Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 25, '12, 8:03 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Is it bad that I can't explain the Faith

I was recently ask to explain the Catholic Faith by a fellow Catholic as part of a friendly discussion. I found it extremely difficult, not because I don't know how, but because thee are just so many aspects and ways to explain it that I just can't explain it all easily. Also, being a very visual person, sometimes I have a difficult time putting my thoughts into words. So is it bad that I can't explain it? Also does anyone have any good ways of explaining the Faith?
Old Jun 25, '12, 10:15 pm

Default Re: Is it bad that I can't explain the Faith

I think the commandment to love God with our whole heart and to love our neighbour's by extension would be how I would explain the faith to someone if they asked me this question out of the blue.

I don't think you should be too hard on yourself... It sounds like you were simply having "writer's block" or were just unprepared to answer a question that's really vague in nature.

I think it's important that you understand the Chruch's stance on various moral issues. For example, if somebody asks why the Church opposes contraception, I think that we have a duty as Catholics to provide a better answer then just to say that "it's against the rules". As long as you can explain why the Church teaches what it teaches, and work to defend the faith at every corner, then I think you're heading in the right direction!
Old Jun 25, '12, 10:36 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic: Revert
Smile Re: Is it bad that I can't explain the Faith

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger my friend. Few of us started off able to explain and defend what we believe. It takes time, prayer, and study.

Here are some of the best resources I have found. By all means make use of them.
Bible Christian Society The free MP3 downloads are invaluable and can be passed on to others very easily.
Catholic Home Study Service GREAT courses here!
San Juan Catholic Seminars Excellent studies at a very economical price.
A Biblical Walk Through the Mass This book will blow you away! Terrific!

Catholic Answers has a metric boatload of fine sources available.

Hang in there and keep on keeping on!

Old Jun 25, '12, 10:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnorris707 View Post
I was recently ask to explain the Catholic Faith by a fellow Catholic as part of a friendly discussion. I found it extremely difficult, not because I don't know how, but because thee are just so many aspects and ways to explain it that I just can't explain it all easily. Also, being a very visual person, sometimes I have a difficult time putting my thoughts into words. So is it bad that I can't explain it? Also does anyone have any good ways of explaining the Faith?
Yes, it is a bad thing to not be able to explain your faith. Thus Scripture states: "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect" 1 Peter 3:15 Catholics have the treasure of the faith and have a responsibility with those who are hungry and starving for the Truth of Christ. But the reason why there are millions of people who leave the Catholic faith is that they never knew their faith in the first place, which is a great tragedy, being that Catholics are given all the gifts and tools to attain holiness in this life and to bring great light into the world. Thus when some zealous non-Catholic, or anti-Catholic come along attacking the Church, many Catholics are stumped and persuaded. For example, Jehova's Witnesses specifically train to proselytize Catholics as they see them as easy recruits; thus it is no wonder that a great many of Jehova Witnesses are former Catholics. FYI, J.W. teach that Jesus is not God Incarnate, and that that the Catholic Church is a Satanic institution. and use their own translation of the Bible to twist the Scriptures.

If you like to read; then look at it as food for thought: Your meat and potatoes are the Sacred Scriptures and the teachings of the Church. Your vegetables are the writings of the saints. Your desert are the writings of approved private revelation. Anything else is bubblegum and candy. You don't want to have a steady diet of candy, or of desert. Focus on the basics.

Here is a video you may find interesting.
Old Jun 25, '12, 11:05 pm

It sounds like maybe you are just having trouble knowing where to begin. Is this so? If it is, I wouldn't worry too much. When in a situation in which you are sharing your faith in an authentic encounter with a non-catholic, even if you could spout off the entire Catechism in one spiel, this wouldn't likely be very helpful to the listener. You might start by asking questions to find out what the other person believes or where they are spiritually. This can give you a jumping off point, so to speak. Allow the encounter to be conversational rather than confrontational (as much as is up to you). As long as you know what you believe and why you should be fine.
Old Jun 25, '12, 11:25 pm

Get a copy of the DVD "Catholicism" by Father Robert Barron and watch it over and over again.
There are 10 episodes and it may take a year to take all of it in, fully.
But then, in a years time, you will be able to explain the faith. And that will be a wonderful day for you.

Old Jun 26, '12, 3:31 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Arrow Re: Is it bad that I can't explain the Faith

Quote:
Well, start to draw it out. That's how I improved on explaining the faith, God works in mysterious ways, and he used this to bring me closer to him. I'm much better at drawing with my hand though, rather than any digital graphic arts.
Old Jun 26, '12, 3:49 pm

Religion: catholic

To all the previece posts.

But, some of us, because of our backround, are not very good at explaning anything at the best of times. There are times that I have had to pry both of my feet out of my mouth about half way through a explanation. At that point, I'm yelling on the inside something along the lines of 'God! Halp! I'm in trouble again!'
Old Jun 26, '12, 5:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun12 View Post
I think the commandment to love God with our whole heart and to love our neighbour's by extension would be how I would explain the faith to someone if they asked me this question out of the blue.
I agree with this. The Church's message is that God is love ; love is foundational to this universe in some basic respect and God desires us to love as He does-for our own integrity, peace, and happiness. From there the Church's role is to help us accomplish that very thing.

"It is love alone that gives worth to all things." - St. Teresa of Avila
Old Jun 26, '12, 7:09 pm

Quote:
Is it bad in the sense that you are somehow sinning by failing to explain the Faith? No, of course not. Everyone is at different places at different times on their path and no particular place is wrong, per se.

Now, having said that, it is wrong to be complacent about where you are on your path. We should be spending our lives asymptotically approaching perfection. So once you figure out where you are on your path and identify a weakness (in your case, articulating your faith), you should work on it. Some of the other posters have given you some great resources.
Old Jun 26, '12, 10:51 pm
Prayer Warrior

Thanks for all the great replies! Just to clarify a bit, I could defend the Faith if someone asked a specific question, but I just have trouble explaining it as a whole. One again thanks for answering!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics