Go Back   Catholic Answers Groups > Group Forums > Alchoholics Anonymous

Alchoholics Anonymous Click here to visit this social group

Old Oct 3, '11, 9:00 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Welcome to the Alchoholics anonymous group

Well here is what the book of Alcoholics Anonymous, Chapter 3 pp. 30 - 32 say's
"We alcoholics are men and women who have lost the ability to control our drinking. We know that no real alcoholic ever recovers control. All of us felt at times that we were regaining control, but such intervals—usually brief—were inevitably followed by still less control, which led in time to pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization. We are convinced to a man that alcoholics of our type are in the grip of a progressive illness. Over any considerable period we get worse, never better."

For me, I have lost all discipline and free will to my disease.

God bless

jesus g
Old Oct 3, '11, 9:48 pm

@ I Shot JFK...
With all due respect my friend...we as members of AA know all too well that any type of controlled drinking will only lead to a relapse of epic proportion. It really isnt a matter of discipline. Addiction is a brain disease not a defect in character or a sign of a weakness. Scientific research has confirmed what AA has known all these years and that is there is no converting an Alcoholic back into a social drinker. Also, if one is Loving something as drinking then he may want to reconsider where that passion is coming from.
Your comments on moderation are indeed good...they just dont apply to alcoholism
We do appreciate your thoughts and comments so we hope you will continue to visit our humble thread...Godspeed.............LukeSr
Old Oct 5, '11, 6:54 am
Observing Member

Religion: catholic
Smile Re: Welcome to the Alchoholics anonymous group

hello my name is kelly and I am a thankful recovering alcoholic..

This is my one year and four month anniversary and I am on vacation in South Haven Michigan. Who would thought I would search down local AA meetings and Catholic Churchs on vacation. "In the day" it was where is the best happy hour?

I have some questions and would like to chat but when I click HERE to visit this social group it won't allow me

Peace,

Kel
Old Oct 5, '11, 12:42 pm

Hello Kelly, Welcome to CAF and our little Alcoholics Anonymous group. Congratulations on your one year and four months. And it only keeps getting better. Good to hear that your looking for AA mtgs on vacation. Ask your questions and maybe LukeSr or myself can answer. Stay close to God and AA.

God bless

jesus g
Old Oct 13, '11, 10:05 am

Hello Everyone, I was so grateful to have come acrosd this group a place to freely be Catholic and a alcholic/addict in sobriety! Thank you for creating this:0) I'm presently in an 8th step never having been this far along before, I had .been a dry / abstanant person for almost 14yrs then lapsed having no real relationship with our Lord or any of the Sacraments except being baptsed Catholic. through His, Grace I returned to recovery now and to our church but most importantly to God as I understood Him in my youth as He always intended it to be I'm ever Gratefull that with three plus yrs He places His eople in my life ....so thats alittle bit about me Thanx again
Old Oct 13, '11, 4:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie mary View Post
Hello Everyone, I was so grateful to have come acrosd this group a place to freely be Catholic and a alcholic/addict in sobriety! Thank you for creating this:0) I'm presently in an 8th step never having been this far along before, I had .been a dry / abstanant person for almost 14yrs then lapsed having no real relationship with our Lord or any of the Sacraments except being baptsed Catholic. through His, Grace I returned to recovery now and to our church but most importantly to God as I understood Him in my youth as He always intended it to be I'm ever Gratefull that with three plus yrs He places His eople in my life ....so thats alittle bit about me Thanx again

A big welcome to CAF and this group Stephanie.
For me the best part of my recovery is that the 12 step program made me a far better Catholic then before. I have a better attitude towards life and God, and for that I am very gratefull. Ops I forgot to say "hello, I'm Jesus and I am an alcoholic and an addict. lol

God bless

jesus g

Last edited by jesuspsr; Oct 13, '11 at 4:38 pm. Reason: edit
Old Oct 17, '11, 8:08 pm

Thanx Jesus!
I appreciate the warm welcome, glad to be here and hope there will be new threads of discussion with fellow members joining in.
Old Oct 17, '11, 10:30 pm

Hi Stephanie Mary....welcome to our humble thread. I'm LukeSr and have a similar story to yours. I also lasped from the faith and my sobriety of 9 years but came back to both after being out a long 10 years and coming up on my second year. Our Catholic church is really amazing. The Sacraments are where it's at...Our God is so good....I'm stayin this time. We've had some really good discussions here.
I lead a Substance Addictions Ministry at my parish and jesus is an addictions counselor. Glad you joined and hope to hear from you soon...
Godspeed...........LukeSr
Old Dec 25, '11, 3:00 am

Hello Everyone...wow its been a long time...I just wanted to say I hope everynoe has a very very Merry Merry Christmas...I just applied to two colleges for thier bachelors progarm, online of course,,,wel, I hope to hear fromyou all,,,

Godspeed....LukeSr
Old Dec 25, '11, 4:08 am
Prayer Warrior

A very Merry Christmas to you too Luke and all members of this group. And good luck with your studies!
Old Dec 25, '11, 5:55 am

And a very Merry Cristmas to the both of you, and all in our group.
Be safe and God bless.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Group Forums > Alchoholics Anonymous