Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 7, '12, 7:30 pm

Religion: καθολικός ̠
Default What is this new fangled : Devil off my finances?

I getting a bit queasy about one of my friends (a Catholic and devoted to Mother Mary) telling me to trust in Jesus giving me money by using the Bible. He states from somewhere "If you're praying for money, let me say it again, bind Satan over your finances and command the money to be loosed in the name of Jesus... because the money you want and need is here on this earth. God is not a counterfeiter;He's not going to make money and send it down from heaven. All the money is here in this realm"

Then uses Haggai 2:8, Psalm 50:10 and Psalm 24:1, 89:11, 50:12 .

Im in a middle of a crisis (money issues) so my friend says to use all these (above) means. I may be desperate but Im not going to fall for this.

MJ
....neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor might, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8: 38-39

Old Jun 7, '12, 7:45 pm

Religion: Pentecostal
Default Re: What is this new fangled : Devil off my finances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinJordan View Post
I getting a bit queasy about one of my friends (a Catholic and devoted to Mother Mary) telling me to trust in Jesus giving me money by using the Bible. He states from somewhere "If you're praying for money, let me say it again, bind Satan over your finances and command the money to be loosed in the name of Jesus... because the money you want and need is here on this earth. God is not a counterfeiter;He's not going to make money and send it down from heaven. All the money is here in this realm"

Then uses Haggai 2:8, Psalm 50:10 and Psalm 24:1, 89:11, 50:12 .

Im in a middle of a crisis (money issues) so my friend says to use all these (above) means. I may be desperate but Im not going to fall for this.

MJ
Your friend is Catholic? They sound like they've been listening to Creflo Dollar! Seriously, I'd avoid getting to caught up in the whole prosperity gospel thing. Just trust God that he can take care of you. He didn't promise us earthly riches or an easy life, but he did promise that he would be there for us to strengthen and sustain us. He knows what you need before you ask so just abide under the shadow of his wings.

Also, I didn't know Catholics used the "binding and loosing" terminology in reference to praying against Satan during a personal attack. I thought that Catholics used that phrase in reference to the Church's powers of the keys and church discipline.

Relax, stay calm, and no matter what happens don't feed the trolls.
Old Jun 7, '12, 8:02 pm

Religion: catholic

It sounds like the standerd 'name it/claim it' ;line. Get way and stay away from the them. They want you rmoney.
Old Jun 7, '12, 8:46 pm

Religion: καθολικός ̠

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltwin View Post
Your friend is Catholic? They sound like they've been listening to Creflo Dollar! Seriously, I'd avoid getting to caught up in the whole prosperity gospel thing. Just trust God that he can take care of you. He didn't promise us earthly riches or an easy life, but he did promise that he would be there for us to strengthen and sustain us. He knows what you need before you ask so just abide under the shadow of his wings.
Thanks. Im not falling for it. I trust in the Lord and He will provide.

Quote:
Also, I didn't know Catholics used the "binding and loosing" terminology in reference to praying against Satan during a personal attack. I thought that Catholics used that phrase in reference to the Church's powers of the keys and church discipline.
Exactly. It's odd that my friend is slipping here. I need to have to talk with him, maybe he's in a bigger crisis.

MJ
....neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor might, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 8: 38-39

Old Jun 7, '12, 9:20 pm

Religion: Catholic

I'm not one for the "Name it and Claim it" line, either. The Bible isn't a magic book to be used to get money.

But, there is some truth to what your friend is saying. Satan definitely wants to get a hold of our finances, to curse the people of God and ruin their lives. Tell your friend the main thing is to trust God, and to know that He provides for what we need. We should stick to the promises of God in the Bible, and I really like the verse that says "I have not seen the just forsaken, nor his seed seeking bread" Psalm 37:25.
Old Jun 7, '12, 11:11 pm

Religion: Orthodox

While the words sound quite protestant, God will provide. If you need something pray for it, and if it is a true need, God will give it to you.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." - Douglas Adams
Old Jun 8, '12, 5:45 pm

Give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.

Proverbs 30:8-9
Old Jun 8, '12, 5:51 pm

Default new age

This sounds a lot like the "health and wealth" gospel which comes from the New Age movement - the "law of attraction" I reject both of them.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions