Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 4, '12, 4:18 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Ride out and meet them in battle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
I am sorry but I do not understand which is the point that I am missing.

The one about the hay.

Ed
Old Jun 4, '12, 5:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
The one about the hay.

Ed

Thanks, sometime I am really really slooooooow.
Old Jun 5, '12, 7:49 am

I just wanted to add this quote that I just finished reading, I translated the quote from the Italian version, I am not sure if the original was in Italian or English because the author wrote in both languages:

Nobody gets killed for a theorem, while hundreds of thousands have died for God, in whom they believed without being able to prove the existence: They testified to, which is worth more than proving it.

Giuseppe Prezzolini (1882-1982)
Old Jun 5, '12, 11:16 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Nobody gets killed for a theorem, while hundreds of thousands have died for God, in whom they believed without being able to prove the existence: They testified to, which is worth more than proving it.

Giuseppe Prezzolini (1882-1982)
Awesome quote.

I am glad to see the Church in the US begin to resist the efforts of the world to de-Christianize the country. In our home we gave up cable a year ago and limited TV to the weekends in an attempt to preserve our kid's innocence. I think there is a lot more we need to do. A simple thing that needs to happen is to stand up to the sports games scheduled on Sundays, especially Sunday mornings. Until parents stand up and say "not my kid," it will only get worse.
Old Jun 7, '12, 10:18 am

Religion: Returned Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurQArch View Post
The event is taking place nationwide in response to the HHS mandate, see http://standupforreligiousfreedom.com/ for more details on that.
But I guess my question is more in general, have we as Catholics become passive in the face of evil - not just in defending rights, but also in protecting our families from evil?
I will be there! Hope to see more New Yorkers!
Old Jun 9, '12, 11:48 am

Religion: ONE HOLY CATHOLIC AND APOSTOLIC CHURCH - Revert

Quote:
There are two things that really bother me.

The first is the idea of a battle of us vs. them. Who is really them? My concern is that we are creating a escape goat in Obama and his team and that we do not properly target the right enemy with the right actions. I really agree with the article by Peter Kreeft
How to Win the Culture War

especially under the section Who is our enemy?. It seems easy to get a firearm and get into a holy war, that is a reaction that I see in a lot of young people in reaction to the movie For the Greater Glory. I used to be that way, but now I am an older man that has a better grasp of his religion, spent time in the army and knows what firearms can do to bare flesh. I really believe that we are at war and that we should not be comfortable at all.
My impressions are that this is being called a "Crusade" by some and a football game by others. I hope we all know what happened during some of the Crusades. Mob mentality took over and innocent people were killed.

I also have gotten the impression that some people who look upon this as a Crusade or football game say "Rah! Go get 'im!" and then don't do anything themselves but sit back and watch, if even that.

This is a war! We all need to fight! This is the biggest battle that I, personally, have ever been involved in (with the exception of my personal battle with trying to find out what Truth is and that led me straight back to the Church I had abandoned). Everyone can do something. If I can't go to a demonstration or speech (and I can't) I can still pray with all my heart and soul. If I can do it anybody can. I'm next to nothing. There is the Rosary. There are other prayers; the Psalms would obviously be appropriate. People can pray while cooking dinner or changing the baby's diaper. God isn't offended. Prayer is so powerful.
Quote:
The second thing is that I am skeptical of hay fires that burn really fast, they do not provide heat to warm up a room in winter time. Unless we are constant and we teach the younger generations how to build a proper fire we will end up freezing in hell. Make sure that we truly are saintly role models and things will work out. To answer to the original question "Am I over-reacting, or have we been that passive in the face of evil?" my answer would be "You are being emotional but you are not over-reacting, we are too passive".
Ah. I agree. Most of us are too passive and most of us certainly do not give a good example to the young. Perhaps it will take something like this to drag us out of our complacency and teach us how to be good role models. We are all members of the Church Militant; we are supposed to fight to defend the Church.

So let's do it. Whatever one can do, do it. Pray, vote, go to rallies & demonstrations, speak to people about it as Christians should speak, and be good role models for the young. They are the future soldiers.
He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

Old Jun 10, '12, 3:22 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Not the greatest turnout. We had 550-600 people at the rally in Lincoln, Nebraska whose list of speakers included the bishop.

I still do not think that people realize the consequences of this mandate if it is not repealed or severely amended before this time next year. Multiple bishops have said they will CLOSE Catholic schools, hospitals, nursing homes, and social services before they will co-operate in the murder of unborn children. I think that a lot of people are hopeful that the Supreme Court will overturn ObamaCare - and I hope they are right. But if they do not, or they only overturn part of it, then the clock is definitely ticking. Pray.
Old Jun 10, '12, 6:36 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Not the greatest turnout. We had 550-600 people at the rally in Lincoln, Nebraska whose list of speakers included the bishop.

I still do not think that people realize the consequences of this mandate if it is not repealed or severely amended before this time next year. Multiple bishops have said they will CLOSE Catholic schools, hospitals, nursing homes, and social services before they will co-operate in the murder of unborn children. I think that a lot of people are hopeful that the Supreme Court will overturn ObamaCare - and I hope they are right. But if they do not, or they only overturn part of it, then the clock is definitely ticking. Pray.
I hop they will not close the schools, hospitals and social services.

I hope that they will simply continue to do what they have always done. Offer services in accord with Catholic teaching, refuse to comply with the mandate, and refuse to pay any fines. If the government wants to send the Army to close them down, that's the government's doing. But they should not comply, and not pay fines, and not close.
Old Jun 11, '12, 4:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
I hop they will not close the schools, hospitals and social services.

I hope that they will simply continue to do what they have always done. Offer services in accord with Catholic teaching, refuse to comply with the mandate, and refuse to pay any fines. If the government wants to send the Army to close them down, that's the government's doing. But they should not comply, and not pay fines, and not close.
While I like the idea of drawing a line in the sand. AND I'll do everything in my power to support the Bishops if they choose defiance. Opposing the government, can have dire consequences. Maybe, if people see hospitals and other Catholic works Closing up shop.....

Interesting times, to say the least.
Old Jun 11, '12, 5:23 am

Quote:
"Ride out and meet them in battle" is a quote from Lord of the Rings. It captures my thoughts today after our priest explained why he did not do more promotion for the Stand up for Religious Freedom rally this coming Friday when I asked him about it after Mass. It only recieved two lines worth of mention in the bulletin, while the diocese sent out a pdf flyer with a list of speakers (including our Bishop), parking arrangements, along with a sample bulletin announcement which was much more detailed. Nor did he mention it in the announcements. He said that he would not get too excited about it until after the late June Supreme Court decision.
I felt like I was in that scene of Lord of the Rings where the king saw the enemy coming for miles and miles, but was to scared to ride out and fight. The enemy has been approaching for more than just the last four years, but he has certainly picked up the pace since that time. Am I over-reacting, or have we been that passive in the face of evil?

“Modern man has become passive in the face of evil. He has so long preached a doctrine of false tolerance; has so long believed that right and wrong were only differences in a point of view, that now when evil works itself out in practice he is paralyzed to do anything against it (Sheen).”
Old Jun 11, '12, 7:41 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Finn View Post
While I like the idea of drawing a line in the sand. AND I'll do everything in my power to support the Bishops if they choose defiance. Opposing the government, can have dire consequences. Maybe, if people see hospitals and other Catholic works Closing up shop.....

Interesting times, to say the least.
It is true that opposing the government can have dire consequences. Francis Cardinal George, after Illinois approved gay civil unions, said this:

"I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison, and his successor will die a martyr in the public square".

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice