Catholic FAQ

Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 7, '12, 12:51 pm

Religion: Catholic of the Roman Rite
Default Re: Should I Join KofC?

To the original poster:

I had a great experience of the Knights in college. There's nothing like the stuff you described, so don't worry about it. I have no idea where you heard that.

My only issue came with joining a parish council upon graduating. I was looking for camaraderie, but most of the guys there were twice my age. It's also a pretty big commitment in terms of the service, so unless you're well-established in your career, have a set schedule, and are looking to take on something more, I don't recommend joining the Knights yet.

There's a lot of history. A lot of potential. A lot to be proud of when you become a Knight, but it really depends on where you are in life as to whether you should join or not.

And again, there's nothing to worry about when it comes to the ceremonies. The Knights are definitely the good guys.
Old Jun 7, '12, 1:52 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimentichisimai View Post
It's also a pretty big commitment in terms of the service, so unless you're well-established in your career, have a set schedule, and are looking to take on something more, I don't recommend joining the Knights yet.
dimentichisimai,

I understand what you're saying but I'd invite you to take another look at the time commitments. What I like to tell guys (and I believe this) is that you are free to jump in as deep as you'd like. For example, if you can only help at one or two events during the year then that's something. But if you'd like to take a larger role you can attend the business meetings or social gathers maybe volunteer to coordinate one of the events. It's really up to you and what you can do.

I'm a married father of 5 (11 years to 9 months) so between work and family there is always something to do...but time is what you make of it.

I'm sure this varies but many of the events my council puts on are after Mass, like the Tootsie Roll drive. All that's required is to stay a little bit late at the Mass you attended anyway.

M
Old Jun 7, '12, 3:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlldrl View Post
Thanks for the follow up.

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you are having in your life. Regarding dues, I know that in my council we have waived dues for a few men over these last few years with the economy the way it has been. But you must remember that these types of things are reviewed every year so it shouldn't surprise you to get a dues statement. If you need a waiver then you would need to ask again. That's just the way it works.

The desire to become a Knight of Columbus should go beyond a desire to have fun or to make business contacts. The desire to become a Knight of Columbus should be to become a better Catholic gentleman. We serve the Church, her members and the community at large. Having fun and making business contacts may come with this service and that's a great benefit to be sure but if that is a man's primary goal for joining I think he will be disappointed.

God Bless,
Michael
3rd Degree
I'm pleased to learn that your council has taken a step in the right direction of doing business the way the Knights are supposedly supposed to. It shouldn't surprise me to get a dues statement the following year, but what should happen the same year that I submit the application for relief from dues? Shouldn't I get some sort of notice that the application has been approved, especially if I specifically ask the Grand Knight, or if I ask other members to find out what's going on? Do I not get a membership card, at least for that year, to allow me to attend meetings? Should I be ignored? Should a request to the Financial Secretary regarding dues relief be answered with just another dues statement, not a year later, but a month later?

I ask, not from the viewpoint of looking to get back in to the Knights, as I am absolutely disgusted with the whole organization at this point, and have given up hope for them. I feel this should be pointed out for the benefit of those who are questioning if they themselves should join, and also for the benefit of those who are already members, as they perhaps find themselves in a position to question their commitment, or perhaps they should question what they've committed to. I made a commitment too, and now I find no reason to believe that I was absolutely wrong the whole time.

It did look like there some opportunities for fun in the Fourth Degree for the married, and a nice social facility available for members at a larger nearby council, so I'm guessing that it may be part of someone's desires to be a member. Someone on these forums recently asked a question about networking, so I guess that may be in the minds of some, but it wasn't for me. Just this year, I received a reply to a personal email from the State Deputy, where he mentioned receiving 7 to 8 hundred letters just this fraternal year, regarding unpaid dues, so I'm guessing that people might be joining looking for something, and not finding it, and so they just stop paying dues. That's not my style, but I suppose it is for some, so if someone is curious about what the Knights has to offer, maybe that's what they do, so they join, look around, then stop coming around, and stop paying. I thought it was an honor to be asked to be a Knight. I expected to find opportunities for pro-life or apologetics activities, and instead, was insulted for being pro-life.

I like the ideas you list for becoming a Knight. I never saw any helps available in the Knights to become a better Catholic gentleman. I've done all of that outside of that organization. Although I was long a faithful Catholic, and surely before even becoming a Knight, unfortunately, I've been relegated by the Knights to a status less than that of the faithless, pro-abortion, “Catholic” politicians. I did participate in fund raising, and at meetings there were opportunities to vote for worthwhile charities, and I did volunteer for more, but those opportunities have been taken away from me now. It appears that, in order for one to participate in their fundraisers, one must pay their dues first, which they know was painfully difficult for me to do. Then, there are complaints in the newsletter that there were not enough people helping out at fundraisers. I'm generally not a conspiracy theorist, but in order for there to be so much success in excluding a member, it would take a concerted effort. This is my council's solution for taking care of the neediest among them.
The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth will unveil the "mystery of iniquity" in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth.
Old Jun 7, '12, 3:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about your problems,been through a few of my own. One assumes when you join a fraternal order, whether Catholic, Protestant or a group of mixed members, that the members help each other out in times of need.I guess it depends on the people invovled in the particule council if Ko C or lodge,if one is a mason.Some members are better at helping a fellow member when down, which is what I'm reading here,.And even though your problems were your own, it still would have been nice to get a little help from them.
Thank you for your comments. I found them to be charitable, and took comfort in them.
The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth will unveil the "mystery of iniquity" in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth.
Old Jun 7, '12, 3:43 pm
Prayer Warrior

Found this on YouTube:

♰ Blessed John Paul II ♰ on the Knights of Columbus ♰
"Try to learn what is pleasing to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:10)

Read the Bible and study the Catechism.

Old Jun 7, '12, 8:20 pm

Religion: Catholic of the Roman Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlldrl View Post
dimentichisimai,

I understand what you're saying but I'd invite you to take another look at the time commitments. What I like to tell guys (and I believe this) is that you are free to jump in as deep as you'd like. For example, if you can only help at one or two events during the year then that's something. But if you'd like to take a larger role you can attend the business meetings or social gathers maybe volunteer to coordinate one of the events. It's really up to you and what you can do.

I'm a married father of 5 (11 years to 9 months) so between work and family there is always something to do...but time is what you make of it.

I'm sure this varies but many of the events my council puts on are after Mass, like the Tootsie Roll drive. All that's required is to stay a little bit late at the Mass you attended anyway.

M
That's a good point, M. There's not much pressure to do everything, just what you can. I just feel bad every time there's a pancake breakfast or something and I can't make it!
Old Jun 8, '12, 6:23 am

CatholicBoy,

I'm sorry if you have been treated disrespectfully by some who call themselves Knights. Given what you have said about your experience with the local council I can understand why you don't have a positive outlook on the Order. However, moving forward I hope that you can look beyond your council and appreciate the sacrifice of the many men across the country who are serving the Church and community with honor as Knights of Columbus.

God Bless,
Michael
Old Jun 8, '12, 9:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimentichisimai View Post
That's a good point, M. There's not much pressure to do everything, just what you can. I just feel bad every time there's a pancake breakfast or something and I can't make it!
Trust me, every little bit helps. If every member would help at one or two events a year that would really take some pressure off of the officers, directors and core members. Just do what you can.

M

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Vocations