Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 1, '12, 4:47 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Administration's abortion commitment may be aiding sex-slave industry

Quote:
Washington D.C., Jul 1, 2012 / 05:09 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- By insisting on abortion referrals in its anti-trafficking work, the Obama administration may be inadvertently helping the perpetrators of sex-slavery, a former Health and Human Services official says.

“The present policy of the (HHS) department is: 'Victims be damned; we're going to make an ideological point, that we want them referred to Planned Parenthood' – notwithstanding the fact that it's not in the best interests of victims,” Renewal Forum President Steven Wagner told CNA.
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/ne...erm=daily+news

I don't find this to be surprising at all. Commitment to evil is only going to cause more evil.

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Jul 1, '12, 5:51 pm

Default Re: Administration's abortion commitment may be aiding sex-slave industry

It appears to make sense. The traffickers could only benefit from this option.
Old Jul 1, '12, 6:56 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Holly3278 Send a message via MSN to Holly3278 Send a message via Yahoo to Holly3278
Default Re: Administration's abortion commitment may be aiding sex-slave industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerapt78 View Post
It appears to make sense. The traffickers could only benefit from this option.
I agree. I seriously doubt that sex traffickers would benefit from pro-life laws. That's all the more reason to be pro-life!

"If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself." -- Saint Augustine of Hippo

"The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you'll be amazed at the results."
--St. Josemaria Escriva

“One day, through the Rosary and the Scapular, Our Lady will save the world.”
--Saint Dominic

"Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world."
--Blessed Pope Pius IX

Our Lady's 15 Promises to Those Who Pray the Rosary

Come, pray the Rosary

My Live Journal

Holly's Catholic Blog
Old Jul 1, '12, 9:34 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3278 View Post
[url]

I don't find this to be surprising at all. Commitment to evil is only going to cause more evil.
Neither do I. Planned Parenthood is discusting.

"The Eucharist is the supreme proof of the Love of Jesus. After this, there is nothing more but Heaven."--St. Peter Julian Eymard
Old Jul 1, '12, 10:45 pm
Banned

Religion: Yours

This opinion is downright stupid. If abortion or contraceptives were illegal, traffickers would just get illegal abortions or contraceptives. Do you seriously think that someone engaged in human trafficking would say "Oh no, in order to get abortions for my girls I'd have to break the law, guess I'd better give up human trafficking?"

At least in the case of legal abortions law enforcement could see if someone was getting an unusual number of abortions and use it as the basis for some sort of investigation.
Old Jul 2, '12, 5:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrueCentrist View Post
This opinion is downright stupid. If abortion or contraceptives were illegal, traffickers would just get illegal abortions or contraceptives. Do you seriously think that someone engaged in human trafficking would say "Oh no, in order to get abortions for my girls I'd have to break the law, guess I'd better give up human trafficking?".
So you think having government pay for their abortions is the answer? That opinion is downright stupid.
Old Jul 2, '12, 7:06 am
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
At least in the case of legal abortions law enforcement could see if someone was getting an unusual number of abortions and use it as the basis for some sort of investigation.
And who is reporting this to the authorities?

I think the article has a good point regarding informed consent...

Old Jul 2, '12, 7:31 am

Quote:

Do you honestly think PP reports their best customers to the law enforcement?
Old Jul 2, '12, 8:31 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
This opinion is downright stupid. If abortion or contraceptives were illegal, traffickers would just get illegal abortions or contraceptives. Do you seriously think that someone engaged in human trafficking would say "Oh no, in order to get abortions for my girls I'd have to break the law, guess I'd better give up human trafficking?"

The obama administration forced Catholic charities out ilof this ministry because they wouldst refer fit abortions. Now who do you think would be more compassionate and more interested in freeing these women. PP or acathokic Charities?

Miguel Agustin Pro
Old Jul 2, '12, 8:43 am

Quote:

Not really. If the records of a legal abortion could be used to help fight trafficking, the traffickers would go with the illegal abortion option.
Old Jul 2, '12, 8:49 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic Christian Latin Rite
Send a message via AIM to qui est ce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet007 View Post
Not really. If the records of a legal abortion could be used to help fight trafficking, the traffickers would go with the illegal abortion option.
As if illegal abortion has been wiped out by legal abortion. Kermit Gosnell anyone?
Old Jul 2, '12, 3:20 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
So you think having government pay for their abortions is the answer? That opinion is downright stupid.
Where did I say that?
Old Jul 2, '12, 3:21 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet007 View Post
Indeed. I noticed that the article was lacking any evidence that traffickers were actually using legal abortion services.
Old Jul 2, '12, 3:27 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbender View Post
I think the article has a good point regarding informed consent...
I really didn't get the point about informed consent. Maybe you could expand on it.

It seemed to me that they were saying that the worst part about being a victim of human trafficking was not being able to provide informed consent to your abortions. The fact that these women are being forced into sex slavery in the first place didn't seem to bother the writer.
Old Jul 2, '12, 3:53 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbender View Post
And who is reporting this to the authorities?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamH View Post
Do you honestly think PP reports their best customers to the law enforcement?
I was thinking more along the lines of the authorities requesting records of people suspected of being victims of sex trafficking, but my wording was unclear.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News