Catholic FAQ

Help support Catholic Answers!

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Feb 26, '12, 8:47 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Eucharist - In the hand vs. On the tongue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExGratia View Post
Mea culpa.
It's ok.

Viva il Papa! Long live Pope Francis!
Old Feb 26, '12, 9:13 am

Religion: Catholic

Do not like to show my ageI received on the tongue growing up it was the only way, we had a rail and we kneeled to receive. Now I realize you have a choice, but I still receive on the tongue out of habit/revereance, and personaly would like to see the kneel rail come back, whats the hurry we are receiving the greatest gift in creation.
Old Feb 26, '12, 2:19 pm

If you read St. Faustina's Divine Mercy in my Soul, Our Lord tells Saint Faustyna "I wish to rest in your hands as well as your heart." Therefore, I see very little wrong with receiving the Eucharist in your hand. I think it's a matter of personal preference.
Old Feb 26, '12, 8:38 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BListon View Post
I don't know, but OUR church takes communion in the hand, and we haven't been struck down yet. I think God is more pleased by the fact that we DO partake of his body and blood than he is worried about in what manner we partake of it.
I worked as a contractor for many large and medium sized companies for many years. What I noticed in the restrooms was that at least 50 percent of the men did not wash their hands, and I do not exagerate. It was alarming to me. Now think about all those receiving in the hand.

Here is a comment from Mother Angelica, EWTN.
"Very few children I have met have ever been taught that He is really, truly, present in the Holy Eucharist. ... We find Hosts in missalets, we find Hosts under pews under chewing gum... I have seen a 9 year-old girl go to Communion and pop one like an M&M. I have seen people put it into their sleeves, put it in their pockets, and leave it on the pew."

To my knowledge the Eastern Catholic churches and the Eastern Orthodox churches have never put the Eucharist in the hand and neither have we until the 1960's. And it is my understanding that it was not due to the Council, but rather to someone's recommendation given in a confusing environment at that time.

It is also been known that the Eucharist is sold or is given to satanists for their rituals.
And placing the Holy Eucharist in the hand makes this easy.

Just a very few important thoughts in giving special reverence to our Eucharist Lord.
Old Feb 27, '12, 1:54 am

[quote=fred conty;9009219

Here is a comment from Mother Angelica, EWTN.
"Very few children I have met have ever been taught that He is really, truly, present in the Holy Eucharist. ... We find Hosts in missalets, we find Hosts under pews under chewing gum... I have seen a 9 year-old girl go to Communion and pop one like an M&M. I have seen people put it into their sleeves, put it in their pockets, and leave it on the pew."
.[/QUOTE]

Well, I have to say, we have never experienced anything like this in our parish. Our children must be better catechised.

But my main reason for posting was to ask, what does Mother Angelica mean exactly by the sentence 'I have seen a 9 year-old girl go to Communion and pop one like an M&M' ?

Does she mean that the girl put it in her mouth rapidly (which children often do, out of embarrassment) or something else?
Old Feb 27, '12, 9:30 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwight66 View Post
Well, I have to say, we have never experienced anything like this in our parish. Our children must be better catechised.

But my main reason for posting was to ask, what does Mother Angelica mean exactly by the sentence 'I have seen a 9 year-old girl go to Communion and pop one like an M&M' ?

Does she mean that the girl put it in her mouth rapidly (which children often do, out of embarrassment) or something else?
I think she probably means without any reverence, just like it means nothing to the girl.
Old Feb 28, '12, 1:08 pm
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
Your religion teacher is wrong. The norm for reception of Communion is on the tongue, but in the United States (and other countries) there is an indult to receive in the hand. Receive whichever way you feel comfortable.

I wish these "religion teachers" would keep their opinions to themselves and just tell their students to receive in one of the two ways. Both are valid, and she has no business saying "we don't do that anymore." That is hogwash.

And to note, I would be equally annoyed if her views were reversed and she said the same things about reception on the tongue.

To answer your question about the procedure, it is very simple. The minister says, "The Body of Christ" to which you reply, "Amen" just as though you were receiving in the hand. Then open your mouth wide with your tongue slightly out. Be sure to keep your hands clasped or behind your back so there is no confusion as to which way you want to receive. I have received on the tongue at every Mass since my reception into the Church in November, from Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, from priests, from Deacons, never had a problem with it. And I go to a parish where almost everyone receives in the hand.
You can never refuse to give communion on the tounge but you can and should refuse in the hand if all of the cautions set out by the magisterial documents concerning communion in the hand are not met.
Old Feb 28, '12, 1:11 pm
Trial Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp1215 View Post
I prefer to listen to my Bishops and the Holy See, who have granted permission for Communion in the hand, over your opinion. Did you happen to notice that the very first sentence on the link you provided states that Communion in the hand is approved by the Holy See for use in the United States? That's really all there is to it, and I will not engage you on it any further.
Have a nice day.
It has been approved as an indult by the Holy See and is not the norm. It has also been approved with many cautions attached which are totally ignored by the bishops and priest in the USA.
Old Feb 28, '12, 1:26 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (OFS)

On the tongue*, although I am beginning to reconsider. There are instructions for taking It on the hand that go back to St Ireneus (IIRC)

*only from a priest or deacon, otherwise on the hand.

Totus Tuus
SS Francesco,Chiara,Padre Pio,Max Kolbe,Louis IX,Zita e BB Lucchese e Buonadonna
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Feb 28, '12, 2:08 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!

Cardinal Ratzinger (as Pope Benedict XVI he has said similar)

"...we know that until the ninth century Communion was received in the hand, standing. That does not of course mean that it should always do so. For what is fine, sublime, about the Church is that she is growing, maturing, understanding the mystery more profoundly. In the that sense the new development that began after the ninth century is quite justified, as an expression of reverence, and is well founded. But, on the other hand, we have to say that the Church could not possibly have been celebrating the Eucharist unworthily for nine hundred years. If we read what the Fathers say, we can see in what a spirit of reverence they received Communion....

We should be concerned only to argue in favor of what the Church's efforts directed toward, both before and after the ninth century, that is a reverence in the heart, an inner submission before the mystery of God that puts himself into our hands...

Cardinal Ratzinger "God Is Near Us" Ignatius Press Pg 70 2001

And from: God and the World:

Communion in the hand, or directly in the mouth?

"I wouldn't want to be fussy about that. It was done in the early Church. A reverent manner of receiving Communion in the hand is in itself a perfectly reasonable way to receive Communion."
Old Feb 28, '12, 2:33 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic (OFS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookcat View Post
Cardinal Ratzinger (as Pope Benedict XVI he has said similar)

"...we know that until the ninth century Communion was received in the hand, standing. That does not of course mean that it should always do so. For what is fine, sublime, about the Church is that she is growing, maturing, understanding the mystery more profoundly. In the that sense the new development that began after the ninth century is quite justified, as an expression of reverence, and is well founded. But, on the other hand, we have to say that the Church could not possibly have been celebrating the Eucharist unworthily for nine hundred years. If we read what the Fathers say, we can see in what a spirit of reverence they received Communion....

We should be concerned only to argue in favor of what the Church's efforts directed toward, both before and after the ninth century, that is a reverence in the heart, an inner submission before the mystery of God that puts himself into our hands...

Cardinal Ratzinger "God Is Near Us" Ignatius Press Pg 70 2001

And from: God and the World:

Communion in the hand, or directly in the mouth?

"I wouldn't want to be fussy about that. It was done in the early Church. A reverent manner of receiving Communion in the hand is in itself a perfectly reasonable way to receive Communion."

Thank you! I think you may have just settled a long standing inner battle for me. I have always been a tad uncomfortable about receiving on the tongue during flu season.

Totus Tuus
SS Francesco,Chiara,Padre Pio,Max Kolbe,Louis IX,Zita e BB Lucchese e Buonadonna
Cacciatore/Fungaiolo
Old Feb 29, '12, 6:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Daniele View Post
Thank you! I think you may have just settled a long standing inner battle for me. I have always been a tad uncomfortable about receiving on the tongue during flu season.
Luigi, you might add to your considerations by reading the book by Bishop Schneider that I earlier mentioned, as well as the book Communion in the Hand, by Most Rev. Juan Rodolfo Laise.

"I am a daughter of the Church." St. Teresa of Jesus

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +

Magister adest et vocat te.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Spirituality