Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Catholic anime fans

Catholic anime fans Click here to visit this social group

Old Dec 15, '09, 4:49 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic Christian Papist =)
Default Favorite anime!

Okay, so I want to start a little conversation. What is a favorite anime of everybody in this group? ( I know, I know, basic starter question.)
Old Feb 1, '10, 1:50 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Favorite anime!

Oh! 8D *holds up list... which then rolls all over the floor*

Um... on second thought, can you give me some time to organize? >_>;;

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Mar 17, '10, 7:49 pm

hmm... I guess it would be Bleach right now, though I don't know if I should use an anime that's still airing. Oh well. Yu Yu Hakusho and Dragon Ball are also favorites of mine, but I've kind of watched those to death by now so they aren't as fresh to me.
Old May 3, '10, 11:55 pm

One of my favorites is Full Metal Alchemist. I wish the anime were based on the manga though...the manga is so much more involved!!!
Old Jun 15, '10, 2:34 am

Religion: catholic

I was into bleach but the fillers are getting frustrating.
law of Ueki and One piece are my current addiction.
Old Jul 2, '10, 11:33 am

Religion: Budding Catholic

Wow. I didn't know that there were so many Catholics who enjoy anime. I know, considering that this is small group and all... but please don't think I'm complaining!

I actually enjoy Tenchi Muyo, Ranma, Inuyasha... to name a few. Though I do not have a list that would roll on the floor! lol!

This is great! Thanks for creating this forum and thread!

May we always remember to thank God for the morning sun which lets us know we have been blessed with another day. May we remember to thank Him as well for the moon which reminds us that we have survived another day.

P.S. - is there one for video games too, or is that pushing the envelope?
Old Aug 22, '10, 3:04 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Anti-marxist

Yuu Yuu Hakusho. There's so much a Catholic can mine from that show, it never gets old (just watched one of the all-time great battles in anime last night, Yuusuke v. Toguro).

Rurouni Kenshin, the first two seasons of Sailor Moon, the ORIGINAL FMA with all its Catholic content intact, Hikaru no Go, Inu Yasha.
Old Nov 25, '10, 3:09 pm

That's a loaded question. XD

I have a lot of animes that I'm into, to the point of actually owning WAY too many cosplays, items from conventions, doujinshis, etc, from all of them. My bed is a scary fangirl 'shrine' to various animes, including anime sheets, gashapons, jewelry, plushies, pillows, keychains, etc. My walls have pretty much become a giant tackboard for posters from anime conventions, those super awesome ones you can get that are in plastic, shitajiki, fanart, scribblings, roleplays, and all that.

And so, you can't even pick out a dominant anime in all of the mess in there, although there are signs as to whatever I've been more into lately and what has always remained a solid fandom for me.

Having said that, I really love Evangelion, and I love my signed mecha of Unit 01 - Signed by Spike Spencer, English voice actor of Shinji - because it's an anime that has always had something new for me to like in every viewing. There's just so much in that series going on symbolism-wise, and so many differences from the manga - Especially when you get to the portrayal of Kaoru Nagisa, final Angel - that I can't help always keeping it on my all times favorite list.

Koko No Wa Greenwood was one that I also loved for a long time because it was one of the first serious fandoms I got into.

Recently, I've cosplayed Death Note and Naruto at conventions, but out of the two? Death Note. I recently started analyzing the show as seen through the eyes of a psychologist and the Church, given it's (specifically Catholic) religious imageries, and I discovered there was MUCH more to the show then I had processed the first 100x through, and especially more to some characters who are often misunderstood by fans - Mello, in particular, who among fandom, is usually paired up mistakenly with Matt, another male, despite wearing the Rosary during the time of their last stand against Kira, a false God.

I haven't seen FMA in forever, but it was a very cute and intriguing story. All of the Gundam series have had their various places on my wall.

I was once so obsessed with the show Yu-Gi-Oh that I have a (pretty visible) tattoo from the series that I have to hide during Mass due to the fact that it could be seen inappropriately, since the fanart used for it... was probably not the greatest thing to tattoo on my body, especially where it could be seen. And I'm still so into that series that I can't walk by something with an image from the series without shrieking and then jumping up and down, say in this stupid voice "Be like Seto!" (Don't even ask, it's such a stupid thing that became tradition with my friends that I've given up doing anything but blushing once a new person hears it.)

Um, so I guess Eva, Ygo, and Dn are at the top of the list right now. As a matter of fact, I'm going to get a more devout image than the one from YGO that was on my neck, this time a fanart of Mello and his rosary, on my arm, so that I can remember why I identify with the character and attend to my prayers. ^^;

That was a stupidly long answer, but... eh... I'm new around this site.
Old Nov 27, '10, 6:24 am
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard! I've decided my next series is going to be Prince of Tennis.

Got a preview DVD and it looked interesting.
Old Nov 27, '10, 7:01 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
I have a lot of animes that I'm into, to the point of actually owning WAY too many cosplays, items from conventions, doujinshis, etc, from all of them. My bed is a scary fangirl 'shrine' to various animes, including anime sheets, gashapons, jewelry, plushies, pillows, keychains, etc. My walls have pretty much become a giant tackboard for posters from anime conventions, those super awesome ones you can get that are in plastic, shitajiki, fanart, scribblings, roleplays, and all that.
HRNGGGH!!!! *tries (and fails) to hold back manly tears* TT_TT

With the exception of the fan girl part... why can't my room be like yours!?!?! DX

Forgive me. I've only got a few pieces of authentic anime merchandise. So far the only legit things I got are some chibi-figurines of Navel (a visual novel company), a gashapon figurine of Suzumiya Haruhi, another figurine of some girl from Sgt. Keroro (don't know her name since I don't read the series much but her hair's a black ponytail), a bunny girl figurine of Izumi Sawatari from He is My Master (don't ask me how I got it T_T), and finally a still unopened, Master Grade model of the Destiny Gundam.

With the exception of my Gundam (which was truly a blessing in of itself seeing as I won it a raffle during an event. TwT), you can see that I'm more of a figurine person.

However, before you all assume the worst, kindly note that it's not my fault that there is a shortage of guy figurines on the market! D:

Personally, I would just love to possess figurines of my male anime idols such as Cloud Strife (FFVII), Squall Leonheart (FFVIII), Archer (Fate/Stay Night), and maybe even Gaara from Naruto.

And don't even get me started on how I also would love to get a hold of monster figurines such as the Red-Eyes Black Dragon from Yu-Gi-Oh! (I consider Red-Eyes to be my signature cards since I'm a dragon user X3) or one of the big beasties from the Monster Hunter franchise. *w*

Sadly, I'm not exactly the most financially blessed otaku there is out there so I guess I should just be happy with my humble collection. TwT

New blog

Our magic is not absolute. True magic results from courage of the heart.
- Negi Springfield (Mahou Sensei Negima)
Old Nov 27, '10, 7:17 am
Veteran Member

I have a pet Hiei.... but you knew that.

Also a YYH pencil case, and some knock-off figurines from CCS and YGO.

These thngs are not easy to find unless you go to a con or live near a decent comics shop.

I guess the innerwebs is one place to look, but for older series like YGO and YYH, you'd be looking for used or NIB merchandise.
Old Nov 28, '10, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Wanderer View Post
HRNGGGH!!!! *tries (and fails) to hold back manly tears* TT_TT

With the exception of the fan girl part... why can't my room be like yours!?!?! DX
D'awww. D=

Well, a lot of stuff I drew things for people in exchange for it, or got as gifts, or got really lucky and got it dirt cheap at a con.

I don't know many Catholics around here that are into anime, though, so if any members want a drawing, they can note me and I'll make something for them. I love working as an artist and wouldn't mind doing it - I give out gift art on my website all the time. ^^

And sometimes I'm selling some of my stuff for dirt cheap, too, like I just sold a dvd box set and a doujinshi for much lower than retail.
Old Nov 28, '10, 11:01 am
Veteran Member

Why not post some of your pics here so we can see them?
Old Nov 28, '10, 12:26 pm

Sure, I'd love to share my art (or you can go to my website) - how do I post pics here? Do I just insert them with html code like I would on my website?

Apparently using embed doesn't work for posting pics. D=

Testing this again:

Edit: I'm using the IMG tags above and it isn't showing...
Old Nov 28, '10, 12:40 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Sure, I'd love to share my art (or you can go to my website) - how do I post pics here? Do I just insert them with html code like I would on my website?

Apparently using embed doesn't work for posting pics. D=

Testing this again:

Edit: I'm using the IMG tags above and it isn't showing...
Masaka! The dread red 'x'.

I can see the code when I hit the Quote reply button---it appears correct.

Maybe just post a link to your web site? And hope that works....

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Catholic anime fans