Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 26, '12, 6:16 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic
Default Soul and Divinity in Eucharist

The Eucharist is Jesus - body, blood, soul, and divinity. I find the scripture clear on the "body and blood" part and am wondering if there is a place that refers to the "soul and divinity" part. Is there a part of scripture that refers to this directly or is it a teaching handed down from the apostolic fathers, etc.?
Old Jan 26, '12, 6:36 pm

Default Re: Soul and Divinity in Eucharist

I think the theology of the Church is that the body and soul are united. It is the premise for JPII's TOB. Try watching his sermons about it. Also, Jesus's divinity and humanity are united as one. They are inseparable; which means you should be receiving the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus in the Eucharist. It is more of a philosophical approach.

Most of the Scripture references I've read refer to the body and blood.

Check this out.

http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/scrip/a6.html

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/christ-in-the-eucharist
Old Jan 26, '12, 7:32 pm

For your consideration:
Quote:
THE CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA

The totality of the real presence

In order to forestall at the very outset, the unworthy notion, that in the Eucharist we receive merely the Body and merely the Blood of Christ but not Christ in His entirety, the Council of Trent defined the Real Presence to be such as to include with Christ's Body and His Soul and Divinity as well. A strictly logical conclusion from the words of promise: "he that eateth me the same also shall live by me", this Totality of Presence was also the constant property of tradition, which characterized the partaking of separated parts of the Savior as a sarcophagy (flesh-eating) altogether derogatory to God. Although the separation of the Body, Blood, Soul, and Logos, is, absolutely speaking, within the almighty power of God, yet then actual inseparability is firmly established by the dogma of the indissolubility of the hypostatic union of Christ's Divinity and Humanity. In case the Apostles had celebrated the Lord's Supper during the triduum mortis (the time during which Christ's Body was in the tomb), when a real separation took place between the constitutive elements of Christ, there would have been really present in the Sacred Host only, the bloodless, inanimate Body of Christ as it lay in tomb, and in the Chalice only the Blood separated from His Body and absorbed by the earth as it was shed, both the Body and the Blood, however, hypostatically united to His Divinity, while His Soul, which sojourned in Limbo, would have remained entirely excluded from the Eucharistic presence. This unreal, though not impossible, hypothesis, is well calculated to throw light upon the essential difference designated by the Council of Trent (Sess, XIII, c. iii), between the meanings of the words ex vi verborum and per concomitantiam. By virtue of the words of consecration, or ex vi verborum, that only is made present which is expressed by the words of Institution, namely the Body and the Blood of Christ. But by reason of a natural concomitance (per concomitantiam), there becomes simultaneously present all that which is physically inseparable from the parts just named, and which must, from a natural connection with them, always be their accompaniment. Now, the glorified Christ, Who "dieth now no more" (Romans 6:9) has an animate Body through whose veins courses His life's Blood under the vivifying influence of soul. Consequently, together with His Body and Blood and Soul, His whole Humanity also, and, by virtue of the hypostatic union, His Divinity, i.e. Christ whole and entire, must be present. Hence Christ is present in the sacrament with His Flesh and Blood, Body and Soul, Humanity and Divinity.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05573a.htm
In other words...the priest/celebrant...has the power and authority to [only] change the bread into the Body of Jesus The Christ...and the wine into the Blood of Jesus The Christ...all else that happens is not by the priest's power/words of consecration...everything else happens by God's almighty power in the mystery of the indissolubility of the hypostatic union of the Divinity of God the Son, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, with the Humanity of Jesus Christ...and the principle/law of natural concomitance.

Some big words for me but they did help me to see/distinguish what the priest is doing...and as powerful and incredible as that is...understand that it is still the direct power of God that makes the Risen and Glorified Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ...really present in the Holy Eucharist that we consume (thus we are not cannibals). Lastly...the priest is celebrating and acting...in persona Christi...so it really is Christ...that is the God-man, Our Lord Jesus, who is really doing everything...in the power and person of the (His) Most Holy Spirit.

Pax Christi
Old Jan 26, '12, 7:38 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

This thread here might offer some insight.

From what I understand, the Council of Trent declared this true in response to heresy, and it was something intended by Christ, in that he is always present in his soul and divinity -- whereas the physical components are "limited" to the Eucharist as an entity.
Old Jan 26, '12, 7:56 pm
Forum Elder
Book Club Member

The term soma ( = body) used in the NT meant the whole human being. So when our LORD said you would receive HIS soma, that meant ALL of Him!!

ICXC NIKA
Old Jan 27, '12, 3:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearontherun View Post
Is there a part of scripture that refers to this directly...?
I think John 6:57 is pretty close, "As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so he who eats me will live because of me." This seems to refer to eating the whole person of Jesus Christ.
Old Jan 27, '12, 6:57 am
Book Club Member

Thank you all for your replies. I have found them very helpful and it now makes sense to me.
Old Jan 28, '12, 8:48 am
Banned

Quote:
The Eucharist is Jesus - body, blood, soul, and divinity. I find the scripture clear on the "body and blood" part and am wondering if there is a place that refers to the "soul and divinity" part. Is there a part of scripture that refers to this directly or is it a teaching handed down from the apostolic fathers, etc.?

Jesus is not a splintered collection of separate qualifications of bodily existence.

In Him is manifest for us to see, the fulness of the divinity. He tells his apostles after dissertation on the Father.....[ I have been with you so long and you still don't recognize me...he who has seen me has seen the Father...]

In another passage He says [ the Father and I are one].

If this is true of His divinity - then it is true of His body, blood and soul.
Old Jan 28, '12, 9:01 am
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

Quote:
A body without soul is dead. We receive the resurrected Christ, not some dead flesh.

Divinity is affirmation of Christ being God. Also this goes hand in hand with Theosis, as we are divinized through receiving the divinity of God.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture