies, but there's a lot of scholarship out there. I'd go to the Gospels, read the early Church Fathers, and see what they had to say about Mary.

Another very, very good book (and highly readable) is Mary, Mother of the Son by Mark Shea. This is the first volume of three. You might also like Scott Hahn's Hail, Holy Queen.

Remember Mary's words at the wedding at Cana, too. "Do whatever he tells you." Mary always directs us to her Son.
Old Jan 11, '17, 12:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea101 View Post
Or maybe 'why' do you like Mary?

I have been Catholic for all my life, but I have never, ever felt a connection to Mary. I've tried, but it doesn't seem to work? There is not much information about Mary, I don't know her personality or her life, unlike Jesus. Praying to her never helps (but then again, so is praying to God) so I just want to understand your reasons for being so close to her. The stuff we know about her doesn't seem enough for me to have any sort of connection with her.
She has spoken to me consistently throughout my life. I had the pleasure of having years of my Catholic formation come from Marianist Brothers. Her apparitions should not be ignored, and they can offer further insight into what her concerns are.

Her life is not the focus, but there is enough written about her to get a sense of what her concerns in life were. They are essentially the same today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianistclare View Post
I love my mama.
Old Jan 11, '17, 1:15 pm
Forum Elder

Default Mary, the mother of all who give testimony to her Son (Rev 12:17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephieNorthCo View Post
Interestingly, I find the more I pray the Rosary, the closer I feel to Mary. I don't think it is a coincidence.

Blessings,
Stephie
This. Mary revealed the Rosary for a reason. As you journey ever nearer our Lord, you come to realize that Mary spiritually walks beside us, gently calling our minds back to her Son, should we wander from the path. Except for her human body, her message is that of an angel - and we can grasp that concept, right?

3X cancer survivor: 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma Not Otherwise Specified, 2) Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma, and 3) Myelodysplastic Syndrome. How?
Eucharist, Anointing, Prayer.
Moderator www.cancerforums.net
Old Jan 11, '17, 1:41 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

I love Mary a lot!
Old Jan 11, '17, 2:53 pm

Religion: Christian

When I was first getting into the faith, I was more intimidated by God. I have fears of male figures, so Mary became a huge comfort to me in my process of better understanding Christianity.

Mary is human, yet so wonderful, and I always found that mystifying. She's remarkable really.

"Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you, declares the Lord.
Old Jan 11, '17, 4:32 pm

My love for our Mama Mary began in my childhood home,as observed by my own mother's love and devotion to Our Blessed Mother.It was enhanced by my Catholic schooling at Our Lady of Lourdes .Taught by the Sisters of Mary.How could I not love her?
Old Jan 11, '17, 6:33 pm

I initially had no emotional or intellectual connection to Mary.

It was when the relationship between my mother and I grew deeper and we grew closer over the years did those connections begin to grow.

One of the advices my mother always gave me was to pray to Mary daily.
Old Jan 11, '17, 9:56 pm

Find some good books on Marian devotion. Reading helped draw me to her. There are also lots of good YouTube videos on the subject but also many CRAZY ones. Learn to avoid those. The EWTN website has wonderful resources on this topic. The website containing the writings of St. Josemaria Escriva has tons of short pithy points for meditation - especially The Way, Furrow, and The Forge. Look at the subject index for each. Finally ash Our Lady to draw you to her with a mother's love.
Old Jan 12, '17, 3:31 am
Book Club Member

As a Lay member of the Order of the Brothers (and Sisters) of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary of Mount Carmel, Mary is not only my mother but my patroness and my sister.

As my mother - I relate to her as a model for my life, showing me the "how" of living as a Christian.
As my patroness - I relate to her as a vassal, obedient to her will as it is one with God's Will.
As my sister - I relate to her as a friend and companion.

I've struggled most of my life with relating to Mary but praying the Chaplet of the Seven Sorrows has especially helped to enrich that relationship. I pray the Rosary more often but something about the Seven Sorrows reaches a deeper part of me and connects my heart to hers like nothing else.

"You will not see anyone who is really striving after his or her advancement who is not given to spiritual reading. And as to the one who neglects it, the fact will soon be observed by that one's progress." -- St. Athanasius
Old Jan 12, '17, 7:11 am
Prayer Warrior

I love the Blessed Virgin Mary. When I am in deep distress, I picture myself with my head in her lap as she comforts and prays for me. My own mother is deceased. It is a real comfort for me to turn to the Blessed Mother.

Hail, Mary, full of grace!!

"Have confidence in the Providence that so far has never failed us. The way is not yet clear. Grope along slowly." Saint Mother Theodore Guerin 1798-1856.

Tiber Swim Team - 1987.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality