Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 7, '12, 9:48 am

Religion: Spoony Roman Catholic
Default Re: Catholic elements in film, "Snow White and the Huntsman?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise1957 View Post
I missed the the reference to St. Joan of Arc in the film, but I did think of Snow White's character as seeming like St. Joan of Arc when I watched the film, at least toward the end when she led them into battle.
A lot of people (not excluding homosexualists) identify with St. Joan of Arc but don't see the reference to her in the film. Then again, the reference seems more of a coincidence.
Old Jun 7, '12, 1:40 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise1957 View Post
I'm going to try to find the original story of Snow White as written by the Grimm brothers. I don't know if the brothers were Catholic or Lutheran, buti it would be interesting to see if there are any Catholic elements in the original story.
It doesn't matter whether the Grimm brothers were Catholics or Lutherans since they did not create the story, Snow White and the Seven dwarfs is a story created and shaped by generations of storytellers who might have had different religious beliefs. Of course the Grimm Brothers might have added or taken away something from the story or mixed different versions of it, but I don't know anything about that so it would only be speculations if I said anything about it.
Old Jun 7, '12, 3:54 pm

Religion: Eastern Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
T

In other words it is not accurate at all as the originals of these stories tend to be (like much real folklore and myth) quite brutal at points. It's a good thing Disney never got round to adapting any of my country's folklore or myth as the resultant sugary mess would have been an absolute travesty. Mind you it managed that quite well enough with things like Tarzan.

I would recommend you watching the movie Snow White: An Tale Of Terror (1997), a cable-tv movie with the great Sigourney Weaver as the Queen.

MUCH more accurate than the Disney version.

Yes, the Grimms were VERY grim. In the original Cinderella tale they collected from the oral tradition, birds peck out the eyes of the wicked stepsisters.

In their version of Rapunzel, the witch blinds both Rapunzel and the Prince and leaves them out to fend for themselves in the wilderness.

Among many other instances. There's peasant morality for ya. LOL.

OTOH--------Snow White was never a warrior princess like she is in the movie.

Unfortunate, in my view. A clear attempt to "Lord Of The Rings"-ize her and the story.

Plus, there's sort of a love triangle in the movie between her, the huntsman, and the prince. Attemmpt to capitalize on Twilight, anyone?

Good thread.
Old Jun 7, '12, 4:48 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdinaryMelkite View Post
Yes, the Grimms were VERY grim. In the original Cinderella tale they collected from the oral tradition, birds peck out the eyes of the wicked stepsisters.
Although Disney's version was closely based on the Perrault Version of the story, which had the happy ending.
Old Jun 8, '12, 11:17 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

Quote:

I would recommend you watching the movie Snow White: An Tale Of Terror (1997), a cable-tv movie with the great Sigourney Weaver as the Queen.

In their version of Rapunzel, the witch blinds both Rapunzel and the Prince and leaves them out to fend for themselves in the wilderness.

Unfortunate, in my view. A clear attempt to "Lord Of The Rings"-ize her and the story.

Plus, there's sort of a love triangle in the movie between her, the huntsman, and the prince. Attemmpt to capitalize on Twilight, anyone?

Good thread.
I've watched that version of "Snow White" that you mentioned but I don't remember it.

Yes, I do take it the Grimm's Fairy Tales are very grim. I always enjoyed the story of "Hansel and Gretel" but at the same time it creeped me out -- Cannibalism and Killer children?

"The Little Mermaid" actually commited suicide in the original version by Hans Christian Anderson.
"I thirst, I thirst for Jesus alone! Happy the souls who suffer in secret, known to God alone! How I love a soul suffering with patience, hidden with God alone! Once you have given God something, you must never take it back." ~ Blessed Maryam Bawārdī
Old Jun 9, '12, 8:38 pm

Quote:
They also cut off their heel and toe respectively to try and fit the glass slipper. In a version I have, they're riding along in a carriage and the birds sing:

"There they go! There they go!
There's blood on the shoe! The shoe is too small!
Not the right bride for you at all!"

There's also a version of Sleeping Beauty where the prince rapes the princess, she wakes up when one of the babies sucks the splinter out of her thumb.

Another version of Little Red Riding Hood (can't remember if it's German or Italian), has a part where our heroine cannibalizes her grandmother. (Yes, seriously.)

Quote:

I wouldn't say it was so much peasant morality as it was "peasants are bored so they tell stories about the harsh realities of peasant life" because niceties were for nobles. It's hard to care about etiquette when you're worried about where your next meal is coming from.

Quote:
*shrugs* Twilight didn't invent the love triangle, and technically, William isn't a prince, he's the duke's son.
Old Jun 9, '12, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Quote:

Good thread.
I can definitely see it been an attempt to make the story Tolkien lite. However the hilarious thing is of course that in the books Arwen is offstage for 99 percent of the text and although Eowyn is a warrior and a shield maiden Tolkien makes it plain he thinks that is out of frustration and not where her real role lies. Although getting into Tolkien's views on women would be a whole thread of it's own and he's often been accussed unfairly of regarding women as purely passive,

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media