Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 28, '12, 4:56 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default It's been two years since I matured and gotten serious

Fighting an addiction ... most conservatives wanted me to be accountable; most liberals encouraged the addiction because I was "living" and "not hurting anyone." Something in me slowly guided me back to my Catholic upbringing - I discovered a base, a grounding - although I never really disowned it - I thought of myself as liberal Catholic, an oxymoron in itself.
13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. - Matthew 7:13-14
Old Nov 28, '12, 11:33 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic: Revert
Lightbulb Re: Why Did You Revert Back to Catholicism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristSupreme View Post
Hello there...

I just had a question for all of the reverts who were born into a Catholic family, left to go to another denomination (became a "born again" christian), and then reverted back to Catholicism at a later time.
Quote:

1) What were some of the things that led you back to the Catholic Church? Were they things that were good in the Catholic Church that caused you to go or things that were bad in the church to which you had gone when leaving the Catholic church?
Here, read My Testimony .
Quote:
2) Were there things that you still disliked about the Catholic Church when you reverted back? Have they been resolved since?
Not really. As I grew in knowledge I began to see them more clearly and they made sense.
Quote:
I am interested in hearing your answers.
Quote:

Just an FYI, I was born Catholic and am now in a Baptist Church
You too need to come home. I was so wrong and I always missed the Real Presence in the Eucharist, and that is one thing that no n-C community can offer. Baptists often talk about "being fed" in their communities, but according to the Word of God and the writings of the early church, they really are not feeding His lambs and sheep. Check out my blog post called The Eucharist IS Scriptural.

Old Nov 29, '12, 8:04 am

Default Re: Why Did You Revert Back to Catholicism?

I was baptized a Catholic but was raised essentially as an atheist. My parents, especially my father were committed atheists.

I went to university to study physics and encountered a lot of scientists who were devout Christians. I used to think Christians were intellectually challenged. I was wrong. At first I spent time as an Evangelical.

I harbored a lot of misconceptions on the Catholic Church but I was challenged by a Southern Baptist minister to find out for myself if these ideas I held about the Catholic church was true. I did and I discovered that I was mistaken all this time. I still did not darken the door of a Catholic church until I learned more about the Eucharist. This was what finally brought me back.
Old Nov 29, '12, 11:09 am

Religion: Roman Catholic (revert!)

Oh, dear....this is going to be a bit of a long one
I'll compose this elsewhere and then paste it later
Old Dec 1, '12, 12:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of Narnia View Post
Oh, dear....this is going to be a bit of a long one
I'll compose this elsewhere and then paste it later
I'm looking forward to your story!
13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. - Matthew 7:13-14
Old Dec 1, '12, 10:22 am

Religion: Hard-core Papist Catholic

Quote:
1) What were some of the things that led you back to the Catholic Church?
I drifted away because I had little knowledge of any church other than Catholic, but it was very important for me to know that I had the real truth. I was afraid of being blinded by childhood bias and losing my salvation because of clinging to half-truths.

I was in the military, so I moved every few years and experienced a variety of denominations and churches in different cities and states. I realized that it was important to have consistency in teachings and belief wherever I was posted. Nothing is more confusing when raising kids to tell them, "We used to believe that when we lived in Arizona. Now that we're in Maine our new pastor says differently. But if we go back to Arizona, we'll change our minds again."

I've traveled all over the world, and it is comforting to know that the Mass, the scriptures, and the teachings are consistent every Sunday in every country and language.

The Lutherans were somewhat appealing, until I learned that Martin Luther tried to throw out significant parts of the New Testament because he didn't agree with it. I didn't like being taught that Luther believed we could never be completely cleaned of sin, that we were covered by the white cloak of Christ but under that cloak we remained filthy lumps of coal. That's in direct contradiction of Revelation (which Luther tried to toss out) where we are told that nothing impure can enter heaven.

The Episcopals were somewhat appealing, until certain parts of that church ordained as priests actively practicing homosexuals. The last straw was when one of these was elevated to bishop, and the rest of the Episcopals could do nothing about it except join the Roman Catholic church.

Assemblies of God was slightly appealing, until I learned they emphasized particular scripture passages while conspicuously ignoring others. I showed an Assemblies of God minister-in-training John 20:22-23, "...Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them..." He had the passage immediately prior highlighted, and the passage immediately after highlighted, but shook his head and said, "I wonder why they never pointed that out to us." He never did bring me an answer.

The Orthodox were both interesting and fairly consistent in teaching. I discovered, however, that there are areas of moderate disagreement between the different national Orthodox churches, and they have no single agreed-upon catechism. They are also somewhat archaic in practices, such as telling a woman who just gave birth that she had to stay away from communion and/or the sanctuary until she completed 40 days of ritual purification. I don't think Jesus ever ran a woman off because she was on her period or just gave birth.

Certain non-denominationals were not at all appealing, when I found the pews full of women loudly gossiping. The greeters did not ask them to cease and join in prayer, the pastor did not object, and everyone's attention was divided between the Lord and whatever dirt they could learn today.

As a group the non-denominationals were not appealing, because there was no consistency in belief or teaching between one congregation and another.

I almost became a Baptist. I liked the motivational preaching, the emphasis on piety, and the conservative social orientation. What stopped me was reading the preface to the Baptist Faith and Message where it says,
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baptist Faith and Message
(2) That we do not regard them as complete statements of our faith, having any quality of finality or infallibility. As in the past so in the future, Baptists should hold themselves free to revise their statements of faith as may seem to them wise and expedient at any time. We reserve the right to change our minds whenever.

(3) That any group of Baptists, large or small, have the inherent right to draw up for themselves and publish to the world a confession of their faith whenever they may think it advisable to do so. We agree to disagree from one congregation to another on major and minor doctrines.

(4) That the sole authority for faith and practice among Baptists is the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments. Confessions are only guides in interpretation, having no authority over the conscience. Solo Scriptura.
What finally stopped me from becoming a Baptist was the testimony of the Baptists in different regoins of the country about the Eucharist. My Baptist sister-in-law, who lived out west, was horrified by the idea that communion could be the real Body and Blood of Christ. It was a memorial meal, period. But when I moved to the southeast US, the Baptists there said, "Of COURSE it's the real Body and Blood of Christ. How could anyone believe otherwise?" They couldn't explain how it became the B&B, other than to say that if you consumed it reverently it became the B&B. So even those B&B believing Baptists were ignorant of the Early Church Fathers who recorded that the bread and wine were transformed when the presider said the consecration prayers.

What finally brought me all the way back was learning the answers to the criticisms made against the Catholic church, and discovering the explanations for the doctrines I found objectionable because I didn't understand them. I've been solidly Catholic ever since.

Two huge resources made the difference to me: Karl Keating's book Catholicism and Fundamentalism, followed a few years later by the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Quote:
Just an FYI, I was born Catholic and am now in a Baptist Church.
Bless you for being in a solid Christian congregation. I hope you never have to move, or at least never relocate to a different part of the country.
Old Dec 1, '12, 6:44 pm

Quote:
Hello there...

I just had a question for all of the reverts who were born into a Catholic family, left to go to another denomination (became a "born again" christian), and then reverted back to Catholicism at a later time.

1) What were some of the things that led you back to the Catholic Church? Were they things that were good in the Catholic Church that caused you to go or things that were bad in the church to which you had gone when leaving the Catholic church?

2) Were there things that you still disliked about the Catholic Church when you reverted back? Have they been resolved since?

ChristSupreme,

I was raised Catholic and went Protestant for over 25 years. I had problems with protestant theology, including Baptist. Before I reverted, I attended a Baptist church. At the "new member" class, I had some questions that were not answered, not by the leader of the class, nor by the assistant pastor afterwards. (It was a megachurch, the pastor didn't reply to my emails, and that's OK...he's very busy).

They taught from the pulpit that a believer's future sins were forgiven right now. I saw in scripture that if we confess, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins (1 Jn 1:9). The sins of Christians are also forgiven at the anointing of the sick (Jas 5:14-15). When Jesus gave the Lord's prayer, He said if we don't forgive the sins of others, the Father won't forgive us our sins (Mt 6:15). Jesus warned His disciples (not the Pharisees, not national Israel) that He didn't know when He was coming back, and we need to be ready. If we're behaving well, we'll be blessed, but if we say "my Lord will be a long time coming" and behave badly (i.e., we sin), He will cut us into pieces (Mt 24:42-51). These are just some indications in the New Testament that a Christian's future sins are not forgiven right now.

The gospel is "repent and believe", right? Is it a once-for-all repentance, or do you have to continue to repent? Remember, we'll be saved if we hold fast (1 Cor 15:2, Heb 3:6, 14). We're reconciled if we continue in the faith, not moved away (Col 1:22-23). All of this is "believe and repent". The demons believe and shudder. We need to believe and repent. And it's all a gift. Sinful flesh can't work to please God (that's the "not by works"). We need to be reborn. The Catholic church teaches that sanctification (a gift from God...it's all grace) has to be there on judgment day. Look at the judgment passages. Isn't it apparent that sanctification has to be there? Is it "faith alone" or does Jesus look for sanctification also? Look at the parable of the talents (Mt 25:14-30). To the slave who hid his talent, Jesus will say "you wicked slave, you knew I reap where I didn't sow...depart". How does "faith alone" save this guy here? It sure looks like our rebirth and the resultant fruit will be looked for on that day, and it has to be there.

God bless you and I pray He gives you wisdom in this matter,
BHM

2 Cor 7:10 "For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death."
Old Dec 1, '12, 8:11 pm
Greeter

Quote:
Hello there...

While i wandered aound i never really joined another church i came very close.
The first sermon i listened to after dumping the Church i felt something was missing. This sounds harsh but Jesus was missing, like many other the Eucharist drew me back.
But first i tried to prove the new church from scripture but scriptures yeilded more catholic than my new church.
Old Dec 4, '12, 7:40 pm

So, I reluctantly became a catholic at ten (Baptised & first communion) because my evil step-monster (who's now more angelic) from the Phillipeans believed I should get these (thank God she did her Catholic duty as a parent). I rebelled against a catholic education and got with the wrong crowd in junior high. By high school, I sucessfully ditched a full semester leading me to a boarding school (non-catholic). So, basically, you can say I'm all secular with the bungee cord of Baptism being my only attachment to God. Fast forward through college on college graduation where dad (baptist) drops fifty pounds and has emphasima (divorced from the lady who got me Baptised) scared me. We (dad & me) become Christmas/Easter Catholics (but don't confess or take host). For a decade I help my dad (caregiver) and let the little devil in me die. Fast forward to dad dies ( sigh ) .... ( gulp ) .... Omg my boyfriend is possessed by a demon .... I'm too tired to care .... I'll learn Italian & goto Italy with some of my inheritance; get my mind off things and might get me away from psycho who loves South Park (it is kinda funny) ... Crazy South Park episode has priest turned into video game figure making his way through Vatican (what is the Vatican???? Omg the writers of South Park know more about my faith than I do ...... Eeeck). Hello, church, I'm catholic & going to Italy & SP knows more about you than I do .... Help .... Yes, I can goto RCIA class Tuesday nights, but I'm already catholic. Took most all classes & went to Italy.

Ummm, I was so spiritually sick I came back in total submission - sick of how sin burns here and now. Also found a hunger for knowledge & wisdom of the Church and I still can't get enough. Reading from St Terese' (Liseaux) I can see how God stooped to get me back.
Old Dec 5, '12, 12:12 am

Funny enough I was just thinking about my reason for coming back home.
I was Muslim for 12 years. I convert to Islam in my 20's I remember that at the time I came to my own personal crossroads and felt that the church was not able to answer the question that I had, about God and life and what my purpose was, I was confused I loved my God, but found no pleasure in being part of the Catholic church anymore.
I soon found myself surrounded by Muslim men and women who told me about Allah and all his goodness , which made Islam sound so attractive, they started telling me about their way of living which was so different from any other religions.
Islam I found was not just a religion ,but it really was a way of living ,that it was an honor to cover your head for the females and dress modestly ,that praying 5 times a day was good ,reading the Quran and doing good deeds ,that alcohol ,gambling ,drugs, sex outside of marriages etc was HARAM (unclean) that everything that was pointed out to us in the bible they were doing ,but we were not , so for 12 years I was not part of the Church I was known as Sahida instead of Stella.
But there was one thing we have as Catholic’s, that no other denomination has ,our Sacraments ,and most importantly the Eucharist …
Now at 1st that was not the things that draw me back ,but it was the sense of community ,the sense of us praying and worshipping together ,in Islam men and women worshipped separately ,and the women took on a lesser role in the attending of mosque or doing the salaat (Muslim prayers) etc she would end up doing her prayers in a room all on her own or with her daughters ,her role was that of mother ,wife and entertainer 1st ,she was not the one spending time reading and learning about the wonder of Allah that was the father and sons duty (oh by the way Allah is the arabic word of God ) sadly enough a lot of muslim woman accepted it that way and I would say preferred it that way too ,it was like it ok he can go and prayer I would stay home and make the roti and curry . :
For 12 years I push all the prayers I knew as a child, The Our Father, The Creed, the Hail Mary I banned them from my memory. But about 4 years ago things started changing, then it slowly happened, I would be making my salaat instead of saying “bismillahrrahmanirrahim” meaning in the Name of Allah, the most beneficent and the most merciful “I would say In the name Of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” I would have to stop shake myself to get the right words..Or instead of saying the Surah Al-Fatihah I would be saying the Our Farther and Hail Mary.my salaat starting to meaning nothing and I stop praying it, and instead just said the Our Father ,but there was still something missing!!!!!!
Then one day I went to a family’s friend son final vows ,(he became a priest in Feb this year)and I sat in the church realizing just how much I have missed it ,and when the bishop at the time raised the host and said “Behold the Lamb of God ,behold him who takes away the sins of the world ,blessed are those called to the supper of the Lamb “ that was it ,that was January 2010 a day I would never forget and my start to my final journey back home .Our God is so wonderful and merciful during Lent of 2010, was the time I decided that I was coming back for good …I remember going through a spiritual fight with myself and God ,I yelled at God what do you want of me what do you want me to do I was crying hysterically, yelling ,fighting ,and in all of this I heard the words “GO HOME” and my soul, my whole begin knew what those words meant and who said them ..I knew what I had to do, and on Holy Thursday that same week it was my 1st officially time back as a member of the catholic church …
I agree with what JRKH had to say” I came home because no other Church or Religion had or has what the Catholic Church has. The Blessed Eucharist wherein, we have the Real and True presence of Christ. And by Christ's own words if we do not eat of this, we have no life within us.
No other church community has that, no other religion ever will
Think back I realized that God knew where I would end up and that HE gave me the chance to go and find out that which I was searching for ,and that just like the Prodigal Son, I would find my way home

Jeremiah 29:11 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Old Dec 5, '12, 9:51 am

I married my college sweetheart, who was not a Catholic, but who agreed to be married in the Catholic Church. When we located in the town in which we were going to raise our children, far from the big cities in which we were educated, I could not get her interested in attending the Catholic Church. She was looking for "better music" and "fellowship." So, together we found better music in the Methodist church. Fast fwd 33 years to the time our daughter announced from another town thousands of miles away from home, that she has a girlfriend, and she was "born that way." I embarked on a search through the teachings of our Methodist church, and found there was none on homosexuality. Ditto in all the other protestant churches in our town. Then I walked into the Catholic Church and found exactly what I needed. I came roaring back home, into the Catholic Church. It took twelve long years, countless hours of prayer, the sacraments, total immersion in the teachings of our church, commitment to the RCIA program and gentle prodding to reach our daughter. Two years ago we were blessed with our daughter's completion of her RCIA program at the Easter Vigil, her reception of the Sacraments and entry into the Church. She left the lifestyle she was leading, and has embraced all the Church teaches. My sweetheart of 43 years is still a Methodist, but she has a new understanding of my Roman Catholic faith.

Dennis2R
Old Dec 5, '12, 10:34 am

Quote:
Hello there...

Quote:
First this is an excellent question and I hope the Bishops get all the responses.
Quote:
Quote:

One evening at Barnes and Nobles I was preparing for the Sunday School class that I taught. We were to discuss the verses in Acts where Paul had shared the Gospel without the use of Scriptures. Paul was talking to (apparently) Stoics and Epicureans and other philosophers. While milling around in the store I ran across a set of CDs that Barnes and Nobles used to put out. One was entitled What Would Socrates Do?, by Peter Kreeft. I was entriqued by its subject, the history of Ethics. I bought it and became addicted to Kreeft. The course was not a direct (or should I say, agressive) evangalization of the Faith; in fact, unless one investigated he would not know Kreeft is a Catholic. I bought a number of his books Soccrates meets Machavilli, Socraties meets Freud, Virtue (I forgot the name - a must must must read), and a number of others he forced me to read The Republic every year and I feel in love with Aristotle's Nicomean Ethics; was blessed with Kreefts Socratic Logic - this text is a must and should be a part of every students curriculum (especially a Spelliing book) staring in the eighth grade. Kreeft enticed me into CS Lewis, GK Chesterton. Finally reading Newman forced me to look closer at Mother Church. Soon I was reading the history of the church. As Chesterton said, "a good protestant that knows history is condemned to be a Catholic."

As I read it became obvious the problems I was having with my current protestant beliefs were answered by the Catholic faith.
There were so many different interpretations of the bible - it drove me crazy
How do I really know Scriptures are infallible
How can it be that anyone could be a leader; all that was required is that members FEEL you are given the "call"
What about the ordinances; were they really only a symbol, so why do we place so much emphasis
And I could not feel comfortable with the idea that there so many denominations
As time progressed, I wanted all of God and as much of Him that I could get: if communion was REALLY the REAL presence than I needed to find out how to get it

But I (just) could not leave.

I had such a good relationship with my church and its people. Well, I have written way too much......
2) Were there things that you still disliked about the Catholic Church when you reverted back?
Quote:
I was shocked at how many Catholic - even practicing Catholics - do not believe some of the basic tenants of the faith. And their lack of basic knowledge of the Faith. Lastly, when I was a protestant if we had someone just remotey interested in our faith, we would be on him like stink on sulfur, not so with the One True Faith
Quote:
Have they been resolved since?
I have accepted the idea that we (The True Faith) is a hospital not a home for the healthy. And I have recognized that I am being judgemental - a real eye-opener. And for that I have been forgiven.
It seems that there is some progress made in educating the FAithful, but I am surprised there is not a stronger effort put into education of the basis of the Catechism - a must
Quote:

Old Dec 5, '12, 11:00 am
Prayer Warrior

I am enjoying all of your conversion stories. I hope you will consider posting your story at:

http://whyimcatholic.com/

or pass it along to all your Protestant and Catholic friends and family.

Peace
Old Dec 5, '12, 11:06 am

Religion: Catholic (duh!)

Just felt a tug inside of me to return and not to mention, my entire family (cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.) on all sides of my family (mom, dad, and step-dad) are all Catholic.

The Catholics Come Home website and Facebook page really helped in returning to the Church.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics