Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 15, '12, 2:01 pm

Default Act of contrition?

Still need to go to confession and hope to do so soon. Please pray for me; that was not why I started this though, I have a question. I looked up how to make a clean confession and it said the most important part was saying the act of contrition afterward. I'm worried, indie not do this at my last confession (which was my first outside of preparation for communion several years later. It's a long story). Is this a sin? I hadn't even heard of this prayer before the website; and just prayed the prayrs he priest gave me. So I looked it up and it seems a long prayer - and I have trouble commuting things to memory (it took me two weeks to memorize the apostles creed) if i write it down and keep it with me can in I pray (alternating getween looking at the papper and also closing my eyes and bowing my head) this way? Thanks
Old Jun 15, '12, 2:05 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Act of contrition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblelove13 View Post
Still need to go to confession and hope to do so soon. Please pray for me; that was not why I started this though, I have a question. I looked up how to make a clean confession and it said the most important part was saying the act of contrition afterward. I'm worried, indie not do this at my last confession (which was my first outside of preparation for communion several years later. It's a long story). Is this a sin? I hadn't even heard of this prayer before the website; and just prayed the prayrs he priest gave me. So I looked it up and it seems a long prayer - and I have trouble commuting things to memory (it took me two weeks to memorize the apostles creed) if i write it down and keep it with me can in I pray (alternating getween looking at the papper and also closing my eyes and bowing my head) this way? Thanks
There are various Acts of Contrition, some shorter, some longer. Yes, you can use a prayer aid. I always take little books of prayers with me to confession and adoration. After I read the prayer, I just tell Jesus how sorry I am and ask him to cleanse my heart and soul and make me more like Him. It's all good.
Old Jun 15, '12, 2:05 pm

Religion: Catholic

There are many forms of the Act of Contrition. Sometimes it is printed in the confessional on a sheet of paper, sometimes I take a copy of one with me, sometimes I've just used, "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner."

If you are ever unsure about confession, just ask the priest with whom you are confessing: he will help you.
Old Jun 15, '12, 3:04 pm

I simply read from Psalm 51...no body is better at being contrite than David, because he was so good at sinning!
Old Jun 15, '12, 3:10 pm

Thank you everyone, I apologize for my spelling. I am using my iPod at the moment and am missing the buttons. I think I will print out a prayer and carry it with me. At my next confession I will ask the priest if it's ok.
Old Jun 15, '12, 3:18 pm

Some priests don't ask for an act of contrition, especially if it seems obvious to them that you are contrite. This doesn't invalidate the absolution.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weakness, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Old Jun 15, '12, 4:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelred Minor View Post
Some priests don't ask for an act of contrition, especially if it seems obvious to them that you are contrite. This doesn't invalidate the absolution.
My confessors NEVER ask me to say it in the confessional. I just say it outside as I say my penance.
Old Jun 15, '12, 4:49 pm

I have been in confessionals that have an Act of Contrition on the wall inside the confessional, I am not sure if this is necessarily a good sign or not I know I get all flustered when I go into the confessional so it was nice to have it right in front of my eyes so I am hoping that is why it is there and not because people don't know an Act of Contrition.
Old Jun 17, '12, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelred Minor View Post
So it's ok then that I didnt say it at my last confession? Or do I need a redo? Thanks for all the help
Old Jun 17, '12, 12:17 pm

Religion: Orthodox

If you confess your sins and the priest pronounces the words of absolution, then rest assured: your sins are forgiven.

Question on the same topic for anyone who might know: is the Confiteor generally considered acceptable as an Act of Contrition?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality