Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 10, '14, 1:53 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Did Jesus call the Gentiles "dogs"?

I would assume it was metaphor rather than a direct insult. In the same way Christ calling his followers 'sheep' is not an insult to their intelligence or individuality but rather an allegorical way of conveying their relationship with Him, the metaphorical shepherd.

The use of metaphor is indispensable to us and to anyone spreading the complicated message of the Gospels, especially in conveying very abstract concepts to the uneducated or illiterate as in many New Testament examples.
Old Aug 10, '14, 5:42 pm

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
And Jesus went away from there and withdrew to the district of Tyre and Sidon. And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and cried, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely possessed by a demon." But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, "Send her away, for she is crying after us." He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." But she came and knelt before him, saying, "Lord, help me." And he answered, "It is not fair to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs." She said, "Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table." Then Jesus answered her, "O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire." And her daughter was healed instantly.
(Matthew 15:21-28 RSV-CE)

Was Jesus here calling the Canaanite woman or Gentiles in general dogs? Was He insulting them? I never have understood this passage. It almost seems like He was insulting Gentiles by calling them dogs but I don't think Jesus would have done such a thing. Please help.
To call someone a dog in the Ancient Near East was a harsh curse.
Old Aug 10, '14, 5:53 pm

Religion: CATHOLIC

Usually in the Bible dogs are considered unclean animals. Jezebel was eaten by the dogs.

However there is one book that seems to consider dogs pets like we do today. That is in the Book of Tobit, where the little dog travelled with Tobias and Raphael as a faithful companion.
Old Aug 11, '14, 4:00 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephsimon View Post
Commentary of the day :

Saint John Chrysostom (c.345-407), priest at Antioch then Bishop of Constantinople, Doctor of the Church
Homilies on Saint Matthew's Gospel, no.52, 2 ; PG 58, 52

It was because he foresaw her answer that Christ delayed to grant her prayer... His replies were not intended to cause this woman pain but to reveal this hidden treasure.
Glad that this is shared ; the woman would have also seen that twinkle in the eyes and a smile in His voice , when He said those words ; it was also possibly an occasion of preparing the Apostles , for their later mission to the gentiles .

Bl.Emmerich mentions how the woman was a wealthy merchant in the area
( which adds a bit more to the Lord's words to her and her trusting humility in His goodness ) and that she later accompanies the retinue of those who helped The Lord duing His ministry .
True, the word dog can denote what is base, like the use of the word lion - there is
The Lion of Judah, our Lord and there is the prowling lion , which is what seemed to have gotten to the women's daughter ; The Lion of Judah , conquers of course, to whom, those who might be afflicted by any other beastly spirits , also need to turn to !

And The Mother of The Lord Himself , our Mother , can be invited in , to help to do so,

to come with The Dove , The Spirit , to help many to rest in the truth of being His children , with all the dignity and truthful identity that is contained in same !

The prayers of St.Clare whose role helped to drive away those afflicted with the wolfish spirit of biting and tearing up ( she uses the word ' beasts' , about the attackers ) be there for all in our lives !

http://www.americancatholic.org/feat...t.aspx?id=1104
Old Aug 12, '14, 1:19 pm
Banned

Religion: Batlike Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles6129 View Post

Because it is not meet to take the children's bread and cast it to the dogs
The person is possessed and is in need of help by Jesus and He is hesitant because she is not Jewish. How do this make sense with His desire to help and love all?
Old Aug 12, '14, 4:29 pm

Religion: Protestant/Non-Denominational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorns View Post
The person is possessed and is in need of help by Jesus and He is hesitant because she is not Jewish. How do this make sense with His desire to help and love all?
Perhaps the Christ you're thinking of and the Christ of Scripture are two different beings?
Old Aug 12, '14, 7:54 pm
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that even though he refers to non-Jews as dogs he goes on to grant the Gentile woman's request because of her faith.

Also keep in mind that Jesus feeds four thousand Gentiles with miraculous bread a few verses later.

-Tim-

I Ripped My Pants
Old Aug 12, '14, 10:10 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
And Jesus went away from there and withdrew to the district of Tyre and Sidon. And behold, a Canaanite woman from that region came out and cried, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely possessed by a demon." But he did not answer her a word. And his disciples came and begged him, saying, "Send her away, for she is crying after us." He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." But she came and knelt before him, saying, "Lord, help me." And he answered, "It is not fair to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs." She said, "Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table." Then Jesus answered her, "O woman, great is your faith! Be it done for you as you desire." And her daughter was healed instantly.
(Matthew 15:21-28 RSV-CE)

Was Jesus here calling the Canaanite woman or Gentiles in general dogs? Was He insulting them? I never have understood this passage. It almost seems like He was insulting Gentiles by calling them dogs but I don't think Jesus would have done such a thing. Please help.
Yes, but as it turns out, it appears He was a dog-lover.

"It is love alone that gives worth to all things." - St. Teresa of Avila
Old Aug 13, '14, 5:49 pm

Well...The Canaanites in Moses' time were, by his order, to be avoided. So Moses says, "Avoid the Canaanites." This is good advice, because per my physical anthropology class, the next dictum from Moses is what to do with venereal disease symptoms. The Canaanites were "dogs" in the respect of openly having sexual relations of any and all kids so much so that the sacred prostitute Rahab the Harlot, (in Jesus' lineage) was grossed out by her Canaanite people. Oy vey! So they were slated for extermination by God and this is because their sexual indulgence was a very good recruiting technique, with the Chosen People losing fidelity because of this temptation. So Christ wasn't impressed in fostering another Canaanite tart, but certainly honored the uprightness of this lady who, like Rahab, let love rule her life in her humility towards Messiah.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture