Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 27, '12, 4:46 pm

Religion: Catholic,Traditionalist,Latin,Eastern Rites and proud of it!
Unhappy Is this just a phase??

dear forum!!

I was baptized i think at 2 weeks old, so i'm a cradle Catholic. I was raised on/next to the Altar as a Altar Server, two very strong Catholic parents. I've wanted to be a Priest since i was knee-high (i'm going through with Religious Life/Priesthood as i start the noviaite in one year and a month and one or two weeks). I however fell into a impure/stupid lifestyle. I returned to actually practicing and believing my Faith, not just being there at Mass. I fell completley in love with JESUS CHRIST and gave up the language, masturbation etc. now, here is the question: i've been through a few dry spells , i am fighting laziness and some other vices etc ( as we all are) but i am sincere and feel very passionate about my Faith, i realized, without my Faith, suicide is a desirable thing!!, In fact, i want to devote my Life to my Faith as a Priest and Religious. I go to Confession weekly, have a vocations director, have a spiritual director/confessor (who is leaving us!! ), and i love MASS!!!

How do i know that my Faith isnt just a phase??

im so scared it is, and i dont want it to be, as my Faith gives me the meaning of waking up every morning.

Can i get some help please!!

Seminarian studying for the Sacred Priesthood of JESUS CHRIST in the Archdiocese of Detroit

J.M.J
Old Jun 27, '12, 5:23 pm
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita
Default Re: Is this just a phase??

What do you mean by faith?

How you speak and act?

What you believe?

How you feel about things -- maybe you don't like the way you feel about them?

To me, "faith" is deeper than these things. Deeper than what I can describe in words that I believe. It is an inherent condition whereby I am content with whatever situation I'm in to the degree I cannot control it, and not afraid of what happens next or what I'm going to do next. And if I end up doing things I don't like, they don't cause me distress; I just get back up and keep going.

Alan
Old Jun 27, '12, 5:40 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

You are doing everything just right from what I've read. Think about it. Does the question you are asking sound like it's coming from a good place? To me It sounds like it's meant to sow doubt just at a time when you are making so much progress.

Jesus, Mary, Joseph We LOVE You, Save Souls!
Old Jun 27, '12, 5:42 pm

When i say Faith, i mean something deep inside of me, a trust sort-of, is it perhaps from the Devil? i beleive the apostles creed, i am in no way a "cafeteria Catholic" i am traditional and orthodox on my beliefs, enjoy the traditions and devotions Holy Mother Church ahs to offer, particularly the Sacred Heart etc.

your thoughts??

Seminarian studying for the Sacred Priesthood of JESUS CHRIST in the Archdiocese of Detroit

J.M.J
Old Jun 27, '12, 5:52 pm

I honestly think it is. The devil doesn't deserve this much of your attention. Is it really bothering you? I would just pray a short prayer and be done with it.

Jesus, Mary, Joseph We LOVE You, Save Souls!
Old Jun 27, '12, 6:21 pm
Banned
Forum Supporter

Religion: catholic
Send a message via AIM to AlanFromWichita

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymamamary View Post
When i say Faith, i mean something deep inside of me, a trust sort-of,

your thoughts??
This is what jumped out at me. It is a deep-rooted trust. You don't know where it comes from -- just that you have it. That sounds excellent to me!

That's because if you truly trust that a) the Holy Spirit does have things under control, and will advise you if you open your heart and mind (and try to fear less -- use that trust as salve for your fears about where it came from -- your trust is legit) and b) that God's will be done on earth. If you trust that, then all other trials are just tests and obstacle courses and challenges for you to become your spiritual best while you walk the face of the earth. It is not only OK, but Jesus's intention that we come into His kingdom while we are still here -- Jesus called that being "born again."

Alan
Old Jun 27, '12, 6:25 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert
Wink Re: Is this just a phase??

If you wamt to make sure it is not just a phase, I think it is ok to wait a bit of time (a year or so maybe?) to ensure it is not just a feeling. Honestly, it took me roughly a year and a half to be sure before joining the Catholic church! I needed to be sure that it was more than just a feeling or a phase. There really is no rush... use study, prayer and the sacrements to ground your faith!
Old Jun 27, '12, 6:27 pm

Religion: Catholic

You are quite young, aren't you? Are you out of high school? The priesthood may very well be your vocation; however, I have noticed that in many of your posts you sound scrupulous. I'm not criticizing you, because I'm scrupulous myself. And I too, had a religious reawakening a year ago and my faith is now very important to me..it's part of everything I do. (I'm 44 and married though so my vocation is already decided). But I've realized that part of the reason I'm scrupulous is that I had such a lax conscience before--I was definitely a "Cafeteria Catholic" and now that I've had a conversion, I am scrupulous b/c I no longer trust my own judgement, seeing as how it was so poor before. I don't know if this fits you at all, but if it does, I would think that you would need to give yourself more time to grow in your own faith before you decide to become a priest who guides others in their faith. Does that make sense? I would also get a priest/spiritual director (which isn't easy where I live...a small midwestern Protestant town) to help you decide what your vocation might be. You don't have to join the seminary right out of high school. I have known of priests who have been lawyers and engineers before becoming priests. You are "on fire" for Jesus, and He is pleased with you, I am sure. My advice would be just to take one day at time, living each day for Him.
Old Jun 27, '12, 6:30 pm

Sorry, I just realized you said you already had a spiritual director, but he's leaving. I hope you will find another good one!
Old Jun 27, '12, 6:35 pm

When a person marries another person, his or her emotions are generally very high and positive. You could say that he or she is in a "phase." And there is no doubt this phase will pass. A relationship changes. In a long marriage, there will be many phases, some unpleasant, some pleasant, some neutral. But, whether the marriage will last depends on the person's ACTS of WILL, his or her decision to stay committed to his or her highest values.

In your case, yes, if you commence a religious vocation in the Church, you too will go through many phases with many different composites of feelings. Things change. We never stay the same. We age, we develop. But whether you STAY in the vocation to which you have committed yourself by a solemn public pledge will depend not on what emotional phase you are in, but on your ACTS of WILL. In the end, life is a TEST of WHO and WHAT you are as a person. Life is a test of your character.

Some people CHOOSE to just "go with the flow" with whatever emotional phase they happen to drift into. You stated once you yourself "fell into a impure/stupid lifestyle." (Well, so have I myself.) But whether that happens again is UP TO YOU. It can't just "happen" to you. It will require your CONSENT.

No matter what you do, you will, like every human being (including Jesus Christ), have ups and downs in your feelings.

Whether your life overall feels good or not depends more on your CHARACTER, your INTEGRITY, your VIRTUE (or vice).

In some, this time of your life is a phase and it will pass. We ALL go through a series of phases. The key thing is to live life in all our phases with Integrity, Character and Virtue.

How do you like that answer?

Any good? Helpful?

Thank God if it was helpful.

Forgive me if it wasn't.
Old Jun 27, '12, 6:42 pm

Smile Re: Is this just a phase??

Well, i've always had this "vocation", meaning, i've always felt this call to the Priesthood, when i was young etc., but now its manfiesting itself more openly i guess. I know it will be hard to lead when im scrupulous, but from talking to my Directors, scrupulosity is workable in the seminary. I wont be the first guy to go in there or the monastery with scrupulosity (phew what a releaf). It will take some major adjusment, probably, most likley, but not impossible. I also want to do this. I dont want to be married (i love the Sacrament of Matrimony, as without it i wouldnt be here talking to y'all), Marriage and being a dad and husband in the biological sense, just doesnt attract me (dont get me wrong, girls do attract me, as it does to every guy, but not in the marriage sense). Serving CHRIST and HIS Church does though. I WANT to give my life for the Church, to absolve sins, and Say HOLY MASS!!

J.M.J
Old Jun 27, '12, 7:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymamamary View Post
Well, i've always had this "vocation", meaning, i've always felt this call to the Priesthood, when i was young etc., but now its manfiesting itself more openly i guess. I know it will be hard to lead when im scrupulous, but from talking to my Directors, scrupulosity is workable in the seminary. I wont be the first guy to go in there or the monastery with scrupulosity (phew what a releaf). It will take some major adjusment, probably, most likley, but not impossible. I also want to do this. I dont want to be married (i love the Sacrament of Matrimony, as without it i wouldnt be here talking to y'all), Marriage and being a dad and husband in the biological sense, just doesnt attract me (dont get me wrong, girls do attract me, as it does to every guy, but not in the marriage sense). Serving CHRIST and HIS Church does though. I WANT to give my life for the Church, to absolve sins, and Say HOLY MASS!!
Please know that I will be praying for you!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality