Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 22, '12, 4:27 pm

Religion: Catholic (since Easter Vigil 2013)
Default Sautrday night Mass?

Hi i am in the process of convverting and am attending mass every week i usually go on sunday unless i have something to do on sunday with my protestant famiily such as mothers day and fathers day then i will go to the saturday night mass which is exactly the same. I prefer sunday because my parish uses incense on sunday at 12 noon mass however my parents have become intersted in getting back into there protestant faith and i am worried i am going to be relgated to attending saturday night mass only am i being selfish for prefering to worship on sunday and what should i do ??
Old Jun 22, '12, 5:11 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Sautrday night Mass?

Everyone has preferences. There isn't anything wrong with wanting to attend a specific Mass.

But, if it isn't possible or causes family discord then by all means attend the Saturday Mass.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jun 22, '12, 7:21 pm

Religion: Catholic (since Easter Vigil 2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
Everyone has preferences. There isn't anything wrong with wanting to attend a specific Mass.

But, if it isn't possible or causes family discord then by all means attend the Saturday Mass.
Thanks i am going to attend saturday night except on weeks when i have to work saturday then i decided to attend the "life teen" mass it is something i have never experinced so next sunday july 1 will be my first " life teen " mass .

Thanks for you answer and God Bless
Old Jun 22, '12, 9:27 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via ICQ to bmullins Send a message via Yahoo to bmullins

Just remember that liturgically Saturday night mass and Sunday morning mass are both the same one.
Old Jun 24, '12, 12:19 pm

Religion: Catholic

The Saturday vigil Mass and the Sunday Mass are liturgically the same, and generally have the same readings. Different dioceses have different rules as to when Saturday vigil Mass is celebrated, and it's usually after 4 PM.

I attended Saturday night Mass for years when I was performing in New York City. St. Malachy's has an 11 PM Mass, the church is in the theater district, and has been colloquially referred to as "The Actors' Chapel." Quite a few Catholics in the entertainment business go to Mass there after performances, and quite a few Catholic theater-goers attend as well. You can tell the performers from the audience people in the pews: The theater-goers are dressed elegantly. Most of the performers are casually dressed and have bits of stage makeup still on their skin. It worked out very well for me schedule-wise: I had to be at company class from my old ballet company at 8 AM on Sunday mornings, whether or not there had been a performance the previous night. Most of the ballets finished at around ten pm. That gave me enough time for curtain calls, getting out of costume and most of the makeup, into street clothes, and a dash from Lincoln Center to the church in time for a few minutes of prayer before Mass. The Catholic performers who went week after week turned themselves into a kind of quasi-parish, since we started to recognize each other there. Matter of fact, a lot of us ended up joining that parish.

Go to their website, and you will see the names of many stars of the past who served Mass there, or were married or buried from there.

It really was pretty cool.

"Lord, spare us from sour-faced saints!"---St. Teresa of Avila

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments